Slide won't release - M40-A1

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by KW, Jan 20, 2007.

1. KW

KW New Member

Hello All - I joind the Styer Club in November '06 when I purchased a M40-A1. I had not been a gun owner for more than 20 years when I purchased my M40. After coming across an endorsment by a local firearms trainer on his website, I stared my research. With the ample info I found here on this resource, I was determined to get myself a Steyr.

To date, I have put about 500 rounds through the gun with little issue. Any snags I have had along the way, I have chalked up to the "break-in" period and/or my own amatuer mistakes and techniques.

Now to the current issue a hand. I break down the gun and clean it after every trip to the range. However, today I sat down to start cleaning and I can not get the slide to release from the gun. After releasing the disassembly lever the slide will release forward but only about 1/4" before stopping. I have racked it back and forth pretty good a number of times but to no avail. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and keep up the good work.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

make sure the chamber and mag well(no magazine) is empty pull the trigger. or grab the slide put your finger on the trigger take up the slack in the trigger apply gentle pressure slowly pull the slide back and the gun will decock then let the slide go forward. should come off for disassembly after hitting the takedown lever.

seriously hope that takes care of that if not please dont hesitate on posting cause it will be the first I have heard of that happening with the striker/trigger not set. :?

3. KW

KW New Member

MrApathy - Thank you for the advice. Applying pressure to the trigger and pulling back on the slide did the trick. Not sure, but I may have done that in the past and just did not realize I was doing it. Being my first autoloader, I have much to learn about it operation. Thanks for the lesson.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

glad it worked out, welcome to steyrclub.

5. hihoslva

hihoslva Guest

You do not have to apply pressure to the trigger during disassembly.

Simply make sure the trigger has been pulled before beginning disassembly. Make sure the chamber is empty, the mag is out, then dry-fire the gun and proceed with takedown.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

*silva <-- What he said 8-O

...course if ya already got it apart before ya trigger it, you'll hafta backpeddle and then

MrAp* <-- What he said 8-O

Wulf <-- Knows 1st hand :roll: