SHTF Water Filter?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by EmesiS, Mar 12, 2007.

1. EmesiS

EmesiS Guest

Any suggestions for a Reliable, Effective and Portable water purification system for a SHTF scenario? I want a real rugged, well built device, as I see it there is little more important than clean water - especially when it may be one of your few comforts in a SHTF scenario. I am prepared to pay a hefty amount if I can get something really good so please offer any advice you can.

Thanks!

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Best I've found is the Katydyn Pocket Filter for $189 @ The Epicenter. Small, relatively light, and more effective than 99% of the other "comparable" filters on the market. PM me if you need some links to some really good survival/SHTF reads/gear recommendations.

3. EmesiS

EmesiS Guest

Thank you Syntax360!
    After some investigation I discovered your recommendation to be very good. That product seems to be favored above all others and I will be ordering one tonight.

Thank you very much!

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No prob - if you're feelin' real gracious, order 2 and send one to me :lol:. I'm real good at giving advice - backing it up with my own dollar, on the other hand...

I'll get one soon enough - I swear. :) Funds just aren't there at this moment.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

How does the small MSR pump water filter come out in the survivalist reviews? It's what I backpack with?

Ben

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe it is held in pretty high regard. Not the best, but still top tier stuff - I wouldn't hesitate to use it and the price tag is more attractive than the Katydyn unit.

7. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

I have used the MSR Waterworks in lakes, mountain streams and rivers for several years with perfect results. Depending on the time of year--with snow melt and water turbulence--it can be pretty dirty stuff. I love the ceramic filter--just use a scrub pad to give you a whole new filtering surface. It adds about a pound to my backpack or canoe, and so far has not failed. The pump action works the way it should and the water is pure and clean. They are currently around $150. In my experience one of the better filters for price.

Doc

8. Cohiba

Cohiba Guest

internet red dwan rambos'.
    be advised IF the SHTF your ability to find clean water is of no regards. there will be an ample amount the govenment internment facility. carry some purification tablets or some clorox in a flask for the true "run to the hills" scenario. theres plenty of clean water were your headed.

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Thank you for that useful reply. It is so helpful.