SAIGA 12 Gauge

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by ministerofdeath, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I'm pretty certain I've seen some of our members with some Saiga 12 Gauges and I was wondering what the impression of those members where of the shotgun?

In addition, does anyone know whether it is possible to get a Saiga 12k variant or the parts to convert one?

Thanks guys

2. yayarx7

yayarx7 New Member

It turns out the 12C has a 580mm barrel and the 12K has a 430 mm barrel. I think all the Saiga-12s sold here had the longer one.

As I understand it one cannot purchase a 12K or 12C due to importation laws. You can convert a regular 12 gauge to a pistol-gripped, folding-stocked facsimile of one if you do the US parts count thing.

I believe Tapco sells all you need for a conversion.

MUCH MUCH MORE INFO HERE: http://forum.saiga-12.com/

BTW, I saw the famous ALEX WAKAL red, comped, 3-gun Saiga-12 this Sunday at a local run-what-you-brung shotgun match. Run very nice and the 10 round home-made magazines made a very impressive display of speed and firepower. Even the guy with the USAS -12 is talking of going to a Saiga for competition.

I shot a slightly modified Saiga-20, just to try it out, it looks likes this would be the hot setup in 3-gun/shotgun competition.

I am gonna get one or two as soon as they start importing them again at the end of this year.

3. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

saiga imports

Yayarx, could you give a bit more detail on the saiga import situation? any links with news on that. I'm intersted in the .223 they have had in the past, but supply seems to have dried up on that one....also interested in the 7.62x39 version as well.

thanks

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I bought saiga 7.62 rifle and recieved it few days ago. nice rifle but take into account that quality control is not similar to russian gun makers. so you d better to select your rifle, I mean take several of them and compare. If you have an opportunity disasemble them or shoot them to see how it performs.

5. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

Saiga quality vs price

At about $200 for a semi auto .223 or 7.62mm saiga....i'm not expecting it to be a top of the line quality rifle, I'm looking for a fun shooter, and since the AK style is a pretty proven design, thought that would be a fun and inexpensive choice. .223 is pretty cheap to shoot, 7.62 as well.

I'm not running out to buy one any time soon, but i will keep it in mind to hand pick one if they do get the import situation resolved.

6. yayarx7

yayarx7 New Member

Re: saiga imports

Supposedly the new importer, Russian American Armory, will begin sales at the end of this year.

Check out the Saiga forum for all the dope on that.

For now some of the smaller distributors seem to still have them in stock. Military gun supply has 308s for $200 still. Gunbroker still has quite a few, prices are creeping up on them though.

7. srfl

srfl New Member

I have Saiga 12. I purchased mine when CDNN was selling them for $269. Mine has the adjustable sights. I wish I picked up two or three more of these guns as mine is as durable and reliable as any other AK. Recoil is no big deal with this gun; but I haven't tried slugs or 00 buck through the gun yet, so I can't comment on recoil with those loads.

If there's anything negative about the Saiga 12, is that they are not currently supported, like our beloved Steyrs, nor imported into the U.S. (yet) making parts and magazine availablity scare....especially with mags more than three rounds in capacity (there are five and eight round mags) aren't cheap; they can run you over $100 on Gunbroker or even eBay.

Go to the Saiga 12 forum to see great pictures of some Saigas modified with folding stocks, Russian furniture, AK sights, muzzle breaks, etc., to make them look like AKM's/AK-74's on steriods. Good stuff!