SSG-08 Parker Hale spigot removal?

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Sigma05, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Sigma05

Sigma05 Member

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the Parker Hale bipod spigot from an SSG-08? The original Parker Hale is way too heavy and unstable. The Versapod knock offs are cheaply made. It seems like it should be removable with tools. I would rather do that, than hacking off the spigot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

2. Sigma05

Sigma05 Member

Ok. So I found the answer on another forum. I figure I would share this info since I'm sure that there are more SSG-08 owners out there with the same question. Seems like the rifle section here pretty much has close to no activity. Funny because I would have thought that on a Steyr specific site you would have a much better source for information. The way to remove the spigot is by removing the left and right forend stock panels. Inside is a roll pin that secures the spigot. Remove it and it should come out. I'm overseas now so I can't actually try it out till I get back home.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

3. zvb18

zvb18 New Member

Why did you decide to remove it? are planing to use a UIT rail adopter?

4. Sigma05

Sigma05 Member

I was using the UIT rail and still do. Now I run the HS50 bipod so I put the spigot back on. I kept the rail so I can use a quick release Harris long bipod for if I need to shoot above vegetation or cover in the kneeling position. Until I got the HS50 bipod, non of the spigot bipods out there where worth anything. If the B&T Atlas had been designed for the spigot instead of the for the AI mount only, I would have been running that a long time ago. The spigot design is a good idea, but nobody had bothered to make a quality effective bipod for it until Fortmeier designed the HS50 one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015