S40 Reassembly

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by rewound, Jul 13, 2013.

1. rewound

rewound New Member

Hi all, new to the forum and new to the gun arena in general. Purchased an S40 late last year and during the most recent cleaning I noticed a small fissure in the multifunctional element. I have disassembled it using the various guides posted on the site and have "reassembled" it with what I thought was no problem. I went to rack the slide is it seemed almost locked forward. I have to pull the trigger to allow the slide to be pulled to the rear. I've gone over all the dis/reassembly instructions I can find but cant seem to figure out where I'm making the mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Welcome to the club! Is your S40 an A1 model? That's what I have, so I'm not sure if take down and reassembly are the same between S40 and S40-A1.

3. rewound

rewound New Member

Yes, it's the A1 model. Other than the manual safety seen in a lot of the guides it seems to be the same. But then again, i could be missing something since I'm having issues

4. rewound

rewound New Member

Oh, and thank you for the welcome waltherfan01!

5. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Rewound, I'm lookin' at my S40-A1 right now and can't figure out what would be causing your issue. Are you seating the barrel all the way when you reinsert it in the slide? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I can't figure out what you might be doing wrong (if anything).

6. rewound

rewound New Member

I was fine when I was just pulling the slide off and barrel out to clean it. The issue arose when I pulled the multifunction element out and then attempted to put it back together. I didn't touch the slide assembly. I'm wondering if I could have either damaged a spring or just not put together the various parts around the sear properly.

Prior to putting the multifunction element back in the frame I noticed that the trigger, when pulled, is a bit rough and doesn't really engage the sear unless I press the sear against the part of the trigger assembly that engages it. Sorry for the run-on sentence there...

7. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Ok. Sounds like you take your gun down past field stripping, which is something I don't do (never had the need nor the inkling, but that's just me). I hope you figure it out sooner rather than later. Sorry I can't help anymore.

8. rewound

rewound New Member

Not a problem. I really appreciate the time and help you've given me up until this point. Hopefully someone can lead me in a the proper direction. My issues doesnt sound too far off from the below thread. The only difference is that my slide seems completely locked after I put it back on after the reassembly. I have to pull the trigger to have the slide move at all.

M357 A1 Slide Locking Up

9. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

If you haven't already done it, download the Big Taco tutorial from the Downloads tab here. Push the take down lever down and remove the slide again. Look to see that the slide stop lever is correctly spring loaded. Remove the take down lever from the weapon, you may have to move the slide stop lever around to get it to let the take down lever be pushed out to the right. If you remove the fire control group unit and slide the barrel and slide onto it, you can move it to the rear and cock the sear. You can also use the trigger bar to release it. (ONLY ON UNLOADED WEAPONS - needless to say). You should be able to figure out what the problem is. Check that the springs for the sear and post are installed correctly (ask me how I know that one). Check that the pins that support the sear and springs aren't extending out on the left side of the FCGU, it binds the trigger bar and can increase your trigger pull weight and even cause non-reset problems. While you have it apart polish the surfaces of the trigger bar and the FCGU where the trigger bar rubs. I then put a dry moly lube on it so I wouldn't have to do so again.

Do all of this in a kitchen trash sack to keep springloaded parts from getting away. Good Luck.

10. rewound

rewound New Member

Thanks for the response! The BT tutorials and Cort's disassembly guide are the ones I followed. Along with a video I found that I think is one of BT's. I'll run through this in the next few days and see if what you've mentioned helps me identify any issues. I'll post the result as soon as I can.

11. test733

test733 New Member

ETH77 gave a good advice. Check that spring number 12 (catch spring) and drop safety (nr. 32) are installed correctly. Check photos below for more detail.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

12. IronMan_7586

IronMan_7586 New Member

hey not sure if you figured it out but this thread sure helped me! I had spring number 12 in wrong and didn't figure it out until I looked at test733's pictures...I have taken this dang thing completely apart so many times now and even talked to steyr tech support. as it turns out all the pictures I was looking at were either wrong or just at the right camera angle where I couldn't see the true orientation. thanks so much for posting those pics! now I can finally get my glock toting friend to stop laughing at me...

13. Fealix

Fealix New Member

This is the exact issue I am having. I have had the catch spring in correctly. I could have just fouled up some of the springs trying to put it in before I found BT instructions.