Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pleased to see my M40 (357sig IGB barrel) slide back from Steyr. Gosh I mailed this last week and its back already with a new firing pin, spring, firing pin spring rod.... :D I'm not sure if Jeff got to test fire it (I hope), but said that the "drop in" barrel should be OK with a little more filing of the rough spots.... Beware of IGB barrels baring false claims.............. :evil: So now to take it back to the range for a test ride...
..........by the way all you 357Sigers, SportsmansGuide has Triton 357Sig 135g (pictured as JHP) 100 for $24.50. That is a big saving on hollow points and even a good price for shootable practice rounds.......WWW.Sportsmansguide.com or
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=313421
check it out before they are all gone. The 125er's are out already........ :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Some feedback from GlockTalk on this ammo:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php ... ght=triton

Distant Tea said:
"Horrible buy... Triton Quick-Shok from Sportsmansguide (bigish pics)
I thought I was getting quite the deal. In a world where a box of hydrashocks for a 9mm can cost you $15 fro 20 rounds I thought the idea of getting a box of 50 Triton Quik-Shoks for under $11 from sportsmansguide was a darn near holistic experience.
Let me share my disapointment. For starters I thought this was new old stock of the now defunct Triton's own manufactured premium ammo. In reality Triton's new owner, American Ammunition (A-Merc) shoddily put together what should have been good stuff and made something I'd feel bad about buying from a reloader.
They even kept the black box so nobody would notice and used the Triton name so that unless you spun the box around and saw the fine print (or opened the box) you'd never know it was "new" production. All brass has the A-Merc headstamp for starters... brass and bullet jacket look like crap. Oh well it dosn't have to look pretty to be effective right?
Whats this? I don't know... to the best of my knowledge it looks like tiny wood particles jammed in the hollowpoint. Also notice the buldge in the casing. I'm not happy about the bulge and quite frankly not sure if the bulge is out of spec for the round and I'm wondering if I should shoot it.
The ammo on the left were unblocked, the ammo on the right had the wood particles in them. I very very gently fished the stuffing out of those with a very small screw driver. Not only were some stuffed with that crap but I had trouble finding two where the inside lead looked alike. Some had deep divits and some had overflows. So much for consistancy. I bought 5 boxes... later boxes were slightly better but not much. I went through all 250 rounds to make sure there weren't any super problems.
I would really appreciate it if someone would help me on the bulge thing... is a visually noticable bulge dangerous to shoot? Winchester Whitebox is straight as an arrow.
After 250 rounds I had fished out this much of that wood crap material. I'd say about 15% of the ammo had this stuff in it. At least if 100% had it I'd think it was supposed to be there.
So lets say this again, there is no substitute for quality self defense ammo. There are no deals to be had. This is what you get."

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O MY GOSH......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMERICAN.... 8-O ............NO WAY WILL I ACCEPT THAT SHIPMENT.........YOU CAN BET I'LL BE SENDING THEM BACK IN A HEARTBEAT. Thanks for the heads-up SELF D.............It's not getting in my front door..............You know when they advertise Triton, you should get what is advertised. you can bet I'm going to give some poor customer service supervisor an earfull come monday........... :evil:

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
In the rest of the Glocktalk thread it says that the Triton name and remaining unassembled components were bought by Amerc when the real Triton sadly went belly-up. Too bad, I really liked shooting their 450 SMC out of my Colt 1991.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steyr back from my friend. He realized that the barrel wasn't locking up due to it rubbing against the extractor ( 8-O just what a Steyr needs :!: ).
So a few filings and less than a thousandth off the barrel itself and BAM...
The 357sig barrel fits perfectly and tighter then the factory. I'm expecting accuracy to be too scary now...........range report up this weekend. I am really stunned sometimes when I pick up this pistol and just look at it and feel it in my hands... It's so unlike anything out there and so well made...
..........I feel fortunate to have just stumbled over this pistol trying to get a cheap deal for my GF. And luckier that she couldn't handle the forty well.
Then finding out about it's design.........WOW......I think we are all lucky :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts