Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my hands on an S9-A1 and I already have a problem with it. Whenever I pull the slide back to chamber a round, the slide can be knocked out of battery through just a little force from pushing the slide forward. The force of the recoil spring does not put the slide back in place properly. I've having the exact problem as the person in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxbQPOVfb0

It appears that the recoil spring does not have enough force to push the slide back. Also, the spring is a bit "creaky" especially considering that it's brand new. None of my other pistols have this problem, should I give SAI a call? In it's current condition it is a no-go for carrying. That slight pressure on the slide renders the pistol completely useless. Merely putting it in a holster will cause it to go out of battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
cold it be a mag issue? the slide may be getting caught on an improperly inserted mag. just a wild guess!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold it be a mag issue? the slide may be getting caught on an improperly inserted mag. just a wild guess!
Unfortunately it behaves in this manner both with and without a mag inserted.

Also just for reference, the pistol is a late 2010 manufacture with the roll pin and was not part of the recall.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
When you load the weapon and rack the slide to chamber the round, do you let the slide slam forward, or are you riding the slide forward? With a Steyr, the proper drill is to let the slide slam forward, riding the slide forward will keep it from going fully into battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even after properly racking the slide, rear pressure applied on the slide at the front sight for approx 1/4", like what would take place when placing the firearm in a holster. It may just be break-in that is needed with the spring and barrel, but any addition insight the club may have would be helpful.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Tollerances are pretty tight on Steyr pistols.

But the recoil spring isn't meant to "push" the slide forward because your fussing with your gun and pulling it back that far.

Mine does not go back that far, but I can slightly set mine back slightly, but the weapon will still fire and push itself into battery while pulling the trigger.

I think the slide slightly hangs on the strikerfire assembly in the back because everything is so close together.

Should these firearms do it as badly as in the video?
I don't think so.
But how many rounds does his have though it, or is it new?

I can give you a few reasons for hangups with rounds in the chamber, but empty gun hanging, my only explanation is its hanging on the striker. Its VERY tight in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine does go back as far as the video, but it still goes back far enough that it's out of battery. If I gently push it into a holster put some slight pressure on it at the edge of a table it will put it out of battery. From that point the pistol the trigger pull is quite heavy since the trigger pull puts it back into battery. I never thought about it hanging on the strikerfire assembly but from the looks of it that is very possible.

I got about 110 rounds through it so far, do you think things will function better around the 300 round mark or so?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine does go back as far as the video, but it still goes back far enough that it's out of battery. If I gently push it into a holster put some slight pressure on it at the edge of a table it will put it out of battery. From that point the pistol the trigger pull is quite heavy since the trigger pull puts it back into battery. I never thought about it hanging on the strikerfire assembly but from the looks of it that is very possible.

I got about 110 rounds through it so far, do you think things will function better around the 300 round mark or so?
I am no expert, so I cannot say for sure.

Some pistols just function well out of the box because their tolerances are not quite as tight as Steyr. (Glock)

Some of the custom shop guns from places like S&W are the same way. Hand seated to each other any everything.

Here is what I suggest doing and paying attention too.

Clean the gun down and dont grease or oil it.
These are not fire tests, so its not a big deal.

When racking the slide back, pay very very close attention to where the barrel locks into the slide.
A lot of the hangup on my c9-a1 is right with this lock up. Its so tight that the spring cannot push the barrel vertically due to the way it locks up, and its TIGHT.

Then use grease to check for what parts rub where and how and record your results.

I'm going to guess the issue is with something around the striker area dragging, or with the barrel lockup into the slide. More likely the second. I just forgot about it last night (I was really tired)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am no expert, so I cannot say for sure.

Some pistols just function well out of the box because their tolerances are not quite as tight as Steyr. (Glock)

Some of the custom shop guns from places like S&W are the same way. Hand seated to each other any everything.

Here is what I suggest doing and paying attention too.

Clean the gun down and dont grease or oil it.
These are not fire tests, so its not a big deal.

When racking the slide back, pay very very close attention to where the barrel locks into the slide.
A lot of the hangup on my c9-a1 is right with this lock up. Its so tight that the spring cannot push the barrel vertically due to the way it locks up, and its TIGHT.

Then use grease to check for what parts rub where and how and record your results.

I'm going to guess the issue is with something around the striker area dragging, or with the barrel lockup into the slide. More likely the second. I just forgot about it last night (I was really tired)
That sounds good, I might give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
My new unfired S40-A1 (but 2013 production :( ) has the same problem.
Because my lube and detergent arrives Friday Itook some leftover motor oil and lubed the gun per owner's manual. I've been dry firing it for two days now and it feels almost too good to be true ( the trigger)

After reading the advice above, I decided to add extra dab of oil with the tip of plastic fork, to the outlined areas below, and now my new baby WANTS to slam all the way into battery. Couldn't be happier, and I believe it will no longer need lube at said points once it "breaks in".

I did not lube anywhere else not illusrated in the owner's manual.
My thanks to this forum:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts