Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a SSG 69 p1 with the ZFM 6x42 scope. The rifle was manufactered in October of 2004.
Can anyone tell me what the elevation cam that goes from 1-8 which bullet and at what speed the cam is designed for? The reticle is the German 3 post.
Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have since contacted Swarovski, and Kahles as Kahles is a subsidiart of Swarovski. No answer from Swarovski, I gave Kahles and Swarovski the scope ser# in hopes they could check. Kahles came back with an answer that the scope is built by Photonics Optische another sub of Swarovski. No answer from Photonic as of yet, Seems they deal more with military high end optical sights and laser's and do not like to deal with civilians.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have given both Swarovski and Kahles downloads a try. Neither have the ZFM scope in their downloads.
I have tried to check out Photonics so far not to much to see , and no downloads that i can find.
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Take your favorite .308 load and the gun to a range with at least 100m, and preferably 300m target bays. Start at 25m and zero for 100 m or 200 m. Move to the 100 m bay and fire 10 rounds, letting the barrel cool between each round. Adjust the sight to correct for elevation and windage (hopefully you won't really have wind to compensate). Fire another 10 rounds at another aiming point. If you do this using a rigid bench vise, you should be well within 1 MOA. Now move to the 300 m bay, and repeat.

This is all predicated on your being able to get quality ammo, i.e. consistent velocity and bullet weight. If you are reloading, you've got a better chance. You can try the standard NATO military round, and then compare it to something loaded with Barnes, or Hornady, or other.

Milsup:
2820 fps & 2650 ft-lbs with a 150 gr. boat tail solid point.

Your mileage will very a lot depending on what you're really shooting. Having a rigid gun mount will eliminate any shooter "flex" and give you a gun sighted in and well capable of splatting a fly on the target <- I love that Savage ad!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the rifle sighted in with 175 grn Berger VLD. Rifle prints .75 inch at 200 yds. What I am looking for is what the cam on the ZFM 6x42 scope elevation is rated for in bullet weight and speed. I have contacted all who may be the scope makers Kahles, Swarovski and Photonic Optische. No answers that tell me anything as of yet. Just referrals from one to the other.
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I'm suggesting that you start manipulating the cam to test the effects. You'll get a feel for what it does with your load. Then you can make a chart of the effects just like a sniper would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can do that. What I am looking for is information on the ZFM 6x42 cam What bullet and at what FPS is it designed for.
Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ah ha Delta1, this thread puts a lot of things in to context for me and all is now clear!

ZF95 6x42 with M14 ballistic cam is for 7.62x51 150.5gr FMJ bullet at MV of 2800 ftps.
Zero with elevation dial at 100yds and then check for drop.

This ends my involvment on this issue for good.
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a chance in the last few days to test some Lake City 173 grn match at 2550 fps on the chrono. This worked out quite well with the cam on the ZFM 6x . All rounds were within the parameters for military match or sniper ammunition. So my handloads will be 175 grn Berger VLD at 2550 and we should be in the ballpark. I would expect tighter groups with the Bergers than the LC Match.
Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

usually the ZFM scopes are military scopes and they were designed to work with the 145 -147 grain military FMJ bullets. Anyhow, there are other cams out there (168 grains, 190 grains....).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have sent off an email to see what cam came on this rifle as it came as a complete package. Everything is as it was when shipped from the factory.If I am not mistaken this was an assembly line overrun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah ha Delta1, this thread puts a lot of things in to context for me and all is now clear!

ZF95 6x42 with M14 ballistic cam is for 7.62x51 150.5gr FMJ bullet at MV of 2800 ftps.
Zero with elevation dial at 100yds and then check for drop.

This ends my involvment on this issue for good.
Mark
Markha
If you have been back and forth reading the OP on the different sites about the cams. You would have noted that in the end the cam for the ZFM 6x on the Styer SSG 69 worked out perfectly at all ranges with the 175 grain at 2550 fps. Very close to the Lake City 173 grain.
Instead you spewed a lot of incorrect info in the in your posting on the hunting life site which had nothing to do with the questions and answers here. And no matter how many ways you try and get past your ad of something sold as a Kahles when actualy made by Photonic.
I realize I am not near expert enough on scopes hence the original question in this post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have purchased a SSG 69 p1 with the ZFM 6x42 scope. The rifle was manufactered in October of 2004.
Can anyone tell me what the elevation cam that goes from 1-8 which bullet and at what speed the cam is designed for? The reticle is the German 3 post.
Regards
I'm sure you've already figured this out, but my 2 cents worth: I've never been able to find any info on that and from what I've seen, I don't think the elevation knob (at least on the version of the ZFM I have) is made with a particular round's ballistics in mind. It just shifts point of view a fixed amount, by .25 mils per click (25mm @ 100m, 75mm @ 300m, etc.), up to where that should put you in hundreds of meters (marks 1-8). As you know, you can follow the manual's instructions to put the elevation you most use right on and check to see how close the other range marks bring you.

There is a section of the SSG manual on the ZFM scope (pages 21-26), find it at: http://www.steyrarms.com/downloads/user-manuals/
Or click here to download a pdf of this version of the ZFM manual: stevespages.com/pdf/swarovski_zfm6x42z.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

If the ZFM is the same scope as the Kahles ZF84, which I think it is, the regular BDC is the # 335-831 designed for the FN SS 77.
http://www.kahles.at/fileadmin/kahles/englisch/pdf/ZF95_Ballistic_Cams.pdf

That is what Kahles told me when I have recently asked them which BDC my ZF84 has.
By special order, others BDC could have been ordered. It is still possible to order them directly from Kahles.

I have asked someone at the Kahles factory about the ZFM/ZF84 beeing the same scopes. I will let you know what the answer is.

Sam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I was wrong.

Here is the answer from Kahles:
"The biggest difference is that the ZFM has already a centered reticle (like the ZF95) and the ZF84 still has a non centered reticle.

Even the ZFM and the ZF95 aren't the same. They are the same kind of scope but the optics are different. "

Sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts