SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Emergency Survival Kit Essentials etc...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by babj615, Aug 15, 2007.

Is your SHTF Survival Kit Ready To Go?

1. 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 95%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 80%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Doohhhh

100.0%
  6. Dont need one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. This is crazy Talk - The Government Will Protect Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

OK group,

I am working on a list of items I need 2 have for the apocalypse....

I am wondering what Items you have in your kits [besides firearms] that might be easily overlooked until its too late....

Food Supply: What kind, Shelf Life, How much per person per day etc... Water Filtration devices? Water Storage?

Food Prep: What kind of cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc do you have that are easily and/or ULTRA portable???

First Aid: What kind of supplies here? I am looking for specific must have items besides band-aids and stethoscope...

Clothing: I'm thinking Slacks and a Button Up shirt wont cut it here.... Whats in your harsh weather, battle ready, post SHTF closet?

Shelter: What will you use for shelter, should you be forced from your home and have to make it in the wild???

Communications: Any 2 way radios? What Kind? What Freq? Range? Wind up radios? How will "WE" all communicate after the internet goes down?

Power Supplies: Batteries? Type, number of? Heat sources? etc...

Transportation: How will you get around when gasoline is not avail? How will you transport all the above items from location to location? What will you store it in [protect from harsh environment]???

ALSO: Strength in numbers??? [Or SOLO?] How many will be in your group? Who will be responsible for what? How many are trained in First Aid? What other POST SHTF skills do you/they have that are Essential????

Please, feel free to add to my list as you see fit... And thanks for contributing!!!

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Ive got my hunting supplies my guns, some food. My family's place is well pumped, the genny is on the list prolly this winter. Lots of hunting there if needed. We have lots of ranchers with cattle too. Harsh weather, well, with my hunting gear ive comfortably walked through a white out blizzard. medical supplies are something I need to get more of. Got the basic first aid, but gotta get the knowledge first. We have 2 vets that live within a mile though :D

So we're buggin in if possible. Its about 60 miles, 4 days walk, 3 if we push it, so were pretty well set. The walk is through the country.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I admit to being severely under prepared, though that is due to financial restrictions these days. It's on my "to-do" list, but rent/insurance/groceries have been the priority items lately... :(

I've got the basic ability to carry a very minimal defense setup, 2-3 days worth of food and water, but that's about all I'm good for presently. I could probably make it a month or two bugging in, but I'd like to have more firepower on hand, too...

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

100%.
    Myself and others have put up our lists in a sticky over at the Self/Personal Defense Scenarios section of the Forum.

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Working on the guns and ammo first, really haven't done squat beyond that. Got a very long way to go. Hope when the SHTF it don't catch me still not ready. And I do believe it's not an if, but a when that the SHTF will come.

Almost done on guns, barely started on ammo. Don't have enough to blow my nose on the rest of the list.

I've posted this before, but here's a great source for SHTF planning by Laughing Wolf:

http://laughingwolf.net/archives/cat_preparedness.html

6. amonkey

amonkey New Member

We'll need tools!

Great Post :!:
    And I'd like to add to the list. We need a tool category.
    Depending on the scenario (traveling or dug in somewhere), as a minimum, we'd need basics to fix things, i.e. screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, files, etc. We'll have to maintain what we have. For a longer term issue, we might even have to make things. Woodworking and blacksmithing would be the primary skills in demand IMO.
    If we are hole up somewhere, or going through the wilderness, shovels, axes and machetes and maybe rope.
    Either way, I can't imagine a SHTF day without a basic tool kit. If you have no civilization, life is so much easier if you have the tools to progress.

Medical
    If I look in my old Combat Lifesaver Bag, I see:
    • scissors,
      tweezers,
      rubber gloves,
      all size dressings, gauze pads and bandages,
      baby powder and foot powder,
      ace bandage,
      chemlight or mini flashlight,
      moleskin,
      eyewash (with the little cup),
      pepto tablets,
      iodine tablets,
      burn ointment,
      anti-septic pads,
      thermometer,
      motrin and if possible, scalpel and IV set.
    Altogether, my CLS bag only weighs 4 pounds with all that.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

8. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

hmm.... so you think i might need more than my charming personality and a disarming smile?

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Now that depends on what your wearing....

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Wish I could vote a second time and choose "The Government Will Take Care Of Me " so I could have a good laugh.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Speed up your SHTF plans

“The Two Things To Know Before Your City is Nuked By Terrorists”, written by Douglas MacKinnon, former White House and Pentagon official, quotes “a recent conversation with a former high level intelligence operative of our government.”

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/..._know_before_your_city_is_nuked_by_terrorists

I think I better get a lot more serious about my SHTF plans.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Re: Speed up your SHTF plans

This is exactly what I am thinking.....

New Orleans should be viewed as a wake-up call to those who think otherwise....

If anyone thinks the differences between the "rich & poor/haves & have nots" is great now..... just wait.....

...this one will require a little more than the standard "ounce of prevention".....