So here's an odd one... 9x21mm M(A1)?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Syntax360, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This is certainly just someone's mistake, but Genitron shows the Steyr M and M-A1 series being available in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, and 9x21mm (EDIT - Thanks fpr catching that, Thundbear!). Any ideas why they might have 9x21mm listed? What an odd caliber to pull out of the air and list for the Steyrs...

2. Angel

Angel Guest

Re: So here's an odd one...

Don't quote me on this but I believe the M series was available in Europe in 9X21mm at one point. Don't know how I remember that though.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...they also list the MA1 9x21mm with a 12 rd capacity magazine, yet the M 9x21mm shows a 14rd capacity magazine...

...I suspect, initially, without further research, they have made some errors....

[now, someone prove me wrong!!!!]

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Wow - in the ultra-unlikely event that there was a 9x21 M or M-A1, wouldn't it make the ultimate Steyr aficionado collector's piece? Still, I'm siding with babj in believing this to be a mistake...

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

'Tax, 9mm Largo is 9x23. 9x21 is the European answer to sanctions against 'military' cartridges, such as 9x19mm. Some countries prohibit pistols to be produced in such calibers as the military uses. In a rather American fashion.. to get around those rules, they just made the case length bigger, ending up with a more powerful round than the military cartridge that's verboten!

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

To elaborate a bit on 'Bear's info...

From Wikipedia:

The 9 x 21 mm IMI pistol cartridge was designed for those markets where the 9 mm Luger cartridge cannot be purchased by civilian users, notably Italy.

Based on the 9 mm Luger cartridge, the casing was lengthened from 19 mm to 21 mm. The bullet sits a little deeper, which results in the same overall length as the 9 mm Luger cartridge.
    ________

The only 9x21 Midway has is Fiocchi 123gr FMJ-TC for $18.00/50rds. Very limited choice but not terribly expensive.

Will aquiring an M9-A1 in 9mm IMI be the ultimate test of Steyr devotion?

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

So would it then fire just fine out of a regular M9A1? :?

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

It certainly begs the question do you need a 9x21 IMI barrel? And if so, could you get one from Steyr?

9. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It appears to be an M9A1 with 9x21 stamped on the other side - I'm willing to bet it's the same gun. A 9x21 stamped slide would still be an awesome "collector's item" :D

11. smores

smores Guest

If the case is longer as posterboy7 says, it's probably just a different barrel or maybe even the chamber is just slightly different. But yeah, it would be interesting to have one :)

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

you'd need the 9x21 barrel.

the round is located in the chamber by its neck. the case being longer means a longer rim to neck dimension meaning it won't go into battery. if you had the barrel, you could use everything else.

neat find. never heard of a steyr in 9x21.

maybe we can get igb to do a .38 super and a .40 super conversion for the as-of-yet-unannounced-but-we're-all-still-hoping .45.

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

dang!!!!

Now I have yet ANOTHER Steyr I have yet to add to my collection!

:evil: :evil:

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If it is marked on the frame I would presume it to have originally been a Euro 9x21 (with a "reverse conversion" back to 9x19)?

15. Kokitron

Kokitron New Member

9x21

I agree with Thunderbear. The 9x21 cartrige was designed for civilian use and maybe even LEO in some european countries. I know for a fact that its used in Italy for sport/Target competition. Italy has a long tradition as a an arms manufacturing country (Beretta and others).

Italy is actually is Number 7 in the line up of the worlds most industrial countries. So I would assume that their neigbors, the Austrians, found a good civilianmarket for exporting their arms to for.

There is a guy from Italy that posts in the AUG section that would be able to explain the details of the Italian arms regulations to us. Hope he sees this thead and chimes in with his 2 cents.

BTW this is what Wikipedia says: The 9x21 is based on the 9 mm Luger cartridge, the casing was lengthened from 19 mm to 21 mm. The bullet sits a little deeper, which results in the same overall length as the 9 mm Luger cartridge. As it is a rimless round, the 9x21 is used in USPSA/IPSC competition in Open class firearms. The reason being is that the semi-rimmed case will not lock together in a double-column magazine, causing a malfunction. As other .38 Super based rimless cases became available, the 9x21 decreased in popularity in the US for competition use, but it is still widely used in the rest of the world. These competition rounds are handloaded and not available commercially.

K