S40-A1 Break In ???

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ghettler, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ghettler

ghettler New Member

I took my new S40-A1 to the range Saturday to try it out. I have heard that they are tight and may have some FTF/FTE initially.
    I had to fire 100+ rounds before I could get the 1st 10 round mag to not fail in some sort of way. What I had was:
    1.) Failure to go into battery mostly
    2.) Only one stove pipe
    3.) 2nd trigger pull ignitions (not sure if this was after I started pushing the slide forward or a result of the double action of the Steyr.
    After about 150 rounds, she fired the remaining 50 without a hitch.

My question: is this expected? I am going to shoot another 100+ this weekend and am hopping all will shoot without failure.

I hate to compare this pistol with my Glock 23 that I currently carry, but that puppy never missed a beat in 5000+ rounds.

2. timfife

timfife New Member

I have never had a problem with any ammo I used and have fired a few thousand rounds through my M40a1 I sold my first one to my friend of mine in the Marines and he has fired several thousand rounds without a hiccup and different ammo. I bought both new and have read there is no reason to "break it in". I do anyway (1 round-clean x10). Sounds like in just may have needed a good polishing? Keep us posted on the next range day. The only time mine ever stove pipped or double tapped was when my girlfriend was firing and was tired and limp wristed a few rounds.

3. unit1069

unit1069 Member

I had three FTEs in the first range trip with my new S9-A1. After Round 69 it's shot every kind of FMJ and JHP ammo I've fed it and is now my primary CCW piece. I did install the new extractor but other than that it's stock. Sometimes you just have to break in a pistol and Steyr is apparently one where it's required.

I also have a Glock that's been perfect right out of the box, but it's slightly larger and the ergonomics aren't a nice as the S9-A1 although I carry it when I'm not carrying the Steyr. It's hard to go wrong with having two top-quality Austrian pistols.

4. HOG-I

HOG-I New Member

:)New S40-A1, first range time. Ran 70 Winchester white box fmj thru with one fte - dropped the mag and hard racked the slide with no more problems. Running out of daylight so loaded two mags identical with 4- Win. fmj, 2 Win self defence jhp, 2 Hornady ftx jhp and 2 Federal (new) Guard Dog jhp. Fired all without a hiccup. Great gun and can't wait to put another 100 or so rounds thru this beauty.

5. khoff

khoff New Member

Glock chambers and Steyr chambers should not be compared, especially .40sw glock chambers. although glock has recently tightened up their chamber dimentions they were notoriously huge and sloppy for years that is one of the reasons for glocks legendary reliability. Steyr pistols on the other hand have a notoriously TIGHT chamber. at least my three do. and you are right they are "great guns".

6. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Thanks for this clarification. Cheers.

7. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Let it beak in through about 300 rounds. It'll loosen up. If it was brand new, you should have cleaned it thoroughly before you shot it.

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

That's good info, Kelty*! :thumbsup:

When firearms are new, they are lubed during parts manufacturing processes and assembly. In the event that they are stored for a while, the lube can "thicken". When ya first get your hands on 'em, disassemble 'em an' clean the piss outta them with your favorite cleaners, then go back with a CLP lube like Break-free. Wipe the excess back off and what remains is plenty. The more this happens, the more the lube will permeate the steel surfaces and the action will become smoother because there's less friction, IMHO. <shrug>

And don't be afraid to dry-fire any striker fired pistol, once ya know its not loaded. The slide action and trigger action will only improve with use until ya wear it the f*ck out...and the reliabilty and your confidence will improve, until such time as a part is wore the f*ck out and needs a new part. So far, I haven't wore out any of my M357-A1 parts, except for a few mag springs. <shrug>

And feed your firearms their favorite diet! You will come to realize what it is after you've put what ya can downrange. That only takes time an' $. <shrug>

Take care and be safe, Bro.

Wulf <-- all his firearms have clean bores and smell of CLP!

9. Brooksie365

Brooksie365 New Member

Just purchased the same gun today. I brought it to the range and put 100 rounds through it and had 12 unfired bullets with pin marks in them. Is that excessive?

10. Talyn

Talyn New Member

re-loads? <?>

11. Brooksie365

Brooksie365 New Member

not reloads they were blazers with aluminum cases

12. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Yeah. your gonna have problems with a new gun and blazer aluminum. Almost all new guns do unless they have poor tolerances (glock).

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I never had trouble with Blazer - I've shot more aluminum case than probably any other load :confused:. I would try switching ammo and seeing if that makes a difference.

14. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Blazer is fine, but everything I've read says you'll usually have problems with aluminum or steel cased ammo from the get go. I always suggest running at least 100 brass through before going for the aluminum.
    The cases expand differently in the chamber compared to brass. but we all know this.

15. Brooksie365

Brooksie365 New Member

Good to know I am new to the gun club. its very good to know that brass reacts differently. being from Massachusetts ammo is very expensive and the blazzers are the cheapest at 17.99 that i have found in .40 cal. Is there a certain brand i should use?

16. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Nothing wrong with blazer at all, but firearms can be fussy with it off the get go until they are worn in.

Brass expands differently in the chamber than the aluminum does, so sometimes guns will have problems extracting aluminum casings.

The best advice for any shooter when it comes to ammo is that as long as your fire arm is rated for it and its performing as you like, shoot it.

Nuff said?

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That's a good point - I didn't "discover" Blazer until well after my first Steyr was broken in.

18. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I cannot even buy it here, i'd have to order it online.
    Holy crap is that a hell of a process just to buy a few bullets. Paper work extreme!

I said screw it.

Now I'm lucky to have a few dollars in my pocket to buy food.

Though, I traded brass for re-loads the other day. One of the seasonal neighbors here re-loads and we were talking about it. He said he wanted me to try some 9mm reloads. Just said "save me the brass."
    So seeing as I save all my brass anyways, (precious metals... duh) I went home and counted out 100 rounds and threw in some 38 specials to be funny and traded him. Got 50 hollow point reloads here. Cannot go out behind the house and shoot like I was down in tennessee, so.... I'm carrying reloads and I don't even know if they are reliable, because I'd rather shoot a hollow point in self defense than FMJ's.

19. Cat91

Cat91 New Member

That pin mark thing is the thing I was seeing with my S-40A1 today. It's caused by the slide not going into battery. It might be off just a little bit but you can see it if you look and if you don't thumb it closed then you'll get a primer ding and no boom. I have no clue what is causing this but it is irritating to say the least.

HVerg likes this.
  20. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Could you be more detailed about this "pin mark" thing?

Are you talking about firing pin smear?