Savage 10FP

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by RiceCakes, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Well, I got a chance to shoot my baby again today. I gave her a real good cleaning this morning, and she paid me back for it. Shot like crap right out of the gate :cry:

I stuck with it, knowing that Savages like it dirty. My first shot was off the target at 100 yards with an 8 inch target. After about 15 shots I was about 1.5" right. I clicked some windage, changed targets. Ended up shooting .32 MOA 3 shot group to end the day. Black Hills 175 SMK. I'm hoping to roll my own starting september, but this is by far my best group yet. And it may have just been luck. I dont care, I'll take luck any day!! I'll try to remember to snap some pics tomorrow when I get home. :D

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

From 8+ MOA to .32 MOA because of the addition of dirt? :? How does Savage design that feature into the rifle?
    I would love to not clean and get better accuarcy. How often does that happen?

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Rice,

I would love to hear more about your experience with Savage....

what caliber is yours?

I just picked up the Model 10 Choate in .223

Looking 4ward to shooting it....

What pointers can you give me on this piece?

Thanks!!!!

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Can you really call 3 rounds a group? Stop being a chicken and do a 5rd or 10rd group. LOL

I had two Savage 10FPs and they both shot very well. I just could never get over the horrible action on Savage rifles. I owned the pre accutrigger versions, but I have accu trigger Savages as well. They shoot for the money, but once you shoot a Sako/Tikka, it's tough to go back to a Savage action. YMMV

I miss my 308 Savage, but my other 308s do just as well or better, so not a total loss.

5. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I was out of ammo, lol. I usually shoot 5 shot groups.

I really like my Savage. Shoot the hell out of it. One thing I learned was that the way they make them, the scope screw holes can warp a little. Burris signature zee rings will take it out, I HAD to use them, as my holes are out of center by about 30 thousandths.

I was really surprised too about how bad if was off when it was clean. My first shot REALLY had me scratching my head. But Ive heard that Pecision rigs shoot bad clean. I dont know how bad. But it did seem that bad. Of course I havent had much trigger time lately, but I dont think I would have thrown them that bad. :/

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

That level of deviation from cold bore to fouled barrel is a real problem for a rifle since usually the first cold bore shot is the most critical in a hunting or defensive situation.
    You should log your cold bore and subsequent shots so that you can memorize the difference between the zeros.
    If you zero your scope with a fouled barrel, then at the end of each shooting session you should clean your bore while still in the field or on the range. Then, fire two rounds and then pack up the rifle. If you have a critical first shot the next time out, then hold or dial in your cold bore deviation from your fouled-bore zero for the first 2 shots. Ambient temperature differences will affect these compensations, and you should test and record data at 3 or 4 significantly different ambient temperature points.

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I zero dirty. I shoot dirty. I shoot 2-300 rounds before I clean it. Cold bore shoots fine, I double lunged a deer at 80 yards last year, 1st shot. Who knows, maybe I was jerking it. :roll:

Next time I get out I will see how it does. make my .32 a 5 shot group :wink: