Seeking optic opinions here....

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Sconnierider, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Sconnierider

Sconnierider New Member

OK folks, I've got a Pro Hunter in 300WM that I'm putting glass on. I plan on using this as my Elk rifle. I do a fair amount of walking with it. When covering distances, I'll carry it in my Eberlestock backpack so I don't have to sling it. I'll be shooting out to 600 and maybe 700 yards. I'm down to these two choices;

Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 x 44 FFP 14.3" long and 28.1oz

And

Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 x 50 FFP 16" long and 31.2oz

I really like the idea of a shorter optic and smaller objective lens and a little less weight.

Opinions? (and no, I'm going with one of these two optics, not NF, SWFA, Burris, etc...)

Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. Ronald Guidry

Ronald Guidry New Member

Go with the 3-15x44 FFP if your in dark timber you’ll need to turn your scope down to find game. The 5x min is too much for close in.

silentheart likes this.

3. Sconnierider

Sconnierider New Member

Thanks for the response.

4. p230

p230 New Member

Well I don't think you will go wrong with either of those. I have a couple of older Vortex 2-7 scopes and really like them. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting in low light or at your 600-700 yards the 50 might be better. Just depends on how much you might be getting close as Sconnierider said. I have a 5-20X50 SS and at 50 yards the 5X is a bit harder to use than a 3 or 4X.

5. Sconnierider

Sconnierider New Member

IMG_3271.jpg IMG_3272.jpg Thanks for the response. I went with the 3-15 PST Gen II on a 20 MOA base. Seekins low rings which turned out to be not quite low enough as I could stand a cheek riser of about 1/4 - 3/8" or so. Mounted the scope as soon as I got the rifle back from the 'smith. Had a muzzle brake installed. Came from Straight Shot Gunsmithing out of ND. Nice product.

6. p230

p230 New Member