Slide not staying open

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Xahrrn, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Xahrrn

Xahrrn Guest

Well, I cleaned the mag thoroughly and it still is not keeping the slide open after the last shot.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I don't like to have to count AND remember when I'm shooting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Be well,
    Xahrrn

2. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Have you tried more than one magazine?
    Does the slide lock work manually?
    Check for any burrs or rough spots on the slide lock arm particularly at the contact points and ensure that the mechanism moves freely and returns under spring tension.
    Check the contact point between the slide lock mech and the slide (on the slide) for damage, burrs or debris.
    Check to make sure that the mag follower is making contact with the slide lock where it should.
    Check the mag follower for damge/wear.
    These are all general points to check as I do not have my Steyr here to look at right now.
    You should be able to remove the slide and insert an empty mag to watch the follower contact and and activate the slide lock mech.

Someone with more time on the Steyr may be able to tell you specifics to look for.

PM MrA or BigTaco if you dont figure out the issue on your own.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Almost certainly the mag spring. I had 2 steyr and 4 USPc mags do this. Order new mags, and when you get them, send your old ones back to Steyr to get 2 new good ones. :)

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya X*

Hell ova handle, Bro/GF. Drop the mag and make sure your firearm isn't loaded. Pull the slide from your M-A1 so you can observe the mag being inserted into the mag well until it locks up. Drop the mag using the mag release and see wass happein'? :shock: Post what ya think is happenin' to prevent the mag from dropping free. <shrug> When everything is workin' as designed, it should drop free, assembled or not. <shrug> Good luck. :)

Wulf