Smith and Wesson M&P

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by IDPASteyr, Feb 5, 2006.

1. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

I hate to say this guys, but I met a lady today that could entice me to leave my Steyr. Handled a brand new M&P today and it is a great handling pistol. All the ergonomics of the Steyr with some really neat features like replacable back straps, reversable mag release, and ambidextrous slide release. It is really impressive, ordered two in 9mm for Ms. Steyr and I. They are only available in .40 at this time and the 9s should ship in April/May. I'll keep you all posted.

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

There have been some reports of the pins working loose.
    keep an eye on that.

3. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

didn't like it....

Handled one of them at a gun show on Sat. Didn't like it much, the slide release is so minimal i had to pul the slide back to get it to release, had so little leverage on it....no idea how it shoots though.

just my opinion...

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

let's not be hasty...

idpam&p doesn't have much of a ring to it!!

5. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Big Taco, Point well taken, I guess I'll have to stick with the Steyr.

6. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

yeah but for a southpaw the reversible mag catch and the ambi slide release are powerful arguments

7. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Chef, You're right. Also the fact that it also drops the slide reliably when the loaded magazine is inserted.

8. srfl

srfl New Member

I'm going to SHOT this week and plan on fondling the M&P to my heart's content.

9. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Say it aint so IDPASteyr :(

How much do we know about the M&P's finish, its natural point compared to the Steyr M, its limited recoil and muzzle flip? I mean if it has less recoil than the Steyr M and less muzzle flip it must be like shooting a BB gun. What the trigger like, I've seen too many poly guns with terrible triggers compared to the Steyr M's. Plus, you'll have to live without those beautiful trapezoid sights, unless you can install them. Not to mention at the end of the day you're not going to be the only guy out on the field with a Steyr and you wont feel special. :(

If you fire the M&P though and it works for you more than your Steyr has (what 90,000 + rounds for you so far?) than go with it. Best gun should always win, but I'll put money on the Steyr anyday.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i don't think idpasteyr uses the trap sights. and he's left handed so ambi controls could be a plus. although 90,000 rounds without them...

my main question would definitely be the trigger. i'm all about the taurus 24/7. feels great, points great, fills my hand perfectly. but i can't stand the trigger. and no amount of massaging would touch the steyr trigger in comparison. maybe the m+p is the next step in trigger feel as the steyr was to the glock. i hope to find out soon. but i'm not expecting much at this point.

the plus is reliably dropping the slide on a mag insert. (which i was not previously aware of.) i got a magazine jammed in my m9 really well during a match because i knew if i slammed it in, it would drop the slide. so in the attempt to save .10 seconds, i cost nearly a full second dealing with that.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I played with a pre-production prototype at the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA) Conference last year at the S&W booth. It was prototype but the trigger was great, just like Steyr as the subframe is also steel. Short reset, crisp break - it felt like it would be a perfect alternative to Steyr as back then the service and support of our beloved guns was quite iffy.

The grip angle is exactly that of a 1911, and I don't think the bore axis is as low as a Steyr - I've still never seen anything that is lower. It seems to be between a Glock and a Steyr in that respect, so quite close. The slide is shorter (less tall) than the Glock so it is that much shorter. I posted about this a while back and Mr. Apathy replied that the M&P is an evolution of the Sigma and has the same bore axis but obviously everything else is considerably improved:

http://www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1036&highlight=

The exchangeable backstraps have the biggest effect on the grip - much more than the Walter P99's.

Probably the biggest selling point to me is S&W behind it. Big company, big resources (they say it was developed from the ground up in the MA HQ for USA shooters) so aftermarket support with fiber-optic sights and trigger work should be very good. Only the 40's are out now and the 9's won't be out till later this year.

Charlie Petty is a friend of mine and he seemed to like it very much in his review for American Handgunner. And he shoots EVERYTHING - ALOT.

Jeff

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

We all were talking about buying Glock 30' and the firearms instructor is saying just wait for this M&P !!!!!! He really is hot on this one.......likes everything about it especially the cleaning process of having to open the slide and pull back the lever (circa Ruger) to remove the slide without pulling the trigger......Boy S&W really borrowed the best of everything from everybody to build this one...........SO WHERE'S THE 45 :!: :!: :!: :lol:

13. ministerofdeath

Well,

I did some looking around on the internet and tried to compare some stats that were available for the M&P and the Steyr MA1 series. I found that the Steyr MA1 is smaller in size (7.09" x 5.12" x 1.18") versus the M&P (7.5" x 5.5" x 1.2"). The Steyr has the lighter trigger pull as well with a 5 lbs. trigger pull versus the M&P's 6.5 lbs. trigger pull. The trigger travel rest to fire is so close between the Steyr and M&P it's too close to call really.

The real advantage to me was in the safety devices in the weapons with the Steyr MA1 having the automatic trigger safety, which is absent from the M&P. Both seem to have very durable finish materials and both seem to have great grip features. However, the Steyr MA1 still has that 111 degree grip angle that creates a natural point over the less extreme grip angle of the M&P.

Verdict:

Too close to call really, alot of the differences aren't really a positve or negative against either pistol. It is all pretty subjective to what the shooter is going to like most. Perhaps being left handed would be more than enough reason to buy the M&P, but I don't see any reason for a right handed fella to run out and buy one instead of a Steyr.

14. Matches

Matches New Member

If things dont work out for me and my M9 I will definitely keep this one on my radar.

Matches

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I set the booth up today at the SHOT Show and when I was picking up my exhibitor badge there was drawing for exhibitors with the prize being...

a fabulous, brand new...

Smith & Wesson M&P .40!

I'll be sure to post a review when I win the pistol.

Jeff

16. ministerofdeath

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I'm a lefty and I don't give a damn what ambidexterity S&W builds into the pistol, I'll stick with the Steyr.

Edit: Good luck, Jeff!

18. madecov

madecov Active Member

Went to the local funstore today and checked one out.

Almost as nice as a Steyr but not quite up there in finish.
    The exposed roll pins liiked really bad.

Trigger wasn't bad at all.

IF there isn't any decent duty leather developed for the MA1 in the next year it is a real contender

19. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

M, My wife has started transitioning to the M&P. Fits her small hand better than the Steyr and the reversable magazine catch works better for her reloads. If you want to try one out, give me a call. My personal opinion is that if no major faults show up with this pistol, it is time to buy some Smith and Wesson stock. This gun is being marketed and produced the way Steyr should have been doing a year ago.