Steyr Club Forums banner
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  breacher 
#1 ·
I am in the process of doing a trade for an S40. Unfortunately I thought it was a S40-A1. I did a search for a comparison between the 2, but couldnt find anything. What are the differences, good, bad, indifferent? Would I be better off getting an S40-A1? I currently own a M9-A1. Thank You in advance

#2 ·
I also had a chance to get a S40 used at a very good price but went with the A1 and am well pleased that I spent the extra 300 bucks.
Here is a snippet from Wikipedia on the differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M

Variants
Steyr M9-A1 with magazine and tactical light.
The compact Steyr S9-A1.In 2004, an improved version of the pistol replaced the Steyr M in production. The new Steyr M-A1 and S-A1 pistols received several improvements. The grip of the pistol has been redesigned with some textured surfaces as was the magazine well (uses the same magazines), ergonomics have been slightly altered to improve grip, the manual safety button is now optional (not in models sold in the United States, all US imports lack the manual safety) and the lower forward portion of the frame now consists of a STANAG 2324 Picatinny rail for mounting accessories.

In 2010, Steyr Mannlicher US began reimporting Steyr M-A1 and S-A1 pistols.[5] The newly imported Steyr M and S have a revised slide imprinted with the Steyr Arms logo.[citation needed] The newly imported 2010 models have a roll pin in the slide improving trigger pull and a modified extractor for easier ejecting of casings.[citation needed] Due to liability reasons, all Steyr M pistols imported to USA are not available with the manual safety.

You can check the 3 digit date code on the slide to make sure it was manufactured on or after 2010 which should read *WO or *WW with the * being the month code.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
A1 have a picatinny rail and the newer extractor and the manual safety. The grip is a bit different but after that they are the same.

#5 ·
I actually like the grip frame on the M40 over the newer A1 pistols. Wish it had a tac rail for my Surefire though. My old, 5XXX serial #, M40 actually has a better trigger than either of the newer A1 pistols I've owned (pre roller bearing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.