Shooter's and Gunning terminologies - Shooter's Lingo

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by hiramabiff, Aug 28, 2005.

1. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Hi,

I have to admit I am new and NOT SO familiar with some terms or language sometime or often used here like stovepiping, out of battery, FTEs, CCW, etc and what and where a Pistol Grip Plug is used for? Sirs, any volunteer in constructing a Gunning Dictionary [sticky] here. :oops:

Thanks.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's a few that get mentioned pretty often.

EDC = everyday carry
    OWB = outside waistband
    IWB = inside waistband
    CCW = concealed carry weapon
    POA/POI = point of aim/ point of impact

3. Guest

Guest Guest

out of battery is when the slide doesnt fully closeon the chambered round.....not sure if the steyrs will fire in an out of battery condition could be a potentialy dangerous situation if they can

4. Guest

Guest Guest

FTE = Failure to Extract

CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon - usually refers to the license to carry a concealed weapon or handgun which varies from US state to state.

Stovepipe - a failure where the fired case is ejected improperly and the slide closes on the partially ejected round, jamming the action with the case usually empty-side up. It looks like a pipe that would come out of an old-fashioned stove, hence the name.

The grip plug thread should have pictures that show that it is for the empty space behind the magazine well in the grip. This space was originally designed to accomodate a stock but is ususually empty for most users.

Jeff

5. madecov

madecov Active Member

FTF= Fail to feed. when a weapon fires ,ejects, but does not feed a new round
    Sometimes called a JAM. also refered to as a misfeed.

6. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

FTE- can be failure to extract and/or failure to eject. either way you have a jam, but w/ slightly different mechanical causes.

FTF- can be failure to feed (the next round from the mag that is) and/or failure to fire (also sometimes called "click no bang" the loudest noise on the range).

WECSOG- Wiley E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing. Always have a spare part handy when attempting to replicate what "somebody did to their ..." espicialy in the way of homemade add-ons. Even something like polishing syou have to be careful with. Luckily steyrs are very modular designs (a cornerstone of their philosophy that applys to their rifles and pistols).
    JUST BECAUSE HE DID IT DOESN"T MEAN I CAN.
    One exapmple... I can break my steyr down to all the subassemblys, but will not trust myself w/ bending in feedlips of a .40 mag to feed 9mm and hold more rounds, others can but I'm afraid I'll whack it to hard :p

Limpwristing- Just simply not holding tight enough. You want to lock up your wrists, see the excellent pictorial in our "tactics and Training" forums. Lightweight poly pistols are espicialy prone to this as they don't have the weight at the front end, and our tight tolerance steyrs more so. THE #1 CAUSE OF O.O.B.

IPSC- International Practical Shooting Confederation sport developed in the 60's in California to involve "scenario" stages involving skills such as, moving while firing, engaging multiple targets, firing from behind cover, etc. All while being timed and usualy from the draw.

USPSA- the US body of IPSC

IDPA- International Defensive Pistol Association, off shoot of IPSC by members that felt ipsc had become too "gamey" w/ special built guns "race guns" and uber expensive equipment as well as strategies to shave time that would be quite tacticly unsound in a real world gunfight. Rules changes involved things like no dumping mags on the ground that still had rounds (might need them in a real gun fight so put the mag in a pocket), and keeping behind cover when possible. There is some current grumbling about equipment resrictions and round limitations and holster requirements (it is supposed to be "real world" gear and to make different pistols as equal as possible).

3-GUN- Same "practical" type matches but w/ the use of rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Various governing bodies (including IPSC, but not IDPA).

edit:

Eye Dominance- just like you have a dominant/strong hand and off/weak hand so do your eyes. To test Hold out your finger and focus on it , now close one eye and then the other. It will jump. The side that it is the same place compared to the background is your dominant eye. If your strong hand is not on the same side as your dominant eye you'll have hella problems w/ sight picture. There's many ideas on how to compensate.

7. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

ya learn something new every day....

FlaChef,

thanks for the info on the eye dominance...your little test that you described has revealed to me that i am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance....time to do some reading on how to get around that.

8. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Re: ya learn something new every day....

If you are right-handed, it is very common to be left-eye dominant. It's most likely more common to have opposite strong eye/strong hand than have same side strong eye/hand.

Work around it? Honestly, why bother? I know some purists will say you should shoot with both eyes open, using the same-side eye as your shooting hand. I never do it. I'm left-eye dominant, and I tend to close my right eye, and get sight picture with my left. Cocking my head to the side a little bit helps line things up.

I cannot imagine I could or would be any more accurate trying to "compensate" for my opposite-eye dominance.

Shoot how you are comfortable, and that oughtta work best, IMHO.

9. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

Thanks Hiho

Will take some getting used to for me, I've always shot right handed and right eye'd. Think i need to try it left eye'd see if that will help me out. I know it will solve one problem, my right contact lens floats around a lot....my left does not....should help things a bit....can not wait to try this out

RangerM9

10. FightDesigner

FightDesigner New Member

ND= negligent discharge
    AD=accidental discharge.

Often used interchangeably, but there are some important differences there...

SA= single action
    DA= double action
    also SAO/DAO for only or SA/DA for guns that can do either.

I'll admit to some confusion myself when I tried out an IDPA match and there was a complicated letter code for the type of handgun you were using- not just SA/DA but other stuff about the safeties as well. Can anyone explain that while we're at it?

-Kevin

11. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Thanks to all of you, just keep it coming please. :D This is great and I think Im not the only one who could learn from it... :D

Now reading and learning it. :wink:

... and the Pistol Grip Plug? :oops:

12. FightDesigner

FightDesigner New Member

If you look at the bottom of some pistol grip styles (such as on the Steyr M or S series, Glocks, AR 15s, etc) there is a hollow area back there behind where the magazine is inserted. Some people like to have a plug inserted there, sometimes just to keep lint/water/dirt from accumulating, sometimes because they're concerned about it catching on things when being drawn or handled, or sometimes the grip plugs are also designed to make quick 'tactical' reloads easier by guiding the magazine into place- this can be nice any time you don't want to take your eyes off the target or your surroundings, and with the ability of semi-autos to change mags while keeping one in the chamber, it can be nice to be able to do that...

There's also been some talk about using that as a discreet way to store the key for the built-in lock on the Steyrs- not the highest security, but most people who would pick up a random gun don't even know about the existance of built-in locks, let alone what to look for.

Still, I'm reminded of the thing in "Terminator 2" where the kid always checks the sunvisor of trucks for a spare set of keys, and keeps finding them there.

13. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

... stove piping, kb?

14. FightDesigner

FightDesigner New Member

...defined in the third reply down.

15. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Got it. Thanks. :wink:

16. Guest

Guest Guest

WWB = Winchester White Box...a visual description of an economical Winchester ammunition packaged in a...white box

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

17. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Bout the "3-GUN- Same "practical" type matches but w/ the use of rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Various governing bodies (including IPSC, but not IDPA). "

Are there any specific calibers required for this type of competition? Thanks. :wink:

18. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

just depends.

I know on months when there is a 5th saturday my local club runs a "he-man" 3-gun which requires .308 and up rifle, 12guage, and .45 or above pistol.

BTW I hreby copyright the titles... "Handguns for Dummies" and "the Complete Idiots Guide to Handguns"

I know they don't make them because i searched when i was first looking to get a pistol.

I need to start writitng...

19. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

FlaChef

Will I be getting a free copy? :D I can add more questions! lol

Its just the tip of the iceberg! :D

:wink:

We will be waiting for it!!! Sign it for me!