slide and polymer cleaning?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by mod06, May 13, 2006.

1. mod06

mod06 New Member

Couple other questions Gents,
    As you all know the MA1-40 slide kinda has a green color to it which I really like. Real new at this and didnt know if any of the cleaners/oils will cause discoloration or anything. And any preferred polymer cleaner? Once again, thanks for all the advise. :)
    mod06

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

I use brake parts cleaner.
    It acts like a de-greaser so I oil the slide to get it nice and even colored again.

The Shhoters choice grease (synthetic) in very small amounts makes the slide nice and slick. but it does leave fingerprints.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I use the break cleaner too and it leaves a funky looking pattern when it drys. I rub a small amount of oil that is obsorbed to even out the finish...very little.
    Just enough to pretty up the slide then wipe all of it off with a clean rag......

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

dish soap on the plastic.

rem oil on the slide, let it evaporate, then a dry cloth wipe down. i let the parkerizing do it's thing. i want the exterior to be dry so there's no slipping during usage.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

dish soap? I'm wondering if that means the outside grip area? or the simple green on the whole receiver area, metals parts and all??? I like the idea, of water based cleaners but worry about water and metal........... When I tear down my Glocks completely I simple green the polymer reciever

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

dish soap on the plastic frame, with the subframe removed.

as far as water, don't worry about it. that's what the tennifer is all about. various sources of moisture from daily carry doesn't cause rust.

for a good thorough cleaning the whole sub-frame assembly gets hosed with blistering hot water. shake it, wipe it, re-lube and she's good to go.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

My M9's slide started off green. After range work, oiling and cleaning, the color is now becoming dark blue/black and it's beginning to match the color of the frame.

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

8-O

Simple Green sprayed on generously, warm water to wash it back off and compressed air to get all the water back out and off. Breakfree to relube it and coat it...wipe all excess off and you're good to go. Barrel cleanin' has its own techniques, but I still like to spray a little Breakfree on it and in it, wiping all the excess back off and running a patch through the barrel, leaving a thin coat of lube to ease the first round through the bore. Works every time. <shrug> Any questions?

Wulf

9. mod06

mod06 New Member

Thanks for all the input Gents! Once again I appreciate it! :)

mod06