So where are the 15-17 shot mags hiding?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Deputy276, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Steyr doesn't have them
    Gunbroker doesn't have them.
    Are they out of production or what? I want to buy a new M9-A1 but not if I can't get hi-cap mags for it. :(

2. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

3. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Will do! Thanks!

4. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Actually, I have located some used mags. But good grief, they are VERY pricey!
    DOH! Just looked again and they are completely SOLD OUT. Numrich had them for $60 each. I can get 20 shot mags on Gunbroker, but they are made by ProMag...garbage. :(

5. photog22740

photog22740 Member

I just posted two sets of new 15rd mags on gunbroker. Just FYI

6. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Must have sold already. I don't see them.

7. Magicman

Magicman New Member

I have also been looking every where for mags

Deputy276 likes this.
  8. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Good luck. I found some on Gunbroker.com. Amazing prices...bidding starts at $50 EACH. Or you can do "Buy it now" for $200 for the pair!!!!! :eek:

9. Magicman

Magicman New Member

I make mag extensions for the Steyr so that they hold 19 rounds but I kind of need mags first

Deputy276 likes this.
  10. Vee12

Vee12 New Member

I bought a pair of 15rd ers on GunBroker for $126 shipped. Found another 17rd one at my local gun show for $55. They aren't cheap, but what other choice do you have?

11. Michael Dobesch

Michael Dobesch Member

I am so glad that I bought 3 spare magazines together with my L9-A1 and now I have a total of 5 17rd mags. I will guard them like the apple of my eye ;-)

Deputy276 likes this.
  12. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

I still can't figure out WHY mags for the 1st-3rd gen pistols are so scarce. Did Steyr just say "F-it" and stop making them because the 4th gen mags won't fit or what? And why isn't the aftermarket like Mec-Gar and ACT making replacement mags? They make mags for a lot more obscure guns than the Steyr. I tried contacting Steyr and asked where are the maks for the early pistols, but Steyr is silent as a mouse and NO replies.
    Right now I can get a BRAND NEW Steyr M9 for a VERY reasonable price. But I won't buy it because of the magazine situation.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  13. Vee12

Vee12 New Member

Yes, it's a sorry situation. Great gun, no support. Looks like we're left to the Gun Broker sellers at $60-80 each...which really pisses me off.

14. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

I'm with you bro. Crappy way to treat loyal customers. How is discontinuing mags for their 1st-3rd gen pistols supposed to motivate ANYONE to buy a brand new pistol??? I don't even see where these "new" mags for the A2 pistols are any kind of improvement.

15. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

Hi Deputy276,
    Welcome to steyr world. Sorry you came a little late. Many of us earlier steyr pistol adaptors bought our spare magazine a while back ago when they were under $30 each. But be patient, the mag will show up again when craziness subside and settle around $30-$35. Sorry, I only have 4 15 and 4 17 rounders for my m9a1. Not for sale.

16. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Ya know, I wish I could believe that. But Steyr sure isn't singing that song. As a matter of fact, repeated letters to Steyr go totally unanswered. I dunno if they think "Silence is Golden" or what. But it's starting to leave a rotten taste in my mouth about even buying Steyrs. I can pretty much get mags, barrels, and a ton of accessories for my Glocks, Berettas, SIGs, 1911s, and S&Ws. I thought I'd give Steyr a chance. So far...pretty much a fail from Steyr. When they don't even answer inquiries, that's pretty crappy. :mad:
    I don't know if you remember the Bren 10 pistol. But it seems like Steyr is following in their footsteps. Guns with no magazines.

17. DrthVadr

DrthVadr New Member

I pretty much feel the same way at this point. I've contacted them 3 times about mags and all I've gotten is crickets. What a wonderful pistol that I will be keeping, but I don't think I will be purchasing another.

Deputy276 likes this.
  18. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Sad to say, but I agree with you 100%. It will be a cold day in Hades before I buy another Steyr anything. I really thought this pistol would be my replacement "go-to" pistol for all the others. Turns out it will probably just collect dust in the gun safe or be an "occasional" range gun. Only thing that can change that is an apology from Steyr and the release of replacement magazines in large quantities.

In the meantime, I just ordered nine 17-shot magazines to replace the 15-shot mags I was using for my Beretta metal frame pistols. Also ordered a new barrel from Beretta as a second barrel for my 96A1 .40 S&W. Now I am covered for both .40 S&W and 9MM!!! :D

19. jhb

jhb Member

wow. what a pile.........

glad I got a bunch already years ago and when they were affordable.

come on steyr dont do this to us.....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Deputy276 likes this.
  20. Toysrme

Toysrme New Member

Year before last (2018) I bought three spare mags at the Steyr open house for $15-20 each for my L9-A1.

Was happy to find they work just fine in my new L9-A2. The but plates are smaller leaving a gap, but that’s no real concern for me. I won’t be carrying with the A1 mags. Just having fun at the range.

One could easily enough mold & cast replacements for the last gen A1 if it bothered them enough.