Shotgun recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by 73sbVert, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Does Steyr make a tactical semi-auto shotgun?

I'm sorta looking around and I really like the Benelli M-2 in style, function, reputation and reliability. Just curious if Steyr makes one (on their site they only show rifles, so I guess the answer would be "no", but...)

The Benelli is REALLY expensive though, does anybody have any suggestions on a very good home defense gun like the M-2, or maybe one that could be configured like that via aftermarket products? Something less expensive hopefully??!!!?!??!!!!?!!!

Thanks!
    Paul

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Meh.
    I 300 dollar 870 pump will get the job done. Just like most other things in life. Just depends how much you want to spend on it.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

hard to beat Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

if you go Remington with defense intention go for the police model with the factory extended tube and the extension protector on the barrel. keeps the extension from getting damaged and coming off.

I went with 8 shot Mossberg 500 with sidesaddle. no magazine extension required one solid tube.

Auto's can be costly and troublesome at times. Benelli is good made by Beretta. havent seen a Steyr shotgun.

could try a Saiga 12 gauge might be able to find one inexpensively.

4. HEAVY

HEAVY Guest

you guys heard of the turkish shotties?

Hatsan and Akkar?

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have to say that the Moss 500 and the 870 are top choices for Self D shotguns. I have the 870 chinese clone from Norinco which is an exact copy and slightly cheaper price but very high quality. WalMart also sells several shotguns by Dan Wesson that may fit your requirements.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Wulf <-- Mossy Jungle Gun Lover! :twisted:

[​IMG]

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I have a Mossberg 590 that I really like. If I had the spare cash to pick up another shotty, it would be the FN Police Self-Loading shotgun. I believe it's the same gun that Winchester sells, with a few tacticool add-ons.

8. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Either the 870 or the 500...

They're both proven weapons with lots of aftermarket goodies. Get one with a conventional hunting set-up, pick up a 18.5" barrel and HD stock conversion, and for an extra $100 or so you can have a dual-purpose weapon with minimal work. That way, if you ever want to go shoot some clays or do a bit of hunting, you're set.

9. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I like evil and black, personally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

870....hard to top

I had a 870 20 ga that my dad gave me at age 13, and was content with it as my primary deer gun....still have it, will never part with it, my first gun after all....will keep it in parts as long as it takes to die with it or pass it on to my kid(s) should i ever have any.....has the smooth bore slug barrel, great gun.

i got into guns pretty big in the last 3-4 years....decided i wanted a 12 ga....so i wait and watched and one day on Craig's list a guy was selling Rem 870 Wingmaster 3 in mag for $100.....it is probably 95% shape, and nabbed it. I got a 20 inch smooth bore slug barrel for it with iron sights off of ebay....my total into this gun is about $220, and it is beautiful, and effective. Couple hundred rounds of number 8 shot (small house...slug and buckshot would be overkill, and of course some buckshot and slugs for good measure.

I chose to not go tactical at this time....two reason, money....i've put far too much into guns this year.....and....i don't want something so evil looking that should i ever need to use it in self defense, no prosecuter can hold up my evil looking black laser sighted collapsable stocked BOOMSTICK! and say this man was looking for a chance to use this!....

that said.....give me time and the money....i'm gonna get me a Saiga 12 ga and apply for the SBR permit and send it to Tromix to make the ultimate CQ defense shottie.....

firgure by the time i can afford all that....i'll be able to afford a good defense lawyer to get me out of any mess that stems from a defensive shoot.

870 12 ga....that is my vote....if you want semi auto, get a Saiga 12 ga and about 5 10-rd mags.....that should set you back about 800...(mags are pricey)

later

11. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

after the prosecutor gets done with his tirade you can tell your side which is I bought it for y2k took it out once then put it in the gunsafe where it has sat for months if not years collecting dust. thought bout refinishing in case wound up before some prick prosecutor but couldnt come to terms on whether not the new finish should be pink or purple.

be sure to have a couple cans of refinishing material in pink or purple little bit could go a long way.

gun is a inanimate object and inanimate objects are neither good or evil.

12. Lurker

Lurker Guest

I've got a Mossberg 590A1, same as the 590 except the trigger assembly is made of steel not plastic, the barrel is a heavier weight and ghost ring sights are standard. Picked it up for 400 at a gun show put a sidesaddle on it for twenty bucks. I love it I had one before and had to sell it and I've been kicking myself for it ever since.

Some cons though, the forearm is pretty far out there, I'm average height (5'10") and it's at the edge of comfortable for me. But my wife (5'4") has difficulties reaching it with comfort, thinking about putting a youth stock on it, it's easier for me to shoot shorter stocks than her shooting longer ones. The recoil pad on it sucks, or maybe I'm just a wuss...no it's the pad...definitely the pad. Seriously though it isn't as good as the one on my old 590, about nine hollowpoint slugs was all I could handle while I was sighting it in. I would love for it to be an 18" barrel instead of a 20", but a little gunsmithing is required to make that change since the mag tube is one piece.

I do love where the safety is though, right in front of your face. Thumb pushes forward (the direction you want the bullets to go) and it shoots, thumb goes back (you want the bullets to stay in the gun) it doesn't. Not sure if it's on safe or not lower your gaze about an inch and you'll know. Although that pretty much blows pistol grip stocks out of the picture.

If you're looking for just a general purpose home defense/hunting gun get the 870 or the 500 in wood stocks, by just changing the barrel from a 24" to an 18" or 20" your pretty much done. I say wood stock for the aforementioned prosecuter, hard to paint the evil black gun when it's sporting wood...yeah I know that sounds wrong.

Friend of mine had a Rem 1100 hunting shotgun that he bought and put a 18" barrel and mag extension on it then he put a synthetic pistolgrip buttstock on it, looked like a benelli, shot pretty much like a benelli, all for under $500. Would love to find the Mossberg jungle gun, read an article about it being used by some drug enforcement officers in colombia or something said they routinely ran 5000 rounds through them without cleaning them with no problems.

JMHO

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Also look at the Saiga semi-auto for $300+

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody say SAIGA? :twisted:

Evil and black, too.

15. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

That looks cool AND fun, so I'm sure it's not allowed here in Kali. :evil:

Wondering if I can buy it at my dad's in NM and "import" it here to Kali instead... :twisted: 8-O :D

16. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I second the Saiga, but I say spend a little more and get a Tromix conversion.

Mine is just a hoot ... and not too bad for shooting clays with either :twisted:

[​IMG]

Damn I need to pick up some 10 rounders for it.

EDIT
    Oh ... sorry ... I see you live in California :(

Nope, no converted Saigas for you then (and no, don't buy it in NM and "import" it unless you like prison rape).

17. GTrain

GTrain Guest

saiga

what exactly is a tromix conversion??? im thinking of getting a saiga 12 gauge some time soon, just curious.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Re: saiga

http://www.tromix.com

19. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have from the sublime to the ridiculous: Saiga and Benelli M1 Super 90. Like both.