Sight picture

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by macodad, May 8, 2007.

1. macodad

macodad Guest

I am trying to figure out what kind of sight picture I should have when using the steyr sights. I have asked the same question on GT about my G22.
    With the steyr should I be blocking out my target with the triangle, hold at 6 o'clock, or cover the bottom 3rd of my target?

Thanks

2. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, macodad,

I put the tip of the front triangle right on POA. If I put the tip of the white triangle insert on POA, I'm high. Good luck,

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I put the center of the triangle on target, that is to say, I cover it. When I am doing my part, I hit dead center. I run an M40-A1 and I am talking about a target distance of 21 to 30 or so feet.

That said, I am not the best shot I know. :)

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Hope this helps:

[​IMG]

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Uh, does your little illo mean I am wrong, Syntax?

...Maybe I don't actually know what sight picture I use. I get hits but, as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6. nixon

nixon Member

Macodad,
    I align both the tips of the rear and front triangle to where I'd like to hit the target or Point of Aim. When shooting well on a given day, I have very good results that I hit my target exactly where I want to. It takes a little bit more of concentration than aiming with the regular post sights. The benefit if the triangular sight is so tremedous that you could see more of the target because there is no obstructions on both sides of the rear sight unlike the regular sights. It's specially benefical to shooters who can shoot with both eyes open. take your time to adjust to it and you will be rewarded. Practice shooting with both eyes open. Trust me on this one. Enjoy and shoot straight.

nixon,

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Yes, posterboy - the center of your intended target should be just on top of the tip of the triangle. But hey - if you are consistently knocking the center out of the target, you're doing it right regardless of how they are intended to be used. :wink:

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I do variant G in 360's illustration above.

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Well, I am not knocking the center out of targets, more like punching a good hole slightly left and.... uh, sometimes high, actually.

Well, ya learn something every day, and around here, I tend to learn more than one thing a day.

10. West01

West01 New Member

Syntax were did you find this picture? This is a very cool illustration. Worth a thousand words.

Thanks!

:D

West01

11. West01

West01 New Member

Hey Guys,

I do not want to hijack this tread (sorry in advance) but since we are in the subject of sighting,,,I was curious on what people use as different methods or even philosophy about sighting a moving target. Any preferred technique or styles. Any advice on target moving left, right, toward, away or even up and down? Any special methods for tracking a target or compensation for the hits? Do you consider that instincts plays a big role?

Best and Cheers!

West01

:D

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I stumbled across that picture on some other forum a long time ago. You're right - it's definitely more useful to show an illustration, rather than trying to describe it with words.

13. macodad

macodad Guest

So, based on the pic I should be holding at 6 regardless of my sighting system and this should work for both the m9a1 and the g22 right?
    I'll give it a try. Finding range time lately is getting tough, work has been and will be busy for a while.
    Thanks for the input.

14. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi ya macodad,

Suspect there is a fair amount of variability here. Using sight picture g, i just end up shooting way low and plowing up turf. (course my eyes never did work together so always got to compensate in some fashion)

Recommend just experimenting till ya find a sight picture that works for you and then using it consistently.