S-40 Slide Cracking Question

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DougK, Apr 18, 2007.

1. DougK

DougK New Member

I have been reading that the slide is cracking on the S-40. WHat are the issues causing this? What can be done to keep the slide from cracking?

Thanks
    Doug

2. azmike

azmike Guest

Mine appears to be caused by the guide rod slamming into the frame, crushing the tiny sections of polymer that sit immediately forward of the steel frame insert. Talked to Steyr about it, and they said that the cracks in this area are not of concern structurally. I'm not that concerned about it after doing some research on it myself. IMO, my particular gun is slightly undersprung. I'm going to experiment with a heavier recoil spring, and look for a buffer that will fit as well, IF I ever get time to get to the range.

I have heard that there is only a specific serial # range that has this problem.

Hope this helps.

3. smores

smores Guest

Do you know what this Serial # range is?

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the slide doesn't crack

two little tabs in the frame crack. but it's really no big deal structurally

there are two little plastic tabs directly above the front of the trigger guard inside the frame. these two little tabs get bashed by the slide during recoil. the only function of these two plastic tabs is location of the subframe. there are two little hooks in the back of the subframe that go into the grip, then you have the takedown lever holding the whole thing together.

the two tabs just keep it in postion until you get the takedown lever in. they are not doing anything else. zero.

the other way they get ruined is if you have your guide rod off center during re-assembly. the side of the guide rod hits the little plastic tab and puts a lot of force on the tab if you try to install the slide. this can crack them.

don't worry about it. i think that in time more s frames will be made available. in the mean time...blast away.

5. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

Its ironic to find this thread cos I was cleaning my S40 after the range last night and just noticed the right frame damage. I am concerned as there is a hairline crack along the crevice of the frame. The red circle does not show any cracking though. Should I contact SAI regarding this? It seems some have gotten the frame replaced.
    In this photo of my S40
    [​IMG]

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

one guy got his frame replaced

and he got the last s40 frame in the country. atleast in sai's inventory.

sai cannot do anything for your situation right now. what they've done in the past is given any dissatisfied customers new M a-1s. which is unbelieveably nice of them. and i'm not sure if that is still their current solution.

don't worry about the crack. a little piece will eventuallt break completely free. you can go ahead and remove this piece now if you like.

the gun will run no problem. i can promise you this based on personal experience.

as said, it's not inconceivable that more s frames will be made available. i'm sure that steyr still has the molds and has a little molten plastic laying around.

7. azmike

azmike Guest

Don't know the total serial # range, but mine is 32xxx. With regard to what SAI may do to assist customers who have had this issue, who knows. I'm guessing that if they do get another batch of frames in, they may opt to charge for them. My Steyr had a warranty card for one year only, and while I realize that some manufacturers are very good about repairing out of warranty weapons, they are certainly under no obligation to do so. The firearms industry seems unique in that companies will go to such lengths to please a customer, even owners of second or third hand guns. Very gratifying to see, but not something to take for granted.

8. eazyeddie

eazyeddie Guest

is it only the s40

is it only the s series that has the cracking problem or does the the m series have it too all the talk on the forem and on the web but nothing about the m40 or ma1 cracking ?

any help please... :?: :wink:

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

m series has a beefier tab.

no worries mate!!

the thing about guys with guns... you gotta keep them happy!!! :D

sai provides exceptional service for any industry. they go well above and beyond their obligation.

it goes back to an old rule of business. it costs 12 times more to get a new customer than it does to keep one you have. by those numbers, replacing s frames is a bargain. i hope sai and steyr austria come to an agreement about how to deal with this particular problem. i'm sure whatever they decide, it will be more than fair.

10. loneeagle308

loneeagle308 Guest

034XXX is my serial #. Still waiting for a reply back from SAI.

11. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

That would be me :D

The newer S frames have the same style tabs as the M now.

I don't know that SAI's current status is vis a vis replacement parts, so you'll want to call them first. But they're good folk and will do whatever they can to make it right.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

zundfolge, i think it only fair that we all take turns using your beefier s frame.

i'll take my two weeks from june 5th to june 19th.

everybody else can sign up for a time as well. just pm zundfolge with your requirements and he'll happily part with his brand spanking new crack-proof frame!!! :D :D :D :D

we can all have dreams, right?

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

While we're dreaming, I'll take an S40 off someone's hands who doesn't have any confidence in a tabless Steyr, add one of your uncaptured rods, and fiddle with spring rate, and have the only S40A1 on CONUS. :lol: