Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used Steyr ssg 08 a few months ago and am starting to dabble in long range shooting with it.

I have 2 noob questions:

1) I am looking for a replacement scope rail. Bought the rifle used in the spring and it came with a customized 20moa scope rail. Looks like one of the previous owners had a wedge of bedding compound added under the rail to make it more like a 50moa rail for long distance shooting.

No stability complaints about the modded rail, except that with the load workup I like and the scope bottomed out I am still 3 mrads high a 100 yards. I would really like to be able to zero out the crosshairs at 100 yards so I can build my dope table from a 100 yard zero rather than holding under 3 mrads in the reticle.

Long story short, I would like to buy a replacement 20MOA scope rail for the SSG 08. I am having difficulty determining which rail I should be getting. Seems like google leads me to SSG 69 rails, which do not appear to match the screw pattern of the SSG 08. Anyone out there can point me in the right direction?

2) I am shooting a decent volume of ammo per week and will likely continue doing so for the foreseeable future. I estimate that I will be averaging ~2000-3000 rounds per year. The rifle was purchased used with ~1000 rounds of wear when I purchased it. Looking into barrel life my research has led me to a wide range of answers for the SSG08, from 5000 rounds all the way up to 20000 rounds. Wondering if anyone has practical experience with shooting out a barrel on one of these and how many rounds it took them. My loads are not super hot and I do try to let the rifle cool down between shots but sometimes the course of fire requires rapid fire (~50-75 rounds per hour) so there are times it gets pretty stinking hot as well. Also I keep hearing that SSGs are press fit barrels, anyone know if that applies to the SSG08? or is that referring to the SSG69 and/or ssg04 only?

Love the rifle, I'd like to keep it going as long as I can.

Thanks all, ~Hip

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi hip,
Welcome to steyr family.
In order to help you, need a couple of additional info.
1 what cal is your ssg08? The reason is 338lm shoot flatter than 300wm than 308win.
2 what is your scope total elevation?
3 I had a similar issue like your earlier. I got a ai ax 338lm and it comes w a 30 moa rail. My current scope mount has 18 moa cant. So, my total cant is 48 moa. My scope has total of 110 moa travel. That gives me 55 moa up or down. 55-48 gives me 7 moa before bottom out if I want to zero at 100 yd. Or like you, have to hold over to make a shot.I had to zero at 200 yd.Or I end up mounting the scope front side back. That gives me 30-18=12 moa cant from the optic center. Now I can zero at 100.
I have a ssg04 and it uses the exactly same rail as ssg08.
To your question reg barrel life, depend on your cal. Since previous owner has around 1000 round and you still bought it, I assume it is a 308 win. From what I have read, 308 barrel usually has 7500-15000 round life. None of my rifles has even seen over 1000 rounds yet. I can not be sure how many round you can get out of your ssg08. Since steyr has one of the best cold hammer forged barrel and they pioneered the cold hammer forge technique, I would guess the ssg08 will have more than 10k+ round life.
good luck and enjoy your ssg08. Report back if you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Silentheart and thanks for the response.

1) Your assumption is correct, she's in 308.
2) The scope is a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST with a published total elevation of 19 mrad (65 moa). I've never actually checked it myself to be honest.

The scope is mounted on an American Defense Manufacturing QD mount. Its a pretty slick and solid mount but it does add a bit more height to the scope.

I'm not far off being able to zero at 100 yards, I think if I got a stock rail without a bedding wedge I wouldn't have a problem zeroing. I thought about carefully trying to remove the bedding wedge and restore my rail but the more I think about it the more I'd like to keep it as backup. I don't often get the chance to shoot at 1000 yards but I am planning to get more involved with some long range competitions. I'm thinking I might regret de-modding the rail only to find out I need it for the longer range comps. Challenge I am having is finding a rail that is published as fitting the SSG08. Seems like everything I can find is for the SSG69. Maybe I will try searching for an SSG04 rail and see if that yields better results.

Thanks for the insight into barrel life. I've never shot a barrel out before. At the long range course I took the instructor said he has been replacing his barrels every 2 years or so. Kinda freaked me out having never faced it before. From my research on google it was a bit unclear as to if the SSG08 has a threaded barrel or not. Lots of info out there about SSG69 and their press fit barrels being a pain to replace. I found a few mentions that the ssg04 and ssg08 have different barrel mounting than the SSG69 but nothing definitive on if they are threaded or not. I think I'll send an e-mail to steyr directly and see what they say.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also have 3 adm mount myself. Good qd mount except a little pain when leveling scope and tighten the screw. I assume you have a 0moa mount?
Can you check if the prior owner uses epoxy bedding compound? If so, you maybe able to remove it with acetone. Many epoxy can be soften and removed w acetone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts