Smith M&P Range report

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by madecov, Apr 22, 2007.

1. madecov

madecov Active Member

I'm impressed Very Happy

Took the M&P 9mm out for it's first day at the range.

I brought an ammo can of about 1400 reloads and 2 boxes of Gold Dots.
    Set up my silhouette targets on the line and loaded up.

I shot about 153 rounds of reloads without a single malfunction. Then I loaded a magazine with 17 rounds of 124 grain +P Gold Dots and fired them off without any malfunctions.

Next I loaded the magazines alternating Gold Dots and reloads, same story. This is getting boring.

Accuracy was impressive, I was putting all the rounds in under 2" at 15 yds. at 25 yds 3" groups were the norm. The gun hit almost exactly at point of aim.

I can only imagine what she'll be like after I have the trigger worked on.

Now I just have to wait for the department to have an open qualification so I can carry it on and off duty..........Oh yeah, I'll have to get a Safariland holster for it.

Total round count for the day was about 300 or so.

This is in no way a reflection on the Steyr M40A1, The Steyr beats the M&P hands down for handling and accuracy. Not to mention the trigger on the Steyr is far superior. The M&P is a decent second handgun with a similar manual of arms. It also has the edge in the ability to get duty holsters for it.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

wow. three days and no replies.

glad you like the m+p. i was pretty impressed the first time i held it. feels good, the one i tried even had a decent trigger out of the box.

i'm sure you would have gone with a steyr to fill this role but...

3. madecov

madecov Active Member

Had I never handled a Steyr, I would consider the M&P to be one of the best polymer guns made. BUT since I own a Steyr I can feel and see the difference. The Smith just isn't as smooth.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

That's kinda cool.

Is mag similar to the Sigma? It'd be nice if we could mod the M&P mags to fit.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

good point 'bear!!1

can you insert an m+p mag into a steyr?

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

I'll advise on that when I get the time.

7. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Madecov!

I agree, the M&P is nice, but the M-A1 is something special. The M&P trigger gets better w/ time, in fact my M&P trigger is just as smooth as my M-A1. Here's a pic of a target I put 10 neat little holes in w/ my M&P 9mm last Saturday:
    [​IMG]

Hey Bigtaco, Hey Thunderbear, Hey Madecov!

I just tried a M&P 40 mag, it appears to work. Of course a new slot would need to be cut for the mag catch, but that wouldn't take much! Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

It even looks like the base plates might be interchangeable! I'll look into it and post the results. Keep in mind my M357-A1 mags and M&P40 mags are 10 rounders(California!).
    _______
    mugdava

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Madecov, I thought the Dept wouldn't let you mess with modifying anything on a duty weapon :?: Can't touch it down here in sunny Florida....

That mag has a funny angle to it on the bottom. I think the Sigma mag fits better from looking at it........

I shot a broken in M&P 40cal and thought the tirgger was as good if not better then a Steyr. But the high bore angle was not as good as the Steyr. At CDNN prices, I'll stick with the Steyr and my Glock tools........... :D

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

That mag has a funny angle to it on the bottom. I think the Sigma mag fits better from looking at it........

until somebody machines a more aesthetically pleasing baseplate that snaps right in :D

if it works of course. also gotta check mag prices. a baseplate could be done for the sigma mags, but by the time you pay retail for the sigma mag, add a spring, cut a slot, and machine a baseplate... we're back to the $50-70 range.

somebody might be better off buying a big honking press and machining progessive dies and just make the whole mag. then again, making magazines is more or less an art form. one that some magazine manufacturers have trouble with.

but if m+p mags are on every dealer's shelf for $10-20, we might be in luck[/quote]

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Depends on what you modify. A trigger job isn't considered a modification as long as all parts are stock. Most Departments will allow things like a lasermax or crimson trace.

A barrel conversion to another caliber is a no no without re qualifying. A basic trigger job on the M&P is really just a lot of polishing, no spring changes.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

That trigger job is a no no down here in this county at least.........politics............... :roll:

12. Hey how is the finish on the M&P?

Is it as tough as the Glock finish or worse?

Is it on par with the Steyr finish or better?

13. czgunner

czgunner New Member

I have had my M&P9 for a few months now, and it is hands down the best pistol I have ever fired. I haven't fired my new M9 A-1 yet, so that may change :D
    This weapon is so well thought out it's amazing.
    I had pretty much given up on finding a pistol that fits my small hands. This one does, and with a 17 round mag?
    The finish had been VERY durable on mine.
    It ate hollowpoints right out of the box, and I've abused it with some '90's era Wolf 9mm w/out any problems.
    This pistol definately made me a better shooter, because for the first time I can actually correctly manipulate the controls well on a service size pistol. I do still have a soft spot for my SIG P225 and Kahrs though... :D