Special GBs - For Italian Civil Market

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ROBOCOP195, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ROBOCOP195

ROBOCOP195 New Member

For GB collectors: there are not only the GBs made for the US XM-9 weapon test, but also for the Italian Civil Market.
    In Italy it is prohibited to posses firearms in military calibres for civilians or even non Italians living/working in Italy.
    Pistols in .45 ACP or 9 mm Luger are for Italian Military and Police only.
    So pistols offered for the civilan market in Italy had been made in .45 HP (.45 Hirtenberger Ammo Co. - out of production) or maybe in .45 GAP (the Glocks).
    The Italian replacement is now the 9 mm x 21, also known as 9 mm IMI or 9 mm Jaeger. But this ammo had been made for the first time in 1986 (starting development). - 1986 Steyr ended production of the GB.
    But in 1984 Steyr hade made a small batch of GB in 9 mm x 18 Ultra (a.k.a 9 mm x 19 Police or 9 mm Police). The origin of the 9 mm Ultra had been WW II Luftwaffe Pistols. The reason was tho equip the pilots with a small, simple pistol with more power than the 9 mm x 17 (a.k.a. 9 mm short or .380 ACP), but not as big and heavy as the 9 mm Luger pistols. But this had been no great succes.
    In the 1970s Western Germany made some experiments for new police ammo, fighting the new danger, the terror of the leftwing RAF and the PLO. So the old 9 mm x 18 Ultra make a rebirth as 9 mm x 18 Police. But the German Police finally adopt the 9 mm Luger. The 9 mm x 18 Ammo is still made in small quantities.

In 1984 Steyr want to sell ther GBs to the civilian market and for Italy they offered them in 9 mm x 18 Ultra. Steyr pressed a 1 mm steel ring inside the barrel/cartridge entry to make loading 9 mm Luger impossible. Pistols, Boxes and manuals had been marked with the new calibre. The batch of these GBs is only 50 pieces.

Earlier GBs sold in Italy, I was told by an Italian Collector, had been modified by Italian Gunsmiths not to accept 9 mm Luger ammo, but only the 9 mm Police. And the removed the letters ara from the slide marking 9 mm Para. So one can read only 9 mm P.

Best wishes from Germany.

Attached Files:

2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Wow . Thanks for Sharing

SurfGent likes this.

3. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

Bad ass !

Case likes this.
  4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

That would be pretty cool to add to the collection.

SurfGent likes this.
  5. dash

dash Member

Had these pics in my archive.
    GB in 9 x 18 (1).jpg GB in 9 x 18 (2).jpg GB in 9 x 18 (3).jpg

Michael Dobesch likes this.
  6. ROBOCOP195

ROBOCOP195 New Member

Hi dash, nice pictures. Your Italian GB is one of the Steyr factory batch, 2nd model with spur hammer.

I include some pictures from a gunsmith conversion, now offered in Italy to sell. It is an early or first model with the ring hammer.

Attached Files:

Michael Dobesch likes this.
  7. dash

dash Member

Sorry for any confusion Robocop, but the GB is not mine. I saved those pictures a log time ago and hoped to share them. That time finally came with your post about them.