So, which is which??

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by HEAVYJ, May 16, 2007.

Your Families life and yours is on the line, which one?

1. Steyr M9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. glock 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HEAVYJ

HEAVYJ Guest

I'm thinking that the M9 is not as good as the Glock 17 as far as being tough, am I right?? I want the M9, I held it again last night, It seems like a sweet little number...but , I'm hearing about some small issues hear and there on the performance of some parts on the pistol. What kind of service does these Steyrs have?? Are the parst issues still around as far as parts being hard to get?? I feel the need for this gun ...but I want a reliable gun as well, HELP. I have own Glocks and I have had 100% NO ISSUES with Glocks, I feel a pull to this Steyr. I know Glocks sometimes break down, It's just not as offten, and I have never had one (knock on wood) to do me wrong. True advise needed ASAP, I beleive the trade will go down tonight, I might be the owner of a Steyr M9 as of daybreak 5/17. This poll is if you had to battle for your families life, which would you depend on for your life and your families life on, The Steyr M9 or the Glock 17?

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

First Response

HeHe... kind of an unfair Question......

...since the M9/M9A1 should be compared to the Glock 19 size wize :D :D :D

Anyhow, I have both the Glock 17 and 19, as well as Steyr S9, M9, M9A1 & M40A1.

I absolutely LOVE how the Steyr feels in my hands... Totally makes the Glock feel like a brick in comparison....

I enjoy shooting my Steyrs MORE because they are simply more comfortable than the Glocks...

But I can shoot either of them with equal accuracy...

So, to answer your question.....

For Many Many Reasons [years of experience with each, number of available magazines/rounds in my arsenal], I have to choose my.....

GLOCK

8) 8) 8)

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I love the Steyr but have to go with the Glock. When the trigger has been pulled and the stuff has hit the fan, I need to be as certain as possible that the gun will go bang followed by another, and another, etc., without fail. The level of certainty with the Glock is higher, so it gets the nod.

I guess I just decided my carry gun, a G33 .357 Sig.

Buzz

4. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I'm going with my M9-A1. I've run about 1800 rounds through with no problems at all. That's reliable enough for me.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

put me down for the steyr.

6. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

You can't pay me enough to shoot my friends G19, it jams every other mag and feels like a brick in hand while doing it.

To quote a PD friend of mine "This is a fine weapon, I bet they're expensive". That was right after I turned him on to a couple of mags and He showed just what that Steyr can do! :shock: Oh yeah, He carries a G22! :wink:

If You have a failure w/ a Steyr, You can count on SAI for top notch service. In my experience SAI is better than Springfield Armory and Smith & Wesson! That's saying alot!
    _______
    mugdava

7. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

unfair question, as I would hope that my options would not be that reduced.
    But since ya asked and since both guns go bang when ya pull the trigger most of the time - the question becomes which one is more likely to quickly and reliably hit the target in a given situation. Still haven't mastered those trap sights but am leaning towards the Steyr for its superior handling. In an imaginary "alamo" type scenario involving thousands of rounds and a very hot barrel with no time for cleaning I'd want the Glock for its greater tolerances.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Steyr all the way! :twisted:

9. spokes

spokes New Member

Steyr is interesting and fun to shoot.
    But my G-38 is one of my HD gun's and my G-19 is one of my carry guns.
    I have to pick Glock.
    Also you should ask this question on GT. See what your poll says there.

10. steyrile

steyrile Member

I'd head straight for the Mossberg 590 and slip the M9 into my waistband as an afterthought. Don't have a Glock to compare but why worry about perfect shot placement when one has a high capacity shotgun at the ready?
    Sorry for veering off the topic.
    Health, Peace
    Steyrile

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just shot my first Glock last Saturday, so I'm definitely biased toward Steyr, in particular my M357-A1. I love that 357 Sig round in my Steyr so much, I'd choose it right now over any gun in any caliber.

That said, I'd also make a grab for my Ithaca pump and jack a 12 gauge load of buckshot in the chamber if the SHTF at my house. But in my sock drawer at the bedside, my M357-A1 is loaded up with 15 rounds of 357 Sig.

But I also gotta admit, shooting that first Glock, my G29 10mm "pocket rocket" was also quite a hoot! And with a G20 magazine, it can also hold 15 rounds of 10mm.

Who knows, the crown may rest uneasy on the head of the sock drawer king! How's that for wishy-washy?

But it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges to put 357 Sig and 10mm head to head. Not M9 vs. G19.

12. West01

West01 New Member

Go Steyr no questions! Best value...:twisted:

Many years with Glocks and experienced the beautifully and the Ugly with them. :x

Cheers!

West01

:D

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

AS much as I like my Steyrs, its rarely the gun on my bedside.....that position belongs to my Glock 35. In my car, I keep a G30 (45acp).......I own six Glocks and all the years I've shot them I have maybe two malfunctions, two bullets........my Steyrs can't beat that record.......its just a tool and I go for the tool that I know will do the job.......next on my list is my HK 45 USP......12years, zero malfunctions........talk about blocky and ugly...... :lol: I would also say that if I headed for the assault rifle my first grab would be an AK. For the same reason. You pull the trigger and it goes.....Glocks are the AK's of pistols..........

However I will say that right now Steyrs are selling for a price that is absurdly low and afordable.........I'd buy the Steyr, you can get the Glock later (and you should).........you'll never see a quality gun for such a low price again...................

14. HEAVYJ

HEAVYJ Guest

Check out the "New Topic" form HeavyJ (Well.........)

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very good point! Jeez, you know glock has a strong following when they have this kind of turn out on a Steyr forum. :lol:

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I carried a Glock 19 and 17L for over 10 years and switched to the M9 about 1,000 trouble-free rounds ago.

17. brolin_1911a1

brolin_1911a1 New Member

I traded my Glock 22 off for my Steyr S9 about three weeks ago almost even up so I guess that says which I prefer.

Since doing that, I've found that the Steyr points instinctively, something the Glock with its concrete block ergonomics never did. And my son's Steyr M9, which he bought in 2003, demontrated far more reliability than many of the local deputies' Glocks did. Try holding a Glock upside down and firing it: we did it with the Steyr. Try holding and firing a Glock using only your thumb and trigger finger to hold it: we fired a whole mag through the M9 that way just to see if limpwristing it would make it jam. It didn't.

Three weeks ago, my carry gun was either a 1911a1 or a Taurus PT140. Since trading for the Steyr S9, I find that it's become my carry gun by default and also the gun on my headboard. I like the others but somehow that Steyr ends up being the one that gets chosen.

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Going to change your monniker to
    Steyr_S9 ? :)

19. brolin_1911a1

brolin_1911a1 New Member

A valid question and an action that's been considered. However, much like the thought of changing my email address because of spam, it would be more hassle than it's worth. Plus, I still like my Brolin 1911a1. Like my Steyr, it's a bit of an oddball orphan. :?

8)

20. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I am still smarting from my M40-A1 developing return to battery and trigger reset problems after only 1100 rds, especially since it happened less than a week before LFI. My faith has been shaken, I am annoyed.

Three months ago, when it came to buying a .40 pistol for carry and training, I chose the Steyr M40-A1 over the Glock 23. Now I can't help but think I made the wrong decision. When my Steyr broke, and I was left with only one day to get a new gun and no other M40-A1s were to be had, I immediately went out and got a Glock 23. And the only reason I called around to find another M40-A1 was because of the investment in gear I had put into it. When the pressure was on and I needed a reliable, accurate gun NOW, I chose Glock.

My G23 served me very well over the last four days. I had no worries. I scored 296 (out of 300) on the LFI-I qualification. Not bad for an unfamilar gun.

Luckily, I am not restricted to one gun. Now I have both a Glock and a Steyr. I am interested to see how well I can shoot the Steyr with the new techniques and skill I learned. Once it is repaired.

To answer the original question; I have to go with the Glock.