Saw my Steyr M40A1 today

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DoctorW, Nov 2, 2007.

1. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

A little disappointed. The slide part looks pretty bulky.

The grip is ok, but not as amazing as I expected. Besides, it seems the finger groves does not match the position of my finger, and so it does not do any good, although not any bad either.

2. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

The slide even looks more bulky than a HK USP, although I think USP is already pretty bulky.

The numbers say that the width of M40A1 is 30cm and a USP is 30cm, but the M40A1 does really look more bulky.
    (It is just my feeling, because I do not have a USP to compare with the m40A1 side by side)

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I disagree on the USP comparison - my USPc .45 was pretty blocky. I guess on paper they are equal, but the Steyr conceals MUCH better for me. I guess the notorious H&K brick of a grip really complicates carry....

Don't let it get you down yet... I'm about to tell you something shocking... :shock:

My first firearms were ordered together inside 1 month - Sigarms Mauser M2 .40, HK USPc .45 SS, and my Steyr M9A1. I received all 3 within days of each other and I was supremely disappointed with the Steyr. It just didn't feel right, I wasn't jiving with the traps, and something was just plain missing. I almost sold the pistol! :shock: :oops: But I decided to give it another shot and a little more time - I ditched the traps for some PT night sights, threw a hogue tool grip (small) on it to add a little more bulk to the grip and to reduce "slip". I forced myself to take it to the range about every other time - it was hard to put down the USPc - it was just SO pretty... :twisted: However, as time went by, I began to notice (despite myself) that the Steyr was fast regaining my attention and respect. In about 3-6 months, I was a fan again. That's when I got over my ego/H&K trip and realized how much fun the M9A1 really was... When my CHL (and then my Blade-Tech UCH) came in and I started carrying the M9A1 back to back with my other pistols, I was lost... the Steyr won my heart and I haven't looked back ever since.

Moral of the long, drawn out story (sorry...) - don't be so quick to discount her. Give the pistol a fair shot and I suspect you will experience something similiar. Take it from one who has been there and done that... it's a small price to pay for true enlightenment. 8)

4. jerkface11

jerkface11 Guest

If you think a Steyr has a bulky/blocky slide try an XD sometime. They're as bad as a hi-point.

5. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

I never liked a XD. It looked so ugly to me. I did shot a XD (rent) once, and did not find anything specially interested me.

I think Glock is pretty good, but it is just too popular and I just shot too many glocks, so I will not buy a glock myself.

I like the looking of HK USP (full size version), but they are just too expensive. Then I found Steyr M. They look cool and compact, and, very cheap. So I got one.
    :p

6. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Syntax360
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
    I sure will keep the gun and shoot it. I never give up a gun I bought, although I am thinking about getting rid of some guns, just because of my budget and the small cabinet.
    :oops:

7. mr. ford

mr. ford Guest

i quite like the feel and grip angle of my m40.. the 111 degree grip angle is perfect for me.. fits like a glove. but that's most important, that you find a gun that fits your hands well.
    however, i also agree with syntax360, my m40 is quite easy to conceal. i do not consider it bulky at all compared to an xd or usp.
    just my $.02 :wink:

8. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I love this gun, there are issues but I still love it....and the more I use it the more I love it

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

[​IMG]

Get a Hogue Handall Grip and viola, new finger grooves. Don't know about your fingers, but it fits mine just fine. And IMHO it improves the grip on my M357-A1.

Syntax and others prefer the Hogue Tool Grip, small size. Fits a bit tighter with different grooves. Look at his V.1 upgrade of his M9-A1 to see the tool grip.

10. chp5

chp5 Guest

Does anyone know the degree of grip angle on a Glock? Thx.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

From Glock company site:
    I'd say they're about 6 degrees short of the perfect angle, Steyr's 111 degrees. :mrgreen:

12. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

The grip fits my hand pretty well, and I do not think I need any other external grip for that.
    But I feel the gun pretty muzzle heavy, just as it looks to be.

13. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I agree with that until it is loaded then it seems to balance out..