Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...should I get an open top or one with a thumb snap? I noticed that the Fist has the option of getting a remvable thumb snap on the holster and blueline also offers that as an option (non-removable). Does the open top feel as secure as the thumb snap? What are the pros and cons of either one? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Unless it is for OWB or duty purposes, get one without the thumb snap. I'm sure there are those that will disagree (there always are), but a CCW holster needs no type of retention system. It will just slow you down and it is astronomically unlikely that the retention system will ever serve any purpose for you.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Ditto on that too............... 8)

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya *bossa :)

Just say NO to thumbsnaps gets my vote for the M and S Series Steyrs.

Wulf <-- his $0.02 worth

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im going to jump in with a dissenting voice. Get a nice carry holster without. And also get one with. I like to open carry when I'm riding, hunting, on the ranch, etc. Really the only time I really want the retaining strap is when I'm riding though. So if your open carrying and your bouncing everywhere, get a strap. Just depends on what your going to be doing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Open carry definietly needs a strap to prevent anyone from walking up and grabbing your gun before you can react.
Also if you plan on wrestling people or riding roller coasters while carrying, get a strap.

Otherwise forget it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking of a Fist #43 with the optional removable thumb snap. I like the way this holster looks, works, and is put together. I can't carry in my state so I am looking for a holster for backpacking and camping. What about a drop leg tactical? Who makes a good tactical holster for the Steyr M40-A1?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unless you need to drop it to your leg, try to avoid it. Usually a pistol rides much better on a hip, and the weight is felt much less. You might also want to make sure that you can open carry in your state while backpacking. As for a good holster maker for drop downs, I dont know. Arent most of them the semi-sloppy fit-all ones?

Forgot to add: Even though a holster on a belt will often draw a lot of unwanted attention, a drop-down is almost guaranteed to double that attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts