S9 slide won't go forward?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by dwillia29, Mar 10, 2007.

1. dwillia29

dwillia29 New Member

:?:

Hi,

I have two (2) generation one S9s, and they are by far my favorite handguns. Especially since I got my hands on a few S40 mags and converted them to hold 12 rounds. As long as you take your time, use a vise and calibrated calipers, it seems to be 100%. In my case, 500+ rounds and no failures whatsoever.

That, and the excellent plunger spring fix, pretty much made the S9 my #1 carry piece.

The question I have probably falls under the "minor annoyance" category, but it's getting to be like a fly buzzin' around my ear, and I hope someone here can help.

I'll do my best to describe this, but if it doesn't make sense, I'll try again:

In all Steyrs, after the last shot is fired, and the slide is held back, there are two ways to get it to go forward again:

1) Hit the slide release lever to slam it home; or
    2) Pull back on the slide slightly to disengage the slide release lever and let it slam into battery or just ease it forward.

Right? Okay.

Option #1 works just fine. However Option #2 (pulling back on the slide slightly) does not.

The slide release lever doesn't disengage. It's like it's stuck... Make sense?

I can't figure it out. I assume(d) it was an errant spring or wire, but both the working S9 and the non-working (well that's a little harsh; it works great!) appear identical.

Anyone else have this issue? Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks!
    David

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

do you have a magazine in the gun when pulling the slide back? empty or full?

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

ditto what mr. a. asked.

the follower in the mag engages a pokey down piece on the slide lock. when the mag is empty, the follower is all the way up which pushes up the slide lock.

IF the empty mag is still in there, then the follower is still pushing up on the slide lock, hence the slide won't go forward... unless you push it down.

if you are removing the empty mag, and the slide lock is still stuck, we'll go from there.

let us know.

4. dwillia29

dwillia29 New Member

Thanks for your replies.

I like your meticulous approach to the problem; i.e., first ruling out the obvious! Reminds me of asking "are you sure it's plugged in?". :wink:

In answer to your question, no the magazine is not inserted.

However, if may, I have some more info to add:

I removed both slides and toyed with the working catch and the non-working catch (I am SO glad I have two S9's to compare side-by-side).

With both slides removed, I can push the working catch up, and it springs back down as soon as I remove my thumb. On the non-working catch, it's like there's no spring at all (or just a tiny little bit, I can't tell). I push the catch up, and it remains in that position. I have to push it down manually.

I think that there is "some" spring in the catch b/c, with the slide on, it "almost" releases when the slide is pulled back manually (sans magazine). Less than 1mm of the slide keeps it from fully releasing.

Again, if I want it to go into battery, I can just push down on the lever and it slams home. But if the slide is out-of-battery, I can't manually pull it back slightly to release the catch and then ease it forward.

Does this help/make sense? I hope that I didn't muddy the waters...

Thanks again for your assistance!

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

[​IMG]

the next step is to either call jack and send the gun in.
    or learn how to take apart your frame carefully and put it back together.
    usually a easy process when knowledgeable but for the inexperienced
    naturally daunting.

when putting the frame back together its possible for the slide stop and spring
    to undo themselves if thats not bad enough you have the internal lock on the other side that is spring loaded
    and you have to push that into the metal frame while lower the metal frame into the polymer.

but lets keep the dialogue going here

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

obviously just trying to eliminate the obvious.

never know where to start, so just start at the easy place.

since it's consistent with one gun and not the other, i'd rule out a magazine issue. (obviously)

can't believe that the spring would have gotten weak. doesn't need much force to function.

i'm inclined to believe there's a problem with the pokey down piece on the slide lock that engages the follower. in which case sai would be the place to get a new one.

good luck.

7. dwillia29

dwillia29 New Member

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Jeff at SAI -- great guy. Steyr, imo, has the best customer service in the entire industry -- bar none.

Don't want to leave you folks out tho, thanks for the help!

The spring is showing on the slide of both S9's... Jeff told me to send it on in. I'm sure it's a minor, easy fix, but even partially disassembling a handgun is a daunting task for me. Spatial skills were never my strong suit.

Years ago, I broke down my Walther P99, carefully labeling each part & noting their orientation relative to one another.

It still took me two weeks -- and countless swear words -- to get it back together.

Also -- I'll post re: what Jeff said about the MA1 manual safety shortly. And perhaps it's already been mentioned (?), but those "mystery" Steyrs were issued to North Korea, specifically Kim Jung Il's bodyguard contingent.

I'm kidding! :twisted:

According to Jeff, they were issued to a SOUTH Korean spec ops unit.

Thanks again!

ps -- i'm going to "try" and post some pics of the slide lock in it's "up" and "down" positions here... only real reason being is i want to practice posting pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

sai is indeed great. they'll take good care of you. people have had really good return times as well, so your pistol shouldn't be mia for very long.