Sphinx

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by West01, Apr 25, 2007.

1. West01

West01 New Member

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Reminds me of the Glocks with maritime spring cups.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

VERY cool! Great find!

Though I'm not sure how effective a gun is going to be underwater - I'm pretty sure the bang alone would be enough to persuade me to swim the other way :lol:. Anyone know what the pricetag looks like on one of those? :shock:

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Google knows!

Holy moly, Batman! $2,565 smackers for a 9mm? I could buy one of those .50 cal. Steyr HS sniper rifles for that!

And I would if I had that kind of long green in hand. :mrgreen:

5. SELFDEFENSE

BTW, some people have jazzed their hearing to a fare thee well by testing those things underwater with insufficient precautions.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I am wondering that too, Syntax. What is the effective range of a pistol under water? Mythbusters tested how far various calibers of bullets would travel when fired into water. They found most go only a foot or two. They found the slower the bullet the farther it traveled, with a .50 BMG actually penetrating the least. It totally broke apart.

Aparently, the Sphinx was designed on request of a Swiss counter-terrorism unit.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Same principle applies to sand - slower and heavier is better...

High dollar, for sure, but I'm guessing it's a bargain compared to the H&K P11

[​IMG]

:shock: :lol: :D

8. SELFDEFENSE

Iv'e seen pictures of 6 foot travel
    Probably the same for the Sphinx as the Glock:
    (From http://www.glockfaq.com/generalinfo.htm#h2o)
    The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
    1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
    2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
    3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
    4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
    5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
    concussion.

However, any Glock -- even those not equipped with maritime spring cups -- will normally fire while submersed underwater. But doing so may generate excessive internal pressure and may cause the pistol to literally blow up. This is especially true with the use of high-pressure rounds (such as the .40 S&W/357 SIG) or hollow-point bullets.

I recall a reported incident where a Glockster on a boating holiday decided to show some friends how his Glock would fire underwater (because Tommy Lee Jones said so in the movies). He stuck his hand overboard, pulled the trigger and came back with a bunch of shredded plastic and a badly injured hand.

Another reported case was the Glockster who decided to try out his Glock 23 .40 S&W in the swimming pool after seeing pictures of Glocks being fired underwater on the web. He was totally submerged, with the gun, as he fired at a piece of wood on the bottom of his pool. The Glock did fire, the .40 S&W FMJ round left the barrel and went into the wood. The chamber also exploded and implanted shrapnel into his leg. Thinking that the water would muffle the blast, he did not wear hearing protection (the blast is actually about 4 times louder underwater). He is now mostly deaf in one ear and hears high-pitched tones most of his waking life.

As you can see, firing a pistol underwater is a *very* dangerous endeavor.
    Several things could happen:
    1) the firing pin may be slowed enough to not detonate the primer
    (without the maritime spring cups)
    2) the pistol could blow up in your hand;
    3) the concussion could damage ears, eyes or internal organs;
    4) the bullet may not go where you intend it to.

Even if you have the right equipment, know what you're doing and follow the rules -- the risks for underwater firing are minimized -- but not eliminated. Your pistol's barrel could be affected by water obstruction and your body by damaging concussion. By using hollow point bullets (water may cause the bullet to expand in the barrel), high pressure ammo, etc. -- you're asking for an underwater kaBoom! It you fire near solid or hard objects, the bouncing concussion can cause extensive, perhaps even fatal external/internal tissue injury. Why risk it? [JT]

9. West01

West01 New Member

Excellent post Selfdefence!

Thanks.

West01

:D

10. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Yeah, thanks Selfdefense.

In the mid-'90s when the H&K USPs were new, the owner of a gun shop told me that those guns could be fired underwater. He said he tried it out in a pond but neglected to use hearing protection. His hearing seemed just fine and I am not sure I believe him, for that story and others. My friend and I referred to him and his partner as "our crazy friends."

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I do believe the HK's fire just fine underwater without any modification. I know I've seen quite a few videos of folks over at HKPRO holding their guns into murky water and squeezing a few off. The slide needs to be manually racked (always? or just sometimes?), but they go bang.

12. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I believed the part about the USP being able to fire underwater, and now that you mention it, gun shop owner did say that the slide had to be racked after every shot. I am skeptical that he actually tried it. But then again, maybe he did.

13. SELFDEFENSE

I would be skeptical too if he said he shot it underwater and he wasn't reading your lips when you were talking.