S40-A1, trigger reset

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by YellowPerchMan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

Looks like my new S40 is hit with the trigger reset bug. Have checked out Big Taco's trigger reset tutorial.

However, before I continue, let me run my scenario out to the club. Picked it up Friday as it came in that day. So once I got to the FFL/range, I took it like a little kid at Christmas and went into their indoor range. Yeah, I know, I probably should have taken it home first and cleaned it. But didn't. Had my Glock 27 with me so I was ready to go with some .40 ammo anyways. I get down into the range, and started off with some 180gr Speer Lawman FMJ. Seemed like every other shot was a stuck trigger with no reset. I coulnd't figure out what was going on as I didn't know about the trigger reset plague. I'd drop the magazine, clear the chamber and reload, and same thing. Over and Over. Then it dawned on me the trigger wasn't resetting after 3 magazines. After the shot, I would nudge the trigger forward with my trigger finger and then proceed to the next round.

As my session went on, it seemed the issue began to resolve itself. I probably ran about 250+ rounds through it that day and can say it did get better as it was not occurring with the initial frequency. Although, it still did occur enough that I decided that, for now, this will not be my EDC.

Since then, I have taken it home, cleaned up the carbon/powder residue from the slide, frame, spring, etc. Given that it did seem to begin to correct itself, would you all recommend another 200+ rounds until a diagnosis of a fix must be made? Thanks ladies and gents!!!​

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

It sounds like you should really do the drill on the trigger to improve the reset. At the same time, polishing the trigger bar where it passes along side the MIM module (the chunk of metal that holds the trigger, and the rest of the fire control group), will make the trigger pull even better. Make sure that the pins which hold the sear and post into the modulte don't protrude on the side where the trigger bar runs, and make sure that the slightly more rounded ends of the pins are on that side. If they stick out they can drag on the trigger bar, having the slightly more rounded ends out keeps that from being a problem.

When you polish the trigger bar, use 1600 or 2000 grit don't use coarse sand paper. You can find these in an auto body shop, or auto paint supplier. They are used for fine finishing of car paint jobs.

3. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

Happy to report that I hit the range today for the first time since the above post. The store had a 1 box of ammo per person policy, so I ran through 50 rounds of PMC Bronze, 165gr JHP and 9 rounds of Federal GuardDogs. No reset issues.

Seems like it worked itself out.