SBS 96 bolt removal

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,

I just bought an SBS 96 Prohunter in .243 from a gun show today. I'm trying to remove the bolt, but it didn't come with a manual.

I found this little quote for an old Steyr Sbs Prohunter Mossy Oak GUNS magazine article on the internet:

"To remove the bolt, lift the handle and then put the safety on. Now simply pull the bolt out. As an added safety feature, when the bolt is re-inserted and closed, the SBS automatically goes to double lock."

Well, I lifted the bolt, put the rifle on safe, but the bolt definately will not come out. Is there someone out there with a similar model that can explain to me how to remove the bolt?

Thanks a lot.

2. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I have a SBS tactical and that is how I remove my bolt. All the SBS should be the same.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Does the bolt slide out easy for you?

This is what I just did:

1. The action is closed and the gun is on fire (red dot showing).

2. I lift the bolt all the way up.

3. I engage the safety (white dot showing).

4. I try to pull out the bolt, but it will not budge no matter how hard I try.

Does this sound right?

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

On my SBS Tactical rifle...I have red, white, and a gray button.

You want to have the little gray piece showing...the bolt will come right out...I have a McMillan A3 stock and I must lower my cheek piece in order for the bolt to slide out.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I finally got the bolt off. Rather than putting the rifle on safe with the bolt up, I had to keep pulling the safety until the gray tab pops out. Then I could release the bolt. So the instruction in that article weren't quite accurate.

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it:)

6. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Good to hear that you were able to remove your bolt. I didn't read my manual...just figured it out...figured it had to be pretty simple...Steyr's are pretty simple in design...which is good for guys like me.