S Series For Sale

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mrboma, Jun 17, 2007.

1. mrboma

mrboma Member

Experts please chime in...

Doing some shopping today on gunsamerica and found an S series 9mm. Asking 400.00.
    Too good to be true? Sounds like a fine deal to me.

At my local shop/range they have a used Steyr M9-A1 9MM for 400.00 with one 10 round mag.

Desicions desicions desicions. One of these will be aqquired, just in a pickle as to which one. I am looking for a smaller pistol than my primary right now (Colt 1911 Gov.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal to me [assuming all is Ok with the pistol]!!!

I have seen the S9's run between 400 and 600 around here......

Let us know what you decide!

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The S9 and S9A1 aren't too terribly rare, and that price seems to be about the going rate...

I personally prefer the M-A1 size for carry, but a lot of folks like a smaller package. I just don't think the (slight) reduction in size is necessary. If you are used to carrying a 1911, the dimensions of the M-A1 combined with the significantly lighter weight will please you.

Why must you buy local? If you order a M9A1 or a M40A1 from CDNN, you'll at least get 2 normal capacity mags for less $$$ than your local shop wants...

4. mrboma

mrboma Member

Kalifornia

CDNN wont ship to Kalifornia. :(
    Desicion to be made Monday and I will let you know.
    Thanks for the comments,
    Mike

5. Seven

Seven Premium Member

I dunno...

...I think I might risk disagreement with Mr. Syntax there. My S9 will fit into the pocket of standard cargo pants (the front pocket, not the big 'cargo' one). I think the M series is just enough bigger that you couldn't do that.

Now, he is right about getting more gun for less money if you could order a new M9-A1 in from CDNN. A buddy of mine just got one, and loves it. But since that's a bit of a problem for you...

Either way you go, good luck!

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My M9A1 will easily fit into the cargo pocket of my pants, and even into the regular front pocket (though it prints pretty bad and just barely fits). But this is hardly a fit way to carry a pistol with no manual safety and both M and S are probably too thick to pocket carry on a regular basis. Like I said - we all have different preferences - go with whatever works best for you. For regular IWB carry, my M9A1 is by far and away the best pistol I've ever carried.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I would go the CDNN route, especially if I were used to carrying 1911 iron.

8. mrboma

mrboma Member

Did not mean to be misleading

Gentlemen,
    As my primary defense weapon is the 1911, I try to make a point to NOT carry it around. It has joined me on some trips where I felt less-than-safe, but it's not something I tote around like my cell phone.

The Steyr M91A has always been on my hit list for "must have" (as well as the AUG) and to finally find 2 of the pistols I am considering at the same time, I'll admit - I am stumped. Really leaning towards the M and supporting my local shop has always made me feel good. The idea os the S intrigues me, but the lack of "need" to carry it makes the desicion a bit easier.

On another note: the 1911 jammed like a bunch of old berries on me yetserday at the range. Compensators can be tricky I guess. Reliability is key to me, but the double tap ability with hyda-shock's make me sleep a little better.

To all of you who support this forum and feed it with the wealth of information that is here, I thank you.
    My desicions have been made much easier having been here.

Mike

9. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi mrboma,

am not an expert but would strongly consider the s9 for carry if you dont care about having a picatinny rail for attachments and want the option of using the manual safety. the new s-a1 s have a blockier muzzle end and are apparently not available with a manual safety in the US - have heard some folks on list express a preference for the older design. recommend doing a site search and reading what various users have liked and disliked about this older model.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Uh - guys... he's in Cali - CDNN and carry are not something he is fortunate enough to worry about. :evil:

All the more reason to go the M route...

11. mrboma

mrboma Member

Hahaha

Not sure I could have said it better myselk Syntax.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

truth be told, while m series aren't a dime a dozen, you can usually find them around $400 without looking too hard.

the s series on the other hand... is kinda rare. if you have the opportunity and inclination to be interested in the s series, i'd say buy it.

you won't lose much if anything if you decide to sell it at a later date.

plus, having both, the s series just feels better. i don't know... just a personal opinion.

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Mrb* :)

+1 for the S Series. I gotta M357-A1 and an S9-A1. Both are great modern sidearms. M9-A1's are pretty easy to get by comparison...right now. If ya go with the S9 and don't like it, sell it here. It'd be snatched up PDQ. <shrug> Either way, you'll appreciate 'em. G'luck. :)

Wulf

14. madecov

madecov Active Member

I concur. The S is a bit more rare and you'll likely kick your self in the posterior if you don't get it.
    CDNN has plenty of the MA1's. They'll be available for a while and once they are out Steyr will be back in business.

15. mrboma

mrboma Member

Great advise

Thank you all for chiming in. I am currently waiting for a reply from the S owner. Should be taken care of this week (I hope).

Madecov / Wulf - I am in agreement with you. Get the hard to find, worry about details later.

I will keep you all posted on the progress of this transaction.

Mike

16. mrboma

mrboma Member

That's it.... I AM MOVING!

Today is a sad day in my life. Just got off the phone with the owner of the S series and here is what I found out...

1. This pistol has had less than 100 rounds through it.
    2. They know the whole history of this pistol - and it is in pristine shape.
    3. THE DAMN 9mm VERSION IS NOT CALIFORNIA LEGAL!!!!!!!!!
    4. 40 S&W IS LEGAL

Model Gun Type Barrel Length Caliber Exp Date
    S-A1 / Steel, Polymer Pistol 3.6" .40 S&W 2/8/2008
    M357-A1 / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4" .357 SIG 1/24/2008
    M40-A1 / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4" .40 S&W 1/24/2008
    M9-A1 / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4" 9mm 1/24/2008

Something about Steyr Arms shipping firearms to Iraq.

Well, sad for me and hopefully a great find for others.

Here is all the info needed to snatch this rare pistol up (regretfully):

Guns America Link:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/View/_976891999.aspx

Owners Name and Number: Kelsey Hilderbrand 509-679-2230

Kelsey was a great guy to talk to and I promised to post his stuff for others who might be intersted.
    I am going to the local shop/range tomorrow to acquire the M9.

Thanks again to all who helped me with this desicion, sadly it turned out to be for not.

Mike

17. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I'm confused. Why would the S9 be illegal but not the S40?

18. mrboma

mrboma Member

Your Confused?!?!?

I am SO confused! Seems like shame.
    Mike

19. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

There are 4 Steyr pistols currently on the CA DOJ list. Only the S40-A1, M9-A1, M40-A1, and M357-A1 can be purchased from out of state.

If You find a S9 or S40 already in California then it is legal to do a FTF purchase.
    _______
    mugdava

20. mrboma

mrboma Member

Thank you

Mug,
    Thanks for that. Been looking for about a year and haven't seen on in Cali.
    Off to grab the M9 this week, you just cant always get what you want.

Mike