Slide Space

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mggilley, Sep 17, 2011.

1. mggilley

mggilley New Member

Just bought a new Steyr M-A1 9mm pistol, can't shoot it as am leaving state today for 2 weeks but will spend some time w/it when back. I noticed a good amount of space between the slide and polymer body when viewing from the side, which I can change by pinching top to bottom, the slide and body at the muzzle. I can increase this space by spreading the slide and body apart, makes me think that the barrel just "floats" relative to the pistol frame. Nothing abnormal here I'm assuming.

2. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Welcome, mggilley. That gap is, I think, normal - I've got it on an M40, M40A1 and M40A1 second gen. No problems noticed so far, but if I think about it too much I do find myself wondering a little bit about how the durn thing hangs together when it goes off.

3. mggilley

mggilley New Member

That's me! I'm thinking and looking at it too much, if it lights off when I pull the trig and hits where I point it, I'll be happy, thanks for the reply.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm pretty sure every polymer gun I've owned has that gap; steal framed, not so much...

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The cool thing about the Steyr is the MIM module which holds the trigger mechanism, and slide in constant juxaposition. When you look at the rear of the grip, you can see the two little square holes in the polymer where the MIM is centered in the grip. (They were causing blisters on my hand, so I rounded the edges of them - voila no more blisters. )

The only load on the front of the grip is the trigger guard and maybe a thumb (depending on your grip). If you push sideways with your thumb, you can move the front of the grip sideways somewhat - since it's not what is controlling your barrel position, it isn't a big problem, but it does indicate that you need to change your grip mechanics slightly for less side force.