Shoulder Stock Anyone?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Polymer Proselyte, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Cool, but if you live in the US your stocked Steyr will have to be registered as a short barreled rifle. Even having it in the same house with a pistol upon which it can be installed (readily accessible) requires the registration. I heard there were some Glock owners who bought a similar stock off the Net (ebay, I believe) and had a rude wake-up call from the BATFE.

Buzz

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Poly* :)

I emailed sportsarms about these stocks and got the following reply:

I'm not sure if he means that he has only one stock in inventory or whether this is the only item that they currently have in inventory. It may mean that this is the only item that they keep stocked and they only have one in inventory. <shrug> In which case, "Bummer, Dude. :(" I replied asking Willi to explain and asked for pricing +S&H USD. Legally, I haven't a clue what's expected and required. <shrug> Thanx for postin' this Poly*. You rock, Bro.

Kiora, Mate :)

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Also worth mentioning, I believe these only work with the original Ms...

As far as legal implications go, if you have an extended barrel you are OK. Buzz is probably right about the "contructive intent" or whatever they call it, but IANAL...

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

After my research into adding a 16" barrel to a G20, it's my understanding that as long as you put the long barrel on before the buttstock, you're legal. But you should not have the short barrel "nearby" whatever that means.

Now, where can I get a 16" barrel for my M357-A1? :twisted:

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya John :)

Contact Carmen at IGB. They did have a few in stock last month. Good luck. :)

Wulf

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

There still may be an issue with the extended barrel and stock. At that point, while the gun may be of an adequate lenght to qualify as a rifle, you will need to file the correct federal form (the number I can't recall) because at that point you are considered to be manufacturing a new firearm. I looked into this with the Glock and the hoops that one would need to jump through just aren't worth it. Be very careful here, the BATFE is watching this one very closely and some folks got burned with the Glock stocks.

Just having the stock and the gun in the same general location is enough for the law to kick in. You need not put it on the gun to be liable.

Buzz

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Right you are, Wulf.

I emailed IGB and here's the reply I got back from your good buddy Carmen.

So this means the "Baddest Tactical Pistol I can afford" is the M357-A1 I've already got, plus the IGB extras!

Now all I gotta do is twitch my nose and conjure up $367.30. At least I know what I'm saving for now. :mrgreen:

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Whoa - they fit the A1's?! Sounds like I might need another tax stamp and a shoulder stock... :twisted:

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Uhhhhh...

Do we have to get a tax stamp to to do this?

What hoops?

I'm ready to order....

11. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

About as big of a problem with the BATF as the "Seven parts compliance officers kicking down the door to check my FAL?" I bet...

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Here's some info on SBRs, AOFs et c. I ran across while researching the topic for my "Baddest Pistol."

Here’s what I found on National Firearms Act rules and regs. It’s written by a veteran law-enforcement officer and NRA Certified instructor, plus certified armorer for Glock, H&K, Remington and Colt.

And on Glocktalk.com, I got the following reply about SBR and AOW regs as they apply to a G20 with long barrel and buttstock.

Now all I gotta do is scrape up the bucks for the IGB barrel and buttstock, plus $84.76 for a IGB scope mount, plus a Red Dot scope, plus about a ton of 357 Sig ammo! :mrgreen:

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would rather spend the $200 on another tax stamp than on a long barrel. And the tax stamp would erradict any worries of legal troubles, and my rig with the can + stock would be just plain sexy. Gonna need a red dot and top mount to really complete the setup...

Something wicked this way comes.... :twisted:

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Do I hear an Evolution v4.0 in the making????

15. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I've been kicking around the idea of paying the SBR tax on mine, then getting a threaded barrel and a can :D

But its been a lot of fun even with the 16" barrel ... even though I bet it would shoot better with the pistol barrel (dunno though because I'm not risking Agent Schmuckatelli stomping my kittens)

16. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

So...... What I am getting is:

The Tax Stamp is only for SBR?

The 'Carbine' requires no special paperwork?

[Thanks for the references NetfotoJ] :)

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Right. And if you're going SBR, it prolly wouldn't hurt to throw a $5 AOW stamp in the processing "mix", too - then you could slap a picatinny foregrip on it if you wanted... If only select fire was an option.... :evil:

18. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

That is correct. As long as you slap a 16" long barrel on it you're fine without any NFA taxes

$5 tax is to TRANSFER an AOW ... it still costs $200 to MAKE an AOW.

Once you've SBR'd it, the AOW stamp for a foregrip would be unnecessary as its now a rifle (even without the stock attached)

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Oh ya - thanks for the correction!