Speaking of Shotguns...

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by raul1427, Dec 16, 2007.

1. raul1427

raul1427 Guest

As I wrote in another post, I have been looking for a shotgun for home defense. I want something light-weight, short for ease of maneuvering in tight places, and extremely reliable. Has anyone got any info on this?...

[​IMG]

I found a few tid bits of info. It's called a Mag7 and I think it's from South Africa, but don't know how many max rounds it can take or whether it is pump, or semi-auto.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. socofn

socofn New Member

Here is what I found from a google search on riflesnguns.com. Hope this helps. JP

The MAG-7 is a manually operated, pump-action, shotgun manufactured by Techno Arms PTY of South Africa. A close quarter's combat weapon it is best described as combination of compact submachine gun and a pump shotgun. It is very effective in room-to-room searches and in confined places. This weapon primarily offered to the law enforcement and Special Forces, looks somewhat like the to the Israeli UZI submachine guns.

It has enormous stopping power at close ranges. The customized .36 inch or 60 mm long 12-gauge cartridge adds to this power. This gave the gun an effective lethality of 45 to 90 yards.

Unfortunately, the cartridges are sometimes difficult to obtain, but the mini shells manufactured by the Aguila Ammunition Company of Mexico can easily replace these. In some cases the standard 12 gauge cartridges is modified to comply with the 60 mm chamber requirement. Its size and gauge is what makes it truly a close combat shotgun.
    High quality material is used to manufacture the gun; the receiver is made of stamped steel, while the pistol grip incorporating the five round box magazine is made of polymer. Many of its design elements make it a lightweight 4 kg or 8.2 pounds, with a detachable top-folding stock it is easy to carry around. Its length is 550 mm or 21.6 in and the barrel length of 320 mm or 12.6 inches, limits the effective range, however, these features add to its close quarter combat efficiency. The sliding forearm linked to the action platform and the bolt operates the pump action. A single locking piece connects the slot in the roof of the receiver to lock the gun. It has a manual safety lever and a special button on the forearm to operate the slide and reload the gun, which means the gun should be safely held with two hands in the height of combat, without opening the action accidentally - it also should be comfortably fired off hand.

The civilian version of the gun called the MAG-7M1, has a longer barrel and a fixed wooden stock. This meets the NFA standards of a barrel length of 18 inches or 457 mm and a total of length of 26 inches 660 mm. As the version was quite different to the original concept of close combat efficiency it did not succeed.

The gun did not prove to be popular because of some design faults. Its manual safety features are difficult to use. The actuation of safety lever is almost impossible, without removing the left arm from the pump, and it becomes all the more complicated with gloves, plus the slide lock button is tricky open in actual combat situations. All this made off hand firing difficult, which one of the important ideas behind the gun.

However, with its many innovative concepts it remains a curiosity among connoisseurs.

3. raul1427

raul1427 Guest

Thanks JP :notworthy:

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

And the Serbu tax stamp is only $5. Ballistics are going to suck out of that tiny barrel, though... It was designed to be a breacher. I'm sure it would still hurt plenty - I'd certainly be dissuaded. :twisted:

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

So bascially, you need to have a special license for this short barrelled shotgun........looks cool.....I'll bet the recoil would be pretty rough on the web of the hand.....

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Not a license - a tax stamp, just like a suppressor, machine gun, etc. The process is really easy - in this case you would only need $5, and envelope + stamp, and Quicken Willmaker.

I imagine you're right about the web of your hand - most breaching loads I've shot are slightly softer than buckshot, but I'm sure it would still be a beast. :twisted:

8. raul1427

raul1427 Guest

Wow! Thanks! :drool: Something like this is just what I was looking for. :notworthy: I also did not know about the tax stamp. Thanks again.

9. monsteyr

monsteyr Guest

10. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I am on the Tromix wait list for 2008. My number should be up sometime in June for my micro 12 build. I settled on the 8" version...and I am hoping with the form 4 that I will have my S12 back no later than August.

11. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Hi aubie515, I'm on Tony Rumore's 2008 build list as well (I'm number 313 to be precise.... though I've no idea what month of this year Tony may finally get to it).

raul1427 -- Perhaps a modified Saiga shotgun (i.e., with folding stock) is precisely what may suit your requirements. IMHO they are worth taking a look at anyway.

Here are a two images of the Saiga-20 guage I had Tony Rumore of TROMIX "tweek" for me, one with the stock extended and the other pic with the stock folded. I have to confess... although I keep her under my bed (for home protection purposes) I absolutely love taking her to the firing range. I always get.... people walking up to me and inquiring, "What kinda shotgun is THAT??? Looks like an AK47...." ("duh") :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]