Smithing

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Can anyone get some data on the dimensions of Glock or similar guide rods?
    The idea is to find another pistol with a match for the M9 for which a Lasermax sight is made and use it in the Steyr.
    If nothing is an exact match, but it is close enough and can me properly modified, then I think I would try to use it.....
    I know 12 Voltman has the dimension of the Steyr, but are there any Glock owners out there with the other half of the equation?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Glock 17 at home...I can try to measure the rod when I get home. The problem is that the Glock uses a captured spring, so it mightbe a little tough to get the exact diameter. But I can give it a try!

Jim

3. Ripped

Ripped New Member

my g23 has a lasermax in it.. no way thats goin in an s40... totally different dynamics.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ripped how do you like the lasermax?? I have been thinking about getting one for my XD now that they are available. I spent $300 on a M6 which I thought was worth every penny so the lasermax might be next on my list.

5. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I gotta believe these products are way overpriced.

I don't know if there is any similar product out there, and the design is 100% cool as hell. I admit, I want one NOW.

But $300+ for that seems outrageous. Let's be honest - those stupid handheld laser pointers can be bought for $5 or $10. There's not much difference between those and the LaserMax. Yes, I'm sure the thing is beefed-up to take the abuse. But still, it's just a skinny laser pointer with a modified switch.

Goddamn it, I wish I had a stocked workshop. I would be working on one of these for the Steyrs. I have to believe the parts cost virtually nothing, and the hardest part would be integrating the swtich so there are no permanent firearm modifications necessary to install/use it.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks!

Appreciate the prompt responses. I have never had a Glock apart, so I am clueless......
    I see where Navyguy is on the Ruger Forum too.
    I have a P-89 with the Crimson Trace grips. An amazing accessory! I wish they would make a laser sight for the Steyr, but reality bites! There is no way anyone is going to develop a commercial product for such a small number of pistols.....
    I think we are on our own.... but given the resourcefulness and genius available here, there is hope!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

TJ I have Ct grips on my little J frame Smith. They are one of the best investments I have ever made in one of my guns. It really helps me shoot faster and more accurately. I would love to see a laser that I can put on my S9 for packing purposes.

8. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Re: Thanks!

Ct also makes a guierod laser for glocks.
    I e0mailed them about Steyr pistols and they said "not cuurently, but we'll keep it in mind" read polite brush off

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I like the CT product, but....

I waited for a long time for them to produce the P series grips.....
    They have been great with customer service and I can't fault them for not trying to make lasers for everything out there, but I have doubts that they will ever seriously consider the Steyr......

10. Ripped

Ripped New Member

honestly , the lasermax , as far as dead aim accuracy.. sucks.. quite simply.. aim center with the red dot and blam 3 inches left and 2 inches low.. use the sights on the g23 dead on.. its a nice scare tactic, but other than being a flashy novelty item for your firearm its def not worth 300.00 NIB.. i bought mine used for 150.00 shoulda spent the money on an M3 light instead.

11. FWF

FWF New Member

Are the guide rod style lasers adjustable? Assuming the guide rod and the barrel point the same place is a pretty big assumption.

If they are adjustable, how do they stay sighted in? I have noticed that the factory guide rod in my M9 often rotates a bit when the gun fires.

I think if I decide to mount a laser on my M9 I'll probably buy one of the cordless universal models and mount it to the rails using the most compact mount I can come up with.