S-40 owners

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by S-40shooter, Aug 20, 2007.

1. S-40shooter

S-40shooter Guest

Hello everybody. I picked up a S-40 a year or so ago but just recently found this site. The gun is in the 21000 range of serial numbers and is in near perfect condition in the original box with 3 mags total. Is there anything specific I should watch out for or should know about as far as malfunctions? I was reading up on the rod possibly breaking the tabs inside but i wasn't able to find any tabs in mine for the rod to break. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help. This looks like it will be a great site.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

best darn steyr site on the whole info super highway!!!!

you've got tabs. the tabs we're talking about are in front of the sub-frame.

just make sure you line up the guide rod with the locking lug on the barrel before putting the slide on. with the slide upside down and when looking from the breech end of the gun, make sure that you can see equal parts of the guide rod head sticking out from each side of the locking lug.

they still might break, and if they do, the gun still functions fine, but this is the easiest way to ensure they stay together.

3. S-40shooter

S-40shooter Guest

Does anyone have a picture of these tabs. I'm still a little lost here. I always make sure the rod is lined up perfectly but I am worried the P.O. may have not. Thanks again guys.

4. azmike

azmike Guest

Search S-40 and you'll probably get a photo of the tabs. They were posted here last spring.

Mine cracked, the gun still works fine. Extra recoil springs are a help, as the ammo I use (Federal 155 grain classic HP) runs a bit hot, and appears to wear them out by around 1000 rounds (not just in the S40, but other makes too. Beretta, for one).

5. S-40shooter

S-40shooter Guest

I was never able to find a pic of these tabs. Can anyone help me out here?

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

let me try to get a pic of mine.