S40-A1: First day at the range! My report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Roger Woodbury, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Roger Woodbury

Roger Woodbury New Member

Well, I finally got to the range this afternoon. I go to Maine Military Supply but Bangor is nearly fifty miles from where I live so it takes a bit or organizing with my wire, our shopping needs, etc, to make the trip. I wanted to be sure I had enough time to really work the new Steyr C40, but today was a perfect day for the drive and all the other things we needed to do.

I decided I'd make this as methodical a range experience as possible. I was carrying with me 150 rounds of 165 grain, 50 rounds from three different manufacturers so I figured I'd know for sure how this gun would do at the start. Right after it arrived I took it down and carefully cleaned and oiled it, so I was quite certain it was as ready as it could be.

It's of value here to mention that the ONLY automatic pistol I have fired in the last fifty years was my Stoeger Cougar. I have put around 400 rounds through that, and am comfortable with it, and with using it as a gauge against the Steyr. Both pistols are in 40 caliber. I have never fired a striker fired pistol before, nor have I ever fired a polymer framed pistol so this was going to be a completely new experience.

First up, I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC. I have fired these through the Cougar without issue and the same was true of the Steyr! I started at ten, then fifteen feet and found I got about five inch grouping, all a bit low and to the left. I wasn't surprised, but had zero failures of any sort with the fifty rounds.

Next up was the Winchester "white box". I started shooting at fifteen feet then moved out to twenty, then twenty-five feet. Again, the run was shooting a bit low and to the left but the grouping was tighter. I expected I might pull a bit low and to the left as I do that with the Cougar also. I was NOT expecting the hits on target to remain constant in terms of location and grouping. About half way through the Winchester, I realized I felt less recoil and less flip with the Steyr than with the Cougar. I was also amazed at how light the trigger is ALWAYS. I found I might pump a second round off faster than I expected, but when I realized that I also noted that the trapezoidal sights fell naturally back on target, MUCH more easily for me than the three dot sites on the Cougar.

Finally, I was down to the last box of ammo. For the third box I was carrying 50 rounds of Freedom Munitions, 165 grain Reman which I had used in the Cougar most of all and also in 38 caliber in the S&W Model 67 when I first started to shoot again three plus years ago. I never had a failure of any kind and the Cougar ate it all and ejected properly. I was really interested in the Steyr's reaction to the remanufactured ammo because it really is less expensive overall than anything I can buy in retail stores here. I was pleasantly surprised as the Steyr noticed the reman ammo not at all, loaded, fired and ejected all with not a whimper.

So, in my experience so far:

1. The Steyr was the RIGHT pistol after all the wrangling and hand wringing I did, it is the perfect size for me to use as a carry weapon: the right size, the right weight and I have no fear about the gun failing to do what it has to do should I need that result.

2. The Steyr is a very soft shooter in 40 caliber. It is AT LEAST as gentle to shoot as the Cougar and I think considering that it is lighter and fits my hand a bit better, the Steyr is a superior firearm.

3. I really enjoy shooting the Cougar. It "feels" like a finely crafted tool. I notice none of the rough casting or finishing comments some I have read on line have mentioned. Those "un-Beretta-like" touches are simply not there on my Cougar. I paid $295 including shipping from a seller on Gunbroker.com. It's a wonderful firearm. To be sure it's fairly heavy and is, let us say, plump in the handgrip. I think I could easily best describe the difference between the Cougar and the Steyr, other than the difference in overall size, the Cougar feels almost "old school", and the Steyr feels more like a truly modern firearm. I won't give either one away!

So that's my range report. I call the Steyr an unqualified success, a wonderful fiream and I'm looking forward...no: can hardly wait until I can go back to the range and see if I can make those groups tighter and then push the target out another fifty feet. And next time I go, I'll be prepared to shoot more than 200 rounds, too.

schgsd, MicPop and b_minus like this.
  2. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Welcome to the site Roger. I'm another member from the land of Lobstah and have been known to walk through the doors of Maine Military on occasion. That is a nice modern range. I'm also a member of Capitol City RPC in Augusta which is a great place to shoot. That was a nice price for that S40, you got a great deal.

3. Roger Woodbury

Roger Woodbury New Member

Thanks for the info about the range in Augusta. I might try that since Augusta is closer to me than Bangor. Incidentally, is it true that so long as you are holding a Steyr, it's open season on Lobstahs here in Maine?

4. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy Member

I thought that when you guys from Maine needed a shooting range, you just stepped out your back door! ;)

5. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Oh yeah, pretty much anywhere you can stack a few tires and throw a few boards across em for a bench. :rolleyes:

Home_Range.jpg

Dodgeboy likes this.
  6. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Yes but watch out because unless you use a suppressor the harbormaster will soon be by for his portion of the catch.

7. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Range_Day_102417.jpg

I was at Capitol City yesterday. The range is a private club with both outdoor ranges and an indoor one. PM with some contact info if you want to be a guest sometime and check it out.