Sight Adjustment ?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Slunglo, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Slunglo

Slunglo New Member

Gents... I am a newer owner of an M40 and put about 300 rounds through it so far. I note that it appears to shoot about 4 or 5 inches to the left at 15 yards. While at the range today shooting with a friend, he noted the same thing. I shot his 9mm Beretta and and his S&W 357 Mag. without the same error. So... I am wondering if it is likely that the sights might need adjustment.... and if so how should this be done?

I have seen the Shooting Correction Chart... I do not think I have the "Too Little Trigger Finger" syndrome, but....?

Thanks for the great site.....

Slunglo

2. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

If I'm not mistaken, both the front & rear sights are dovetailed into the slide; it's a friction-fit with no fasteners.

So yes, they could be adjusted. However, such an operation would best be left to qualified gunsmith with a sight press.

A shooting range with a smith on-site would be ideal; you could test the pistol immediately and have the sights readjusted if necessary.

3. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

shoot it from the bench rest, or propped on sandbage, etc.

also try it at 15 feet, does it still shoot slightly left?

4. Slunglo

Slunglo New Member

Thanks... I will try that before I do anything else....

5. Guest

Guest Guest

You should be able to adjust the sights with a brass punch and a hammer. I would prefer to use a gunsmith. They have special devices to adjust sights.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Slunglo, I have seen a few posts of problems like your before and I had the same problem with my M9 and my S9 shooting left. Have someone else shoot the gun and see if it happens. I found out that it was shooting left because I was pulling the trigger with the joint of my finger which was pushing the gun left. A soon as I tried pulling the trigger with the pad of my finger, the problem was gone. Give it a try. This has been the greatest help in my shooting accuracy. If you focus on using the pad of your finger and pulling the trigger straight back, you should notice a difference as I did.