Sent M9 to Steyr USA and didn't get new Rounded Plunger???

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by CGuns, Dec 5, 2005.

1. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Greetings,

I had FTE problems with my M9, so Steyr Mannlicher in Austria sent me the new kit. It had a slightly longer spring and a beveled extractor plus claw that was I believe identical to what was initially installed in the gun that I purchased from CDNN.

It went fine for two range sessions. On the third and fourth, I had multiple problems and I clean my firearms regularly.

I sent the gun to Steyr Mannlicher USA, in Georgia, and got it back today.

However, I don't see what they did on the gun.

I see a beveled extractor, with two planes, which is identical to what I have had all this time.

IT was my understanding that the new extractor would be fitted, ala the
    M-A1 which did away with the two planes on the beveled plunger.

Am I correct? Did they screw up? Or did I get the right part?

Are they replacing the beveled plunger with the new rounded plunger?

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

You definatly need to call them. My A1 has a rounded plunger not the beveled one. Maybe they have a lot of old parts and used the older ones first. Maybe they just changed out the spring and claw but not the plunger.

3. CGuns

CGuns New Member

1. Madecov, you are about to get a PM.

2. THIS SITUATION IS RIDICULOUS. I am going to have another chat with the Austrian office. They really need to get their act together and I am going to speak with Wolfgang, the president, as well.

3. Not only did I pay money out of pocket to Fed-Ex the gun for service, they didn't fix the plunger and it is very sad that we know what the problem is and have informed them about it and yet it goes un-fixed.

I have been in business for a long time. A little bit of a learning curve is moderately acceptable but they really need to get their act together.

4. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Everyone of importance in the Austrian office has been informed at this point, including their Holdings Company.

I truly hope that the Georgia office gets their act together and that Austria tells them what the deal is with the plunger.

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

but have you shot it yet to see how it works.
    thousands of us w/ the old bevelled pin just keep shooting w/ no problems.

I met a guy yesterday at an IDPA match who just got his M9 back from GA and it had a bevelled edge plunger.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

You guys actually got them back...I'm still waiting for mine to show up!

7. CGuns

CGuns New Member

I got my gun back on Monday Dec.5th. I sent the gun out on Tue. or Wed. Thanksgiving week.

FlaChef- Clearly the plunger is the problem. If it wasn't a problem, they would not have changed it on the MA1 series. The M series and MA1 use the same slide. :)

8. theFiasco

theFiasco New Member

Has anyone posted a picture of the new M-A1 plunger?

I'd like to see what the new shape is like.

Thanks,

tF

9. ShelbyV8

ShelbyV8 New Member

I think the change in the plunger was for cheaper production and to cut down on confusion on installation. I lost mine during disassembly, while waiting for new parts I made one out of a nail in my drill press. It worked fine. When I got the new one I found that I made mine about .020 too short. It appears that most of the problems are with the 9mm which has the same plunger, spring, and extractor as the 40 & 357 sig. I have not shot the the M9 but I beleive these weapons want hot ammo and a good grip. My M40/357 has never had a malfunction.

10. theFiasco

theFiasco New Member

ShelbyV8,

Did you make a posting about the plunger-from-nail?---I thought I saw a posting---must be more than a year ago. And maybe it was on GlockTalk.

-tF

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I got mine back today.

12. srfl

srfl New Member

I've had extraction problems with my HC'd M40 (before and after getting the HC plating), M357 (not as many now) and once with one of my M9's. The M9 has been getting lots of attention lately.

My S40 and S9 has not suffered a single extraction problem.

I can't wait for the new extractor to become a regularly stock item so I can retrofit at least my M40 and M357 with them.

13. CGuns

CGuns New Member

UPDATES:

I was contacted by Steyr-Mannlicher's Holdings company this morning and they were very appreciative that we informed them of the problem, etc...
    They are going to rectify things internally.

Shortly thereafter, Steyr Mannlicher USA called and they are going to send out updates parts. They are now aware of this and will take care of it.

CGuns

14. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Man gets results 8)

15. madecov

madecov Active Member

man speaks the native tongue 8-O

16. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

and they know he is in the import business.

17. CGuns

CGuns New Member

The Vice President is Austria and I chatted and I will keep you updated about the new plunger and the new Pistol cleaning kits from Steyr Mannlicher, as I have one of these on order, too!

I haven't seen one in the U.S. ever and I am looking forward to getting it.

Regards, CGuns

18. CGuns

CGuns New Member

AT LEAST 8 FTE today at the range...serious FTE where the round was stuck in the barrel.

I need to get this gun running right.

It started off fine. First 20-30 rounds, no problem. I was shooting this along with my Hi-Power, alternating between the two and taking breaks in between.

19. Cabby

Cabby New Member

:?

Ok I took my new M9 (CDNN) to the range and put 100 rounds through it. I had at least 5 FTEs (double feed).

I have read this thread and am searching, but could someone lay out this problem to me and give me the right people to contact to correct this problem?

I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks, Cabby

BTW the new CZ 75 compact ran flawlessly and is a tack-driver.

20. Ramshackle

Ramshackle New Member

I don't know that you'll find a permanent solution to the problem until the new plungers and heavier springs arrive from Austria. According to Steyr USA they're awaiting an import license for the parts. Meanwhile, one fix that worked for me was to put a smaller spring inside the ejector spring to stiffen it up. Before I did this I couldn't go through a single mag without extraction problems. Since the fix (knock wood) I haven't had a problem in more than 300 rounds.