Seecamp .32/.380

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by babj615, Apr 26, 2007.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Seecamp .32/.380

Anyone have any experience with these li'l gems?

A friend is thinkin' 'bout gettin' one and asked me what I think.... :? :? :?

So maybe y'all can help me out here!

Thanx much in advance!!!

2. smores

smores Guest

I don't have personal experience, but I've heard good things.

Go with the .380, ballistics are much better than .32.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

A friend of mine had one about 10 years ago. He had a surprising amount of trouble with it and finally got rid of it.
    Pricey for the performance.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I have also heard that they are hit and miss, but if I wanted one bad enough, I'd take my chances. I would also advocate the .380 - .32 just doesn't make the cut in my book - YMMV...

5. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Seecamps are highly sought after, low production, fairly reasonable factory cost, but high street price because of demand. Made to fire only one, specific cartridge (I forget which one—I believe Silvertips). Considered to be fairly reliable, but at the street price a very pricey solution for the problem. A friend has two of them and offered to sell one to me. I looked into the NAA .32, and bought it instead of the Seecamp.

I paid about the same for the NAA as he was willing to sell the Seecamp for, and got a high quality gun that is close to a clone of the Seecamp, but much more accepting of differing ammo. It has fired without problems everything I have fed it, and I have fed it plenty of variety. The only problem I see is that it occasionally will stovepipe the last round in the magazine, but since I have to change magazines anyway, it is easy to cycle the slide to dump the shell.

The NAA/Seecamp-sized handgun is a perfect pocket-pistol, absolutely disappears in a back pocket. But you pay for the diminutive size with only rudimentary sights and recoil that, if you fire more than a couple of magazines through it at a time, is like getting your hand slammed in a car door.

I am always in public and dropping the NAA in my back pocket gives me a way to have a gun handy without being concerned about printing. But it is a belly gun; it is for up close and personal. If I am away from the office or public duties, and clothing allows, I will usually carry something with a little more punch.

Doc

6. hedrok

hedrok Member

Not to be argumentative, but I would have to disagree with the naysayers on Seecamps. I have an older .25 (no longer made)....a .32 carried occasionally and practiced with more... to avoid beating the crap out of my hand with the 380. I've personally used everything from hardball to Gold dot to reloads to S&B to WWB to STX to (Silvertip old and new style) and probably more in both the 32 and 380. We're not talkin' more than 400 rds. total....but that's a lot for guns meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. In all of that, I've had less than 5 failures of all kinds combined. Three of those were on the reloaded 380's (5 or 6 years old) where the primer was fully struck but did not fire.
    The .32 is fairly available at around $350-400. The 380 is another story....a year wait and $750 is a steal. You can also order special serial numbers for a bit extra. Factory support is off the charts GREAT......I know that personally regarding the .25.
    Just to touch on the wimpy 32......that's what the Nazi SS carried and used quite effectively. And that famous quote....."I'll shoot his eye out....." from James Bond with his Walther PPK .32.
    Like the Doc said.....they're both belly guns for self defense.....and I would choose something different if size were not a factor.....but sometimes you need something very small for whatever reason.
    To my mind, the Seecamps are the best of the "Mouseguns"....that's why my wife and 2 daughters carry them when it's necessary to leave the Steyrs at home.

7. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I have the LWS380 -- and it eats pretty much anything I feed it. I prefer the DPX load by Corbon. Visit the Seecamp forum and you'll find some ballistic testing that oldgranpa and I have done with the little pistol.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Used what it was designed for (up close and personal - near contact distances) and it is a respectable self defense tool. It is, however, not very comfortable to shoot. It is one of those guns to be carried much and shot very little.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... 1177727075

8. SELFDEFENSE

I would have to think that in the age of compact 9mm and lightweight snubby .38 technology, a .380 that can't be
    shot very much has its days numbered (especially at the Seecamp price tag).

9. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

It's not really that it can't be shot much -- just that I doubt you'd enjoy doing so... The pistol is very strong. Think of it like you would a finely crafted and expensive watch. The hand fitted workmanship makes it a work of art -- it fills a specific role -- but it is not intended to be a range gun.

Larry Seecamp sells as many of them as he can make -- I expect the demand will remain high for quite sometime. Although I normally choose to carry something else for daily pocket carry -- the LWS380 does get used with finer dress... :wink:

[​IMG]

10. SELFDEFENSE

I know its not a mechanical or durability problem, but when it is uncomfortable to practice a lot, your practical effectiveness suffers vs. a gun you can practice with a lot. Also, in my limited experience with pocket pistols, a prime factor is discomfort is not being able to get a really good grip for the recoil of the particular gun involved.

11. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

Yes, the pocket pistol's size is a trade off for comfort. A blowback design like the Seecamp will be more uncomfortable than a locked-breech design like a Kel-tec P3AT. My main concern in a pocket pistol is assured functionality. Once I am sure in my mind that a particular pocket piece will function reliably -- with ammunition I feel gives adequate penetration, then I shoot it only occassionally after that -- to shoot out the carry ammo and replace with fresh every few months.

The distances a pocket pistol will be used are near contact -- or contact distances, Strictly a point and shoot situation (hence why Larry Seecamp omitted the sights, and originally the Rohrbaugh brothers too). No extended marksmanship sessions for these puppies. If employed in actual use -- I doubt the recoil or discomfort from shooting will even be noticed...

The benefits of frequent practice with my larger OWB carry pistols will transfer over to the smaller ones should they be needed in a self defense situation. After all, in my case -- they are usually backup to sometihing larger rather than used as a primary carry weapon.

Much has to do with what you are willing to spend on a backup. I had no reservations spending $900 each for the LWS380 or the R9S -- used as "insurance" they were worth the price (and maintain their value) -- even though I have been carrying a less expensive pocket pistol for the last few months. For most, something in the price range of a P3AT or an NAA will serve them well. I still have both the P3AT and the NAA Mini in my collection and used one just today. The NAA Mini was used as the backup to a 9mm revolver in business casual attire.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Scuba.. you're just too baller for me. :lol:

Breitling and a Seecamp? Just rub it in some more that I'm a broke student. :lol:

[​IMG]

Until I can be like scuba, I'll have to rely on my plastic fantastics. :D