Ruger P Series

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I know that Ruger isn't one of the elite brands, but I have always had a soft spot for Rugers. I acquired a P85 when they first came out and were in the military trials (along with the Steyr GB) that resulted in the Beretta being adopted. I've always liked the styling of the guns and have no problems with their size. The guns are a workhorse. If you put Hogue wrap around grips on them the ergonomics are actually quite good. I sold that P85 and despite the fact that it shot lousy for me (in retrospect I now realize the problem was me and not the gun) the P345, P90 that I have acquired since are great solid guns. Plus, yesterday I acquired a stainless P94 and for under $250. The P90 and P345 were similarly priced. Buying Rugers is like buying candy! If you look to them for what they are, good solid workhorses, real shooters and reasonably accurate, they are an incredible value, especially used. Around here they go in the $200's so the expenditure is pretty minimal.

Sitting in the case next to my P94 was a minty P85. I may have to correct my mistkae in selling my old one years ago. Maybe I'll take a little ride at lunch :twisted:

BTW, the trigger of the P94 makes a sound like an oil can when you dry fire it. What a hoot. That said, it's a decent trigger.

Anyone else enjoy the P Series?

Buzz

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

My son has a P345 with NRA engraved on the slide, a presentation model I guess, which he picked up for the grand sum of a $10 ticket at the local NRA members annual meeting. Some people... :mrgreen:

It's a great shooter, just a gentle, slow push more than a recoil. His 10-year-old son loves shooting it, but then he's also the grandson who loves to shoot my G29, too!
    https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3701&highlight=

You've given me food for thought. Perhaps I ought to haunt a few gun shops to see if I can find a used Ruger that will qualify as my "Baddest Pistol I can afford."
    https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3937&highlight=

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Good guns and ugly as sin.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

P.S. on Rugers.

I forgot to note that my son-in-law in Pittsburgh has a P95 which I really liked during a recent trip to the firing range up there. I didn't know Ruger made polymers but sure 'nuff, there it is, bottom on the right.

[​IMG]

https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28372#28372

And guess what I found for my son-in-law for his birthday earlier this month? A 20-round magazine by Mec-Gar for the P95. Now that's "full capacity"! :mrgreen:

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I hear that a lot. I hear people say the same thing about the Steyr which always leaves me scratching my head. Tastes are so different. Since my P85 from decades ago (right when they first came out) I have really liked the looks of the gun. To me the styling is decidedly Germanic although in reality German gun design went in other directions. The P95 grabs me the least.

Last night I realized that other than the P95 polymer I have each of the P Series major designs (I added that stainless P89 yesterday): the original design in my P89, the slab sided P94, the thicker slide of the P90, and the new polymer frame and slide of the P345. If (when) I add a P95 I'll have them all. I guess this makes me a P Series collector as well.

Still, two good guns for under $500 is pretty sweet. Plus, the P94 came with a MecGar 17 round mag. I love the way that the Ruger P mags are interchangeable.

Buzz

6. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

I had a P97DC that I just traded recently. Was a good gun. Not the best shooter in the world but it did the trick. Only reason I traded it was I wanted a CCW 9mm instead. I would probably get another P Series in the future if the price was right :D

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

One thing that confuses me is the typical comment about the P Series guns: " I had one, built like a brick ****house, ate everything that I fed it, reliable and accurate". The operative word here, and where the confusion comes in, is the word "had". When you look at how the gun is described it's hard not to notice that those attributes are that of the perfect gun. It also seems that Rugers get sold as fodder towards other guns but it seems to me that the resale value of Rugers isn't the best. I guess it would depend upon what you want and what you have, but they do seem to get sold off frequently despite being good solid performers.

SOmetimes I think it's an image thing where folks look down upon the brand as a whole.

BTW, anyone have an early blued P85 MkI they want to get rid of?

Buzz

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

And speaking of brand image, look at Steyr with guns being sold new for the price of a used Ruger.

Craziness.

Buzz

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Buzz :)

There's nothin' shitty about Ruger. I'm notta bit Ruger autoloadin' customer cause of the grip in my hand. I got small hands. But, if your talkin' bout hand cannons, I gotta 5" Super Blackhawk (44 Rem Mag) and a 4-5/8" Blackhawk (45 Colt) that I use for saddle guns. I never jump on my pony and head out into the high country w/o one of 'em strapped to my side. A 250 gr RN Cast bullet at over 1300 fps from my 45 Colt comes in handy in the Colorado Rockies. I even reload BB shotshells for grouse. <shrug> And, all the loads that I use are in separate reloading tables in all the popular reloading manuals cause of +P+ load tolerances. Only a 1st class firearm will allow for these tremendous +P pressures for hunting. :shock: The same built in strength applies to all of their firearms that I've personally come to know and appreciate. Maybe there isn't quite the tooling finesse as there can be with more expensive firearms, but with Ruger, "inexpensive, utilitarian, reliable, tried and true" all come to mind. <shrug>

Wulf <-- cut 'is teeth on fine Ruger firearms :)

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Wulf, I think you are correct.

My hands are on the largish side so grip size isn't all that important to me. And while the ergonomics of most of the stock P Series isn't the best, a bit outdated, the addition of Hogue grips to the metal famed guns, something you invariably see (for a cost of $17), the handling charactersitics are wonderful. Come to think of it, I dont think I've seen a metal framed P Series gun offered used without Hogues. Plus, the polymer framed P345 (which did have some teething problems that have since been straightened out) is actually perfect for smaller hands.

I think that to a degree it is some of that "roughness" to the guns that appeals to me. While I would never abuse any gun, the Ruger is one I will (and have) carried in some pretty rough conditions without worrying about roughing it up. I guess the Ruger P Series is sort of the opposite of a safe queen.

Still, they're like buying candy! :D

Buzz

11. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

Ruger P-series pistols are certainly workhorses. Like a Timex, they take lickin' and keep on tickin'! The P-89 and P-90 are often called "Bricks w/ triggers", as they can take a serious amount of abuse and still perform. The P-90 was originally designed to use the 10mm round, but Ruger had a last minute change of heart as they didn't think a 10mm pistol would sell. So, The P-90 is 45acp built to handle 10mm pressures!

I've gotta KP-95DC that I've had for 10 years now. It doesn't get much range time anymore, but it's there if I need it.
    _______
    mugdava

12. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Now that I think about it, those attributes would make a good wife. :lol:

Buzz

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If I may be forgiven for jumping slightly off-topic, any opinions or expertise on this Ruger knockoff?

I got an email for this Ruger copy, Heritage Arms Rough Rider Combo Single Action Rimfire Revolver with ADCO Red Dot scope included.

[​IMG]

It looks identical to my son's Ruger single-action .22 LR/.22 Magnum, but a heck of a lot cheaper, $162.81!

http://www.topglock.com/Item.aspx?PID=3889

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Characteristics of a Glock without whatever little cachet or name recognition Glocks have.

15. devildave31

devildave31 Guest

I just got my hands on a p90 a couple of weeks ago, and I really like it. It's my first DA/SA and I really like the SA trigger pull. I wish it could carry a couple more rounds though, I only have a 7 rd mag. It's also my first .45 and I'm impressed at the recoil and muzzle flip (or lack) compared to smaller calibers that I have fired.

16. dtask

dtask Member

I own and love the Ruger P345 - and I think that it's great looking too. All of my wheel guns bear the Ruger name.

17. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

If someone you didn't want to take advantage of was selling a used P89 in good shape with the two-tone slide, ambi decocker, and two 15 round mags, and had absolutely no idea what to charge, what would be a good price?

18. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

I owned a P90DC for many years. And a brick it was. Great gun, never gave me a trouble ever. But it was just too thick for CCW. I traded it plus my extra mags for a Steyr GB. I got the better end of the deal!!

19. goinpostal

goinpostal New Member

Years ago G&A did a torture test comparison(sand box,mud,ice,ect.)between the P89,and a S&W .357mag wheel gun.Guess what?The P89 won hands down.The P89 hung up abit but would still fire.It just needed to be smacked a couple of times loosening the dirt,to be fully functional.The S&W was jammed solid,and had to be disassembled,and cleaned thoroughly tobe right again.