sig 229 rails vs. no rails

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by pilotbenjamin, Oct 8, 2007.

1. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i was looking to buy a sig 229 to add to my collection, and have found some with rails vs. no rails. I personally think the rails ad to the versatility and this is what I want. Are the railed guns newer? when did they start making the 229 with rails, i found one used with rails and am curious as to how old it is?

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I don't know squat about Sig pistols, other than I want one, but I do know that Bud's Gun Shop in fabulous downtown Paris, Ky., has the best prices on Sigs I've seen anywhere. They have some "demo" Sigs that have not been fired, just handled and groped by would-be buyers like moi. Wish I had the moola to get me one of those 357 Sig Sigs. :mrgreen:

3. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i just bought a sig 229 dak, with the rails. the rails are newer but they still have some new ones with no rails. but I don't think they are making them anymore old stock. I sold my glock 22 and traded up to this sig, i haven't recieved it yet.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

you traded your Glock and paid more money for your Sig......... :lol:

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

What caliber did you get? I'll certainly be looking for a range report. I read on the Sig site that the DAK is a 6.5-lb DAO trigger, so I'll be interested to hear how you like that vs. the Steyr MA1 trigger, which is about 5 lbs.(?)

A 229 in 357 Sig is the model I'd like, but can't afford. But I believe it was Mugdava who said the trigger on his Sig, not sure which model, wasn't as good as the Steyr trigger. I suspect I would prefer the DA/SA trigger on the Sigs but I've never shot one so that's pure guesswork. Your experience with your 229 may help some of my ignorance. :mrgreen:

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have the 229 with the single/double trigger. One of the guys in class bought his 229 with the DAK trigger and wanted to try the s/d. I brought mine and he liked it better. He sold his Sig and bought the s/d trigger in the 229 that week. Sigs are nice, but IMO overpriced. A good Glock or Steyr is more my cup of tea. I transitioned from owning guns with s/d triggers and try to keep with the Glock/Steyr/XD (won't own one) triggers. I keep my Sigs though, a 229 in 40/357 and a 226 in 357. Sigs aren't very left handed friendly......

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for the concise review of Sigs, shooter. Being I'm a southpaw, maybe I should get over my Sig fantasies. With the exception of my two DAOs, M357-A1 and G29 with a custom trigger that's about 2.5 lbs., I prefer DA/SA triggers simply due to that wonderful SA action after the first DA shot is gone, plus the perhaps imagined extra safety of having a safety/decocker to transition to that first DA shot. Yet, I feel perfectly "safe" to carry my M357-A1 or G29 or Kel-Tec PF-9 with no safeties, so perhaps one of these days I'll be where you are, transitioning to DAO. :mrgreen:

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Net,
    I don't think you would be happy with a Sig. The controls are located in the rear portion of the Left side of the pistol. Even the trigger finger, our normal control finger for most lefties doesn't work well. Locking back the slide is very annoying. I have to use the index and middle finger of my Right hand coming over the top. The single action portion of the Sig is very good, maybe three pounds, and it is very accurate but I have heard and seen the Sig go done in action more often then it should in dirty, dusty, sandy conditions. At the shooting school I just got back from the special forces student was the only person who's pistol went down completely in a drill due to dirt. He was using a 229. As I reported previously, my Steyr shot through the entire time without a hiccup. Even the Glocks chocked temporarily. The pistol you have worked great... :wink:

9. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

I went to the gunshop and held and pulled the trigger one of the 229DAK they had for sale there for $809, it is a little harder puller, then the steyr. I have an older m40, which has a nice trigger and the glock was light but kinda spongy. The DAK has no decocker. so the only controls are the slide/lock release, and the mag release. I am righthanded.

They ran extensive tests on these 229's and people who talk about reliability mostly, talk heresay. the last page of this link, they talk about the tests they've run.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_re ... index.html

i was watching gunbroker for months and found a police trade-in 229dak, nightsights, with the box, paperwork, 3 mags, original unopened lock. for $535, buy it now $550. So i paid $555 after shipping, and $30 to my FFL when it comes.

"you traded your Glock and paid more money for your Sig"
    Shooter, I don't understand your comment about paying more, fully supported barrel, nightsights, all metal construction, retails for $400 dollars more than a glock, seems like an upgrade to me.

I like glock, my next purchase will be a G19, but i wanted the peace of mind of a fully supported barrel.

10. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

net,

the sigs are designed for 40 and 357 all you have to do is swap out the barrels the mags, springs, etc. is all the same. Maybe one day i will get the 357 barrel, but can't really afford to shoot it as much as I would like. But it's nice to know I can own a gun for a lifetime, and have 2 guns in one.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Pilot,
    don't take it to heart.....it wasn't meant to be mean- spirited. IMO your Glock was just as good as the Sig or any gun, no matter the price...Good thing you didn't say HK, that is even more expensive............ :D

12. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

ya, i was at gander mountain this morning, and held and dry fired a HK usp 5", really felt like a piece of crap. for $1300 that is ridiculous. That is my first time to hold it, kinda felt loose like the was a hi-point. I was talking to the salesman about my recent gun sickness, and i guess there are two camps. 1.) people who buy more guns and keeps the ones they've already played with, and 2.) people who trade in/sell their guns and get the new toys, only to have the cycle repeat itself.

obviously I'm in the second camp.
    maybe if I had more money Id be able to keep them all. :p :D

13. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yep, it was me! My M357-A1 has a better trigger pull than my P226(.40 & .357), but my P226 has a better pull than my new M9-A1! Although the M9-A1's trigger is improving w/ usage. The main thing I don't like about the Sig trigger is the long reset. I've thought about sending it in to get the new SRT trigger installed

Hey Pilotbenjamin!

If You're talkin' about a USP Expert(5.2" barrel), I've got one! It's, IMHO, one of the very best polymer pistols on the market! Only my TRP(full rail) holds a higher spot in my safe than my USP Expert 45!

[​IMG]

14. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

im jealous of the collection. I can't be certain but I don't think it was an expert, but it looked the same as that. I would think i would remember the name expert but IDK. The one I saw had all metal adjustable rear sights, and no markings like a little white dot on the sights. It felt kind of clunky, I didn't shoot it. I'm assuming its more of a target pistol, with the long sights. What do you like about your HK?

15. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i'm kind of new to the world of guns if you could tell me what we're looking at left to right? I can see the two HK's and the springfield but models numbers and names thanks.

16. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

the HK was a USP custom combat. 40. cal.

17. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

[​IMG]
    USP Match 45(clone), USP Expert 45, TRP Operator(full rail), Sig TTT 1911, Para P14-45 LDA

Standard USPf & USPc triggers sometimes leave something to be desired. :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I think the 1911's are Sigs best guns........very good stuff........now that's what I would call an upgrade........

19. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

range report

After cleaning my 229 i took it to the range and it performed flawlessly, the trigger is way heavier than my steyr or glock, but there is no pre-load, that is it doesn’t get heavier just before firing. The trigger in full length is lighter than when it is pre-cocked after firing a round, but the heavier shorter trigger was really giving me good results. The gun is heavier than my polymer framed guns but seems to soak up the recoil a little better than them as well. I like it. There is this range-rat who is always there Bs-ing with the employees, who has a 229dak, in .357 and was trying to explain to me that it was meant to be rapid fired and not really a target pistol. He is really proud of his SIG. I am somewhat impartial to pride in such an expensive gun, so long as the gun works. I kind of think of high-priced guns as pretty-boy guns, when things cheaper (steyr) work just as well. .
    After my first 100 rounds my trigger finger was kind of worn out. I wanted to shoot it on more than one occasional before I published my review it so I would have time to evaluate and think about things. My trigger finger did much better the next 100 rounds which I shot about a week later. Really good feel and the grip fits well. If I could make the trigger a bit lighter I think I would, I am looking into this. I was using WWB and blazer brass, about 220 rounds, no anomalies of any kind.

This is my first gun with night sights, and in the dark it is hard to focus on the front sight, with the 3 of them being green. I think I would prefer two colors one in the front and then a matching rear set. I read the green is the brightest so maybe green up front and yellow in the rear.

On a side note this guy wanted to shoot my 229dak in .40sw so I let him shoot about 8 rounds and he had about pretty good group but pulled one down to the 7 o’clock position. He’s bragging about how good SIG’s are blah, blah…..I asked him if he ever shot a Steyr and he said “no”. I asked him if he would like to, of course he did. So I loaded a mag and let him go at it. Never having shot a steyr and this guy owned a 229dak, he shot a better group with my steyr than with my 229dak. I was trying to point that out to him but he was dismissing it. He was saying that’s not the normal trigger, you’ve had a trigger job, uhhhh sorry dude, this things never been out of my possession, other than polishing my firing pin guide rod. That made my day.

So I don’t know if I am a pretty boy now, I don’t think I sold out, more like I bought in