Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  CGuns 
#1 ·
I,m thinking about buying a ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle, anyone have any
input on that weapon? :?

#7 ·
I said Stainless because it has an application in Stainless because of the finish....Good boat gun.
Like Madecov mentioned, it features minute of car door accuracy. Heats up big style. Not my cup o' tea.
If it functioned more like an M14 in a smaller envelope, it would have been a different story. But you are not getting the same level of quality.

At least in my opinion.

What kind of rifle do you want? I think the AR-180's are an often over looked rifle. They are neat guns. The Sterling versions is rare. The currently produced Armalite AR-180B has a plastic lower, unlike the original. Those that complain about "cheap sheet metal" should realize that the SIG550 also features stamped sheet metal construction. The AR-180 operating system works. The Brits copied it on their new Enfield bullpup and the Krauts copied it on their G36 series....

Might be a better alternative.

#8 ·
How about the Robinson Arms battle rifle?? Rumor has it that people who get one, don't like shooting they're AR's anymore........forgot what the model designation is.......

#9 ·
I don't believe anyone actually has them yet.

Still in production and they need to produce some parts for it still, so that is probably a little premature.

The Robinson Arms M96 Expeditionary rifle, modeled after the Stoner, took about 2-3 years to get the kinks worked out of it.
Because of this, I will watch from the sidelines as to the XCR. If it is deemed good after others become guinea pigs, then I will buy one.

#10 ·
Saiga

for the money...look into the Saiga in .223.....should be able to get one for under 300. Can be adapted to take hi-cap mags (beware of 922r complience if you do this!!) The Saiga is russian made by Izhmash Arsenal, previously imported by EAA, now being imported by RAAC. It is essntially a sporter version of an AK. A well battle tested design.....

go to http://forum.saiga-12.com/ for lots more info.

#11 ·
RAACFIREARMS is not operational yet. We (S-12 members) have been told repeatedly that guns would be here months ago and they have yet to arrive.

The Saiga, while a good choice, will limit the user heavily magazine-wise.

The Russian Izhmash factory decided to change the feed ramp geometry and to proprietize their magazines. Thus, even on 7.62 Saiga rifles, you cannot use standard AK mags without some serious modifications to the magazines themselves or to the feed ramp itself.

I DO NOT recommend the Romanian AK's chambered in the .223 caliber. Stay far, far away. The Romanian "engineers" did not understand that the .223 would produce considerably higher chamber pressures than the 7.62 round. As a result, it is a hacked rifle and they had to do some backyard engineering to get it to function with reliability.

#12 ·
true enough

From what i heard recently, "the boat has finally arrived" and the saiga's are supposed to be on hte shelves in a couple weeks....and the check is in the mail.....just have to wait and see.

true about the mag limitations....

didn't know about the romanian .223 probs...thanks for that info CGuns!

#13 ·
I have a VEPR KIR 223 from Robinson Arms that is Russian made and customized.......Well made and very reliable and accurate. It has the FAL type weaver rail on top that takes a DOT scope nicely.....Mags are plentiful, though a bit pricey....but they are 30 rounders....so no modifications necesary

#14 ·
breechplug,

If you are really interested in a Mini-14, go to http://www.perfectunion.com. They have a really good Mini-14 forum there. I'd stay away from them if you don't like to tinker with your guns. The minis do take some tuning to improve their accuracy. Mags are not a problem if you stick with the proven ones from PMI or factory Ruger and the minis, like most Rugers, are very reliable. A rifle to take pride in since you can make it better.

I use my Ranch rifle at the local 3-gun matches (25 to 300+ yard course)and have no problems keeping up and beating the AR's that cost more than twice as much as long as there aren't too many mag changes required in the course of fire.

#15 ·
Re: true enough

RangerM9 said:
From what i heard recently, "the boat has finally arrived" and the saiga's are supposed to be on hte shelves in a couple weeks....and the check is in the mail.....just have to wait and see.

true about the mag limitations....

didn't know about the romanian .223 probs...thanks for that info CGuns!

RAAC Firearms has been saying "The boat has finally arrived" for several months. I remember hearing it June/July of last year, with them stating that stuff would be shipping in August. They cry wolf.

Stay far, far away from the Romanian .223 AK clones. The SAR variety is a good rifle. The 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are ok for the money.

I am an Arsenal man myself. :)

#16 ·
Steyr made the barrel in this thing....that is why I bought it.
It has a Steyr Hammer Forged Barrel, Chrome Lined.
Supposedly the best barrel possible in an AK.
I believe it....And the Zastava Yugo AK's with Yugo barrels are also superb.

This is a Bulgarian Arsenal AK with Milled Receiver, made by Bulgarian technicians, not the American assembled version sold by Arsenal.

It is a Real man's rifle, as it is about 2# heavier than a stamped receiver AK. Feels as robust as the Galil or the Finnish Valmet. It is finished just as well, IMHO. And you won't feel bad using it because it doesn't cost $3K.

Don't mind the thumbhole stock. Surgery will begin in about a week, as I have SADF (South African Defense Force) Galil parts en route. Folding stock, brand new L flip sights, brand new tritium night sights, etc....

If you are an old timer that was around back in the 1980's when the cooool stuff was for sale, you will recognize the ammo boxes...:)

Oh yes, the trigger is superb. So very light. Unlike any AK trigger that I have ever experienced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.