slam, bang ipsc shoot 'em up

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by bigtaco, May 2, 2010.

1. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

any persons who read this are invited to join me at the McDonald sportsmen club on April 9th for an excellently run ipsc shoot hosted by one of my friends. don't forget to call mom on the way to having fun.

bring your gear and shoot.

i'd recommend 1 gun, one holster, 4-5 magazines/pouches and 150-200 rounds. (150 for shooting, 50 for missing steel:cuss:)

or bring your eyes and ears and check it out.

if you've seen the masters like Leatham and Jarret on youtube... i don't shoot anything like that. they can shoot fast AND hit the target. i have to choose between the two.

there are however several master class shooters who are enjoyable to watch and approachable.

tupperware welcome, steyrs preferred. bring a brazzos and watch me drool!! good chance i'll be shooting a steyr :rofl:

if interested, reply here or send me a pm or an email: [email protected]

we can talk/meet before the match if you have any questions.

if you're coming, and history proves correct, you can plan on: at least one 25 yard weak hand only shot, at least one 4" piece of steel that will NOT go down no matter how many times I miss and plenty of opportunity to shoot from the left side of a barricade. my three least favorite skills of course. he does it to ME on purpose out of spite. :salute:

there's nothing like shooting at popping, swinging and falling targets with a stopwatch recording your prowess. or the opposite of prowess in my case.

OffArtist may make an appearance modeling the finest in tin foil hat couture. :tinfoil:

and stonewally just might show up to prove it wasn't beginners luck his first time out.

2. Derosa54

Derosa54 New Member

April 9th? What is the location?

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

McDonald sportsman's club in McDonald, PA.

from pittsburgh, take 376 south to 22/30 and head west on 22 to 980. make a right and another right into the club. i got lost the first time i went so if you want to meet somewhere in robinson township and go the rest together that'll be fine.

the shoot isn't on their internet calendar but it's happening.

edited to ask... derosa, are you in pittsburgh this week? i don't think i'd travel from texas for this club level match. you'd be better off heading to DFW and getting syntax to buy you lunch after you shoot up all his .223 ammo in the MSAR. haha

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'm not getting any bites on he sunday shoot. being a single dude, i forget that husbands might have duties that day.

SO>>>>

the match is actually happening saturday AND sunday.

saturday shooting starts around noon. since no one's gotten to me about it i'm planning on going saturday and if you wanna come along, lemme know!

5. OffArtist

OffArtist New Member

Yeah, thank god my wife doesn't troll this board, I totally forgot about M-Day. I've already been co-opted for a brunch on Sunday and apparently we're having company on Saturday night. Not that I don't think Mothers deserve the credit, but dang if I don't find all these "Hallmark" holidays offensive. Sorry BT, I'm out of commission until at least the weekend after.:wall:

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

awww... it aint so bad. you get yours on father's day, right?

7. Derosa54

Derosa54 New Member

I can't make the trip to Pittsburgh for business :( I have a friend with an M40 that might be interested, though. Lives in the WPA area. I can't afford lunch for Syntax; just got back from Wally World with a BIG BAG of ammo for the weekend test of my 9mm after getting it back together. Well, maybe a coffee. Later folks. Thanks.

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

had a good time despite semi-cold and very windy conditions.

the stages had lots of strategy challenges and it was fun hearing two top level shooters debating on how to negotiate the stages.

i had my own thoughts on strategies and they were working GREAT... until the timer went beep.

i really have to go do it more often to get any better at it. particularly the strategy end of it.

perhaps some of you will join me next time.

9. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

happy to hear that a good time was had,

i'm trying to get a trip to PA in the works for this summer to see my wifes grandparents and meet some of her extended family up near Erie, and maybe even swing through pittsburgh

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

come through on a sunday and you can watch me miss steel, fumble reloads and forget targets behind the barricade.

better yet, bring a gun and show me how it's done!

you're welcome anytime.

11. blueorison

blueorison Member

would come shoot with ya, I love IPSC, did the last match with a Steyr M9, which caused me to quickly sign up on this forum and learn more about it.

It was the first time I'd shot the M9 at competition, and hadn't even shot it to determine POI or reset before the match. I literally picked up the gun and started shooting at the match. Obviously not my gun, it was a friends' :)

I have a vid, might upload it later. Basically the best way to test if the gun is right for you; don't fire it or get used to it beforehand; just pick it up and shoot it under stress/competition and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Had 3 FTE's and slide didn't lock back after empties, but this was a known issue that I was warned about by my friend. I read up on the boards and let him know it was easy to fix the extractor or it might be the 15 round mags with 10 round springs :p

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the wrong mag spring will definitely give you grief.

i'm going ipsc shooting again this weekend. are you in the pittsburgh area? i'm down to steyr it up with you if you are.

some crazy boxer person convinced me to pull my mag release button out so sometime i need to re-install it. i hope it's easy. ;-)

13. blueorison

blueorison Member

Sir, I wish I lived near ya. I don't have many IPSC buddies here. Sure we have alot of GM's and M's and some of them are my friends, but no one in my age group. I'm still in college, I attend the University of Texas and am the pistol captain of the team there.

STI is just an hour's drive from here, and LaRue is real close. Most of the GM's here use STI, if not all. I'm probably the only non-married under-35 yr old here. I got a couple friends I've gotten into IPSC, so it's a bit better now. You sound like someone I'd definitely hang with; I'm a joker big time and it helps break the stress of the matches with all the serious competitors, but most of them need to chill out more.

It's not sectionals, just a local match, for crying out loud.

Anyway, that's a little on my background. If you're ever in Austin, give me a holler and we'll do a match. The private range here is VERY nice. The club that shoots IPSC here is called ALSPPC and website is ALSPPC.org

I shoot production or limited, I pick up random guns at the start of matches that my older friends lend to me and just shoot them for the first time. It's the best way to crosstrain!

:)

I'm new here because at last saturday's match, my buddy lent me his Steyr M9. It was that, or the HK. He told me his M9 had known FTE and FTF problems, in addition to slide-lock failure. That sounded awesome to me, I like shooting with hard guns that force me to manipulate them and clear jams. Crosstraining right? So I picked the Steyr over the HK 9mm.

It jammed continuously, had at least 3 ftfs drop mag and clear. Was fun. I liked the gun so much I got on this forum.

14. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

ALSPPC huh? I used to shoot with them when they shot at La Grange, the Fayette County Gun Club. I refuse to drive 2.5-3 hrs to shoot for fun. A tournament maybe.

I'm now a member of the Brazosland Pistoleros, and shoot at the Arrowhead Gun Range north of Bryan. It's still a 1.75 hr drive from Houston.

15. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Amen to that...

Aww now, if I can get it back in with a small flat head screw driver and just a bit of salty language, anyone can.

Crazy boxer person

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that's essentially how Jeff at SAI described the installation procedure.

tools needed: one small screwdriver, one large bit of patience and a mouth full of expletives.

17. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i glanced at the clock to keep a time on re-installing the magazine catch. less than a minute. turns out i only needed the screw driver. no patience or expletives. my one and only official steyr screw driver did the trick.

the match was a good one. really interesting challenges. i've definitely improved my "cadence"... shooting close targets fast and slowing down for the farther targets. i had better hits while shooting similar split times and got a lot of comments about it.

2 malfs to report.

1 was a light primer strike. i've got about 1000 rounds on the alternative striker spring and 1000's of dry fires so the spring is probably just due for a replacement. i'll measure the old one against a new one and hopefully have a spec. on overall length = time to replace.

the other was a double feed FTE. i had one last match as well. factory ammo in a freshly cleaned pistol both times. i was HOSING targets 3 yards away. i mean HOSING. hammer down post haste!!! so odds are good that as i was swinging i limp wristed. shouldn't happen even with a limp wrist and seeing it happen 2 matches in a row makes me want to look into it.

could be that the extractor spring original to my 33xxx serial number steyr is sacked out. it may be as simple as installing a new extractor spring or perhaps installing an entire new extractor assembly. i'll ask Jeff, our expert at SAI what he thinks is the best option.

i'm working on getting a 15 pound spring in the steyr. the slide will come back faster and with more force so i want to be sure that the extractor really grabs the rim. if i do a "one sight picture, 2 squeezes" double tap, the gun returns a little high for me and the second shot is routinely higher than the first. generally too heavy spring will push the muzzle down. since it's already a little high for me, my biggest concern (beyond reliable function) is that the gun will return even higher. or perhaps the muzzle won't rise as much with the lighter spring and it'll be right on. the S40 IS right on. if the gun were to double the two shots would be touching. promise.

i'm measuring up ISMI springs because they're what i have on hand but will probably get some wolff springs as they're made for a 7mm rod. that lets me keep the big heavy guide rod i like so much.