Steyr Club Forums banner
9K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  manChild_762 
#1 ·
Alot of us don't have the dough to shell out for an ADT, Brinks, etc. security system and service so I thought I'd start a thread where we could share what kind of cheap security devices we use and work well for us.

I've invested in some door/window contact alarms and have found that they are very loud (90 db), but have draw backs in that they are kept in place with sticky tape that can contract when it gets really cold and fall off. Had one door contact alarm fall off at 3am once and had a chance to see what a home intrusion would be like as the alarm was screaming. The other draw back to them is that its impossible to leave the house and set them without having them scream super loud until you get the door closed. Oh yeah, and if you have them set while you're gone and somebody trips them off you better hope it scares them off, because there is no signal to you or the police sent.

Anyways, I know there are alot of cheap security cameras at wally world and other things like motion detectors and alarms that can be purchased for little money so please share what ya know and maybe learn something new as well.

#2 ·
Watch the cable TV program "To Catch a Thief" if you can. They get a reformed burglar to break into peoples homes then they give the place a security make over. One thing I have learned it that your home doesnt have to be the most secure. Thieves tend to be lazy and thus look for the easiest targets. Motion sensors and outside lights can be a cheap, easy and effective deterent. Most petty criminals, like roaches, dont like the light.

Matches

#3 ·
good thought matches!!

i've often thought that criminals who had an ounce of brains could make a living working like the rest of us. i just don't think you have to be too slick to outsmart one.

not to give it away, but i know a lot of blinking leds in cars that are simply hardwired to the battery. but if you're a criminal, are you gonna take that chance, or just walk to the next car without one?

i think just having a security sign in your yard or on a window goes a long way.

#4 ·
I have tried to break into my own home, to see if it was possible, and I am glad that I don't loose my keys. Stickers on all the windows and a sign in the yard that say ADT (found them on E-bay). Of course dead bolts on all the exterior doors, and closeing my curtains, no sense in advertiseing my merchandise. I have heard that there are ways to rig up a paging system like they have with higher-end car alarms that will page you when the sensor is tripped, not sure where I found that, but I remember wanting it, and have it send a page to my cell... I have motion lights on all four sides of my house, and both sheds. Aside form that, I don't know of much more I can do with my income. But I feel secure enough, and if they really want in, all the locks and sensors are not going to stop them, they would just bust out my window and have a field day.

G
#5 ·
Tika-60 lb lab-greyhound, by far the barkiest of the group
Kira-80 lbs of lab-sheperd mix; actually a wuss, but very deep bark
Sturm-80 lbs of short fat wide ???? (basset/rot maybe) laziness but w/ a seriously deep chest and huge jaws.
All have free run of every room in the house except the guest room, which has nothing worth stealing in it.

other than that it's deadbolts and guns.

not really worried about burglery :lol:

#8 ·
I agree, Dogs can be great security, but they may not fit someones budget or lifestyle.

Locks are the front line of security. When you first move into a new place changing locks should be a priority. You never know how many copies of keys to those old locks are floating around and with whom.

Matches

#9 ·
I've wondered about our garage door sometimes, since you can get in through there to my shop if either I don't lock the chain I installed or if you don't mind smashing though a hollow-core door... and from there you could get into the bedroom.

How hard is it to get into one of those automatic garage doors? How secure are the codes for that?

Hate to say it, but if you don't mind breaking things, most houses aren't that hard to get in to.

#10 ·
FightDesigner said:
I've wondered about our garage door sometimes, since you can get in through there to my shop if either I don't lock the chain I installed or if you don't mind smashing though a hollow-core door... and from there you could get into the bedroom.

How hard is it to get into one of those automatic garage doors? How secure are the codes for that?

Hate to say it, but if you don't mind breaking things, most houses aren't that hard to get in to.
Actually, if you have windows in your garage door, it's extremely easy because most people leave the pull rope attached. So, theif breaks window, reaches through and pulls release... garage door's open.

There are alternatives to the big ADT/Brinks type company. Look for small local companies who don't charge an arm and a leg for monitoring. You get the same coverage, but for half the price. I have a friend who's company charges 16.95 per month as opposed to ADT's 30+ per month here in Denver. Plus, with the discount on HOI, monitoring costs like ten bucks a month. Skip McD's a couple of times, and your house is protected.

Also, like mentioned before, visual deterents (sp?) are the best front line of security. Most, and I stress most, home burglaries are targets of opportunity. If thieves are canvassing a neighborhood, are they going to attempt a breakin on a house with what they perceive as an alarm, or go next door where there isn't one?

So, long story short... Good exterior lighting, quality locks, minimal blind spots (trim those shrubs), and a sign or two will go a long way without breaking the bank or shedding all over your couch 8)

#11 ·
Someone mentioned the TLC/Discovery show "To Catch A Thief" and another thing pointed out on that show was that for ground level windows one can plant thorny bushes (such as rose or holy) in front of the windows to deter a theif from trying to enter through them. Doing so can also cut down on alarm install costs as the windows that have these types of bushes in front of them don't necessarily need "active" sensors on them. You can still install dummy sensors on those window to give the appearance of being alarmed, and only use real sensors on the windows where placing a bush of this type isn't practicle.

G
#13 ·
you could wire the windows to 220vac.lol how ever try a plant called boginvia,(i think thats how it is spelled) it did wonders when i lived in ca. desert. dosen't need to much care but, if given to much water without triming it will get out of hand. the inch or so thorns are really tough. believe me i know first hand.
as for your windows cut a piece of dowl rod to the proper lenght, ( about two inch window opening )so you can have fresh air and security.
this idea is from poorboy security company, me.

G
#14 ·
eagle12167 said:
, if given to much water without triming it will get out of hand. the inch or so thorns are really tough. believe me i know first hand..
Boy does it ever!!!

Needing to do some fence repair after three hurricanes I spent more time trying to get at the corner of the fence past that stupid boganvilla than I did fixing the fence.

I had to go buy a Heavy Duty hedgetrimmer, it ate my cheapo one.

#16 ·
110 lb lab rott mix. When he puffs up his fur he looks like a demon from Hell.
I welded rebar bars together, bloted them to the inside of the garage window frames and wlded the lag scre heads. Nothing gets in there without taking out the whole window frame.
Drilled a hole in the garage door runner and installled a stud in a tie down to keep the door from opening from the outside.
Once he gets in the house I'll turn the wife loose on him. He doesn't stand a chance.

#18 ·
jimmythesaint said:
FightDesigner said:

Actually, if you have windows in your garage door, it's extremely easy because most people leave the pull rope attached. So, theif breaks window, reaches through and pulls release... garage door's open.

There are alternatives to the big ADT/Brinks type company. Look for small local companies who don't charge an arm and a leg for monitoring. You get the same coverage, but for half the price. I have a friend who's company charges 16.95 per month as opposed to ADT's 30+ per month here in Denver. Plus, with the discount on HOI, monitoring costs like ten bucks a month. Skip McD's a couple of times, and your house is protected.

Also, like mentioned before, visual deterents (sp?) are the best front line of security. Most, and I stress most, home burglaries are targets of opportunity. If thieves are canvassing a neighborhood, are they going to attempt a breakin on a house with what they perceive as an alarm, or go next door where there isn't one?

So, long story short... Good exterior lighting, quality locks, minimal blind spots (trim those shrubs), and a sign or two will go a long way without breaking the bank or shedding all over your couch 8)

Very true. When I was young and getting into the elctronics field. I worked for all the majors (Honeywell,ADT) and would often walk the customer around. We often found easy entry points. The garage door pull rope is one of the easiest and most used points. A coat hanger turned into a hook can be passed up through the header and the rope snatched. This will allow the burglar to enter and close the over head door behind him.

Cut the rope all but about 18" and take off the end piece. That is what the rope hangs onto.

I have some stickers and yard signs but no alarm. My company offers the monitoring for $5.00 a month, but it is too much hassle installing a new one.

MTS

#19 ·
Home protection on the cheap?

here is goes.

First off,
if you live in a house and have the freedom to own a large dog, I would suggest that. I would also suggest sending out for training as a home protection dog. regular house dogs don't provide much solice. Most criminals aren't worried by them.

Second,
Purchase a light timer for when you are out of town or out for the evening. They are quite cheap and many can be had for less than $100.00 that connect to you home computer where you can function up to 12 lights all with separte time scheduals. I like to have the kitchen, living room, bathroom, one of my hallways and the front porch lights all working with a random setup that turns them on and off randomly throughout the evening, having the porch light come on at least for 3 mins every 35 mins.

Third,
I would use a set of ADT or equivilent signs posted in plain view of all the sides of the house.

Fourth,
Motion detection lights outside. I have some in the front and back yards. If you have execively dark side yards you can mount them here too, but make sure to mount them high enough where a potential burgler can't get to them. And don't leave ladders or other equipment outside that will aid the entry of your house.

Fifth,
I Put a closed circuit TV camera in over all the exterior doors of my house and have them taping to a DVR. I also have these over the main windows on the first floor.

Sixth,
I put cheap window contacts on the bedroom doors and the main windows of the house. I used a hard contact epoxy to set them to the window frames and I do it in a place where they aren't going to be noticed.

Seventh,
I have thorny bushes around my house that are right up agains the house. Don't leave space where someone can get between them and the house. I also have razor wire in the bushes near the base (about 8" and up to about 15" off the ground) where if someone does try to sneak in through the windows they will be not only pricked by the thorny bushes but also cut severely by the razor wire.

These are just some of the things I have done and some that I can think of to help others.

#20 ·
Additional thoughts.

make sure you have quality dead bolts on all your exterior doors and that all the windows on the property are locked whenever you leave your house.

When you are home alone you can buy the large door stopper that are placed on the back of the door under the door handle/knob and prevent someone from forcing the door open.

Cut the release cords in any overhead garage. make sure you have flashlights with quality batteries in all the bedrooms and the people in those rooms knows how to use them and where they are.

I think that people should make it a part of their nightly routine to check all the windows and make sure they are locked, check all the doors and make sure they are locked and do a walk though of the house and garage. I even walk the perimeter of the house to make sure the motion detection lights are working and none of the bulbs have blown.

#21 ·
this link has a bunch of different cheap alarms of different types on it, I think for what your talking about probably one of the $30.00 motion alarms down the page a bit would fit the bill. I did see a multi-zone alarm on there also that looked pretty interesting for when your home. Like everyone says you get what you pay for, but on a limited budget its probably better than nothing. hope this helps

http://www.efindoutthetruth.com/Alarms.htmLike

ps: If you have a dog may want to set it up a bit high, or risk having him set it off and commiting suicide from the noise while your at work.

#22 ·
There are some cheap dummy cameras out there that are pretty good.The ones I bought actually track motion.They were 2for $10.00.I bought 10 of them.Motion sensor lights work well.Spanish bayonets make a nasty plant for window treatment.Rasberries can be vicious and tastey at the same time.PVC latice can be screwed to the window frames,and will work almost as well as burglar bars,and look nice to boot.A fenced yard with dogs is a good choice.Out of the 7(40 to 110lbs) I have at home,only 1 might bite you on her own,but once the pack comes to the rescue a burgler is DRT.At Radio Shack you can get a remote controlled motion alarm pretty cheap.I think those pepper spray alarms are fairly cheap,but nasty.A hole drilled in a window frame to stick a 16p nail in works pretty well.At Sam's you can get setup with 4 ccd's,a monitor and software that will allow you to monitor the cameras from any computer,or web enabled phone.When the sensor is tripped,it sends an alert to your mobile.The Whole setup was $199.99.Matt

#23 · (Edited)
Not exactly a "budget" because she cost $3800 and eats about $70 worth of food per month but she is the best layer of my home security system.

After they get through her, they have to get through me

and then if they succeed there there is a thick walled safe to contend with. :eek:

May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.

#24 ·
Costco has LED flood lights for $13 apiece - they'll last 100,000 hours, and they don't fail like fluorescent lights do when they're frequently turned on and off. Plus, they only take 27 watts to drive them, so they'll also work from a battery and inverter if the power goes off.

#25 ·
My ex-boss (I used to repair electronics) used a pretty neat system that I really never have seen before. If I remember correctly, he used an cheap door sensor/motion sensor system in which each sensor went back to a master station. It allowed you to tweak the sensors slightly. When the master station detected an interruption in the circuit, it would call a phone number and play a recording. It would call 911 and would play the recording. It was basically "this is [name of business] and there is a break in etc etc etc. Please come and check on it and call these numbers...." He also made a simple circuit that would play a siren sound over our UHF/VHF radio system. It worked quite well; I remember the sheriffs department calling me several times because of the alarm.

With computer parts being as cheap as they are, you could build a home DVR system fairly cheap. 1 Terrabyte drives can be had for $100 - $150 - that is a good start. Cameras and DVR cards can be had for little money, and most will allow you to view the cameras over a network. With a little planning, you could have a nifty DVR setup.

I read/glanced somewhere where someone said something about 220AC - I'm sure it was just said for fun, but, just in case someone tries to do something like that, there are legal issues with that. It's dumb, but it would get you in more trouble than it would be worth =/

#26 ·
Built a personal server that uses roughly 35-40w to run. Extremely energy efficient. Have a rough guild on how I built it on my site. Its running a windows server OS, which will make it easy to integrate any security feeds. The motherboard doesn't support any expansion cards, but there are boards out there that do.

Nice thing about the setup is that it allows for remote access, so you check up on the stuff say at work or while on vacation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.