shooting skills like riding a bike?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by broas, Dec 19, 2007.

1. broas

broas Guest

subject says it.

do you think shooting skill is like learning how to ride a bike? being once you get it, it tends to stay with you forever. you get rusty, sure. but the skill stays with you. same with driving a car or surfing.

or is the skill more like playing music? being when you stop playing, your skill diminishes. after a while you even forget what notes sound like (meaning you can't tell if a note is an E note or an F note). same with computers or chess.

am i making sense to you?

2. NicoX

NicoX New Member

driving a car If u don´t practice it U won´t be a good driver..

i start driving when I was 11 and I start racing karts at 12 and formula´s when I was 16, and then when I was 19 I stopped racing.. 2 months later I was invited to race with karts, with 9 ex-kartistas.. I was horrible.. because I don´t have the practice..

I think experience in sports/activities is all.. (bike, cars, shooting, racing cars, etc)

3. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

My own personal experience is if the fundimentals are there then you will pick it back up quickly but there is still a relearning process, especially with guns. At least in my experience....I was flinching and was a little uncomfortable with guns after a 10 year hiatus....but now I feel good again and my shooting is improving considerably. But I also have shot a good 2k rounds in the last 6 months.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I usually do OK if I go once every 3 months or so... outside of that and my accuracy isn't quite on par with a "normal" range trip (though minute-of-zombie is certainly never a problem). I'd be really surprised if anyone who had been taught to shoot a gun had trouble hitting a man-sized target at social distances, regardless of the length of a hiatus.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Top shooting skill is supposed to be very fragile and easily lost without practice.

I set aside shooting for a few years, picked up a .45 and took it to an IDPA, and did fine.

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Shooting skills degrade......Depending on what your level of skill is requires you to practice to match that level.....if that makes sense....If you are a top shooter you need to shoot often to stay there. If you only shoot twice a year, you probably aren't going to notice changes.......I relate it more to golf then riding a bike.........if you don't practice that golf swing..................forget about it !!!!!! :wall: But on the other hand it doens't take long to get back that feel once you have attained that level......
    I feel the need to shoot once a month at the least. But better once a week........but I'm usually always picking up a pistol and practicing the draw , and dry firing. That would be the most valuable tool if you don't get out much. House shoot.......(dry fire practice)......

7. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

:stupid:

8. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

I agree as well, I have been shooting weekly sometimes twice or three times a week for the last 4 months and really have seen improvement. I reach plautues with accuracy and speed. But you have to shoot through the non-noticiable improvement, it's frustrating because sometimes I feel like I'm going backwards, instead of getting better. But next time I would get better. like golf in the way you practice what works and what doesn't work. You do what doesn't work, in every single way, untill the only way left is the best way for you. Studying knowing when to use what techique and why. defensive shooting is more than just leasurly aiming and shooting. I think the importance of drawing and aiming, with speed and precision are what makes someone good. If you shoot reguraly anyone will be able to hit a target. But being able to turn around and draw with your back to the target and double-tap two to the chest with speed and consistency is more important than being able to slowly fire off shots. I also practice shooting different postures, swaying side to side, moving forward, moving backward, one-hand, off-hand.
    Dry firing and handling your weapons at is important as well, I try to handle my pistol while Im walking around, constantly drawing and getting a good sight picture. raising the gun and getting the front sight in focus on target. Get the gun to be an extension of your body.

9. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

I also agree with some of the others. I shoot a minimum of twice a week and three if nothing is going on. When I'm on call (for my job) I am off sync and it is noticeable. As for off-hand........ ......that has been my new drill lately and I SUCKBADLY. It is almost embarassing. That is the reason I practice it often. For IPSC, it is required at times. If I can master that, then I have an edge on the others. For self defense (like taught at the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa http://www.usshootingacademy.com/range.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5She4GPTvc) it is a neccessity. Their courses will be my new gift to myself.

Practice often, Aim small and miss small.

Take Care,
    MTS

10. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i think you nailed it, practice the things you don't do well and get better.

11. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I think that you will always remember the basics and that will in tern guide you through, that is to say that if you haven't shot in 10 years and suddenly you hear someone in your house and you pick up a gun in your night stand you will probably know how to shoot accurate enough to hit him. But I think that control and accuracy come with constant practice. The more you use it the better you are. This is why cops are required to re-certify periodically.