Rudolph

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Alabama, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Well, ER's pleaded guilty and released his manifesto --

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahas ... tstory.jsp

Since more than a few here take the SHTF scenario seriously enough to plan for it, I'm curious about your thoughts on Rudolph's five years in the woods... It seems from the text it wasn't all that difficult for him. In fact, within two years he had planned and nearly executed another attack.
    I have to admit I'm fascinated by the inner workings of his mind at the same time I'm repulsed by his actions/politics.
    More Manson or more Kaczinski? Anyone?

2. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

What an interesting lunatic.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

"Any conscientious individual afflicted with homosexuality should acknowledge that a healthy society requires a model of sexual behavior to be held up and maintained without assault. Like other humans suffering from various disabilities homosexuals should not attempt to infect the rest of society with their particular illness."

What can you say to that? That guy is crazy, but there are a lot of people that think like that. Scary.

4. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

The really scary part is that if you truly believe that life begins at conception, he makes an excellent argument and I'm a bit concerned a movement might result.

5. alagator

alagator New Member

Seems to me that bombing and such is counterproductive. While I don't agree with his views, I do believe we have a way for them to be expressed effectively and non-violently. It is called a ballot. Let's save the bombs and bullets for scenarios where the ballot has been ignored. God knows Birmingham has had enough bombs. Ineffective bombs that destroyed lives of law-abiding citizens. Today, in Birmingham, black citizens have equal rights and women get abortions, despite the bombs.

6. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Thank God for Birmingham!

Now that it's been a few days, and after a good re-read, I'm beginning to wonder if Rudolph actually laid out in the woods for five years. He was vague about it in the statement, was well-groomed and clean when he was caught and it doesn't make sense that he had enough food stored to make his life easy enough to ponder another attack, yet still went dumpster diving in Murphy. Five years on the lam and you go dumpster diving and get caught by a cop on the beat. It's like a master jewel theif getting caught lifting a pack of gum. Doesn't add up, and that a country boy can survive was the only thing about Rudolph that ever caught my imagination. I think now that he spent five years in safe houses in Michigan, Indiana, N.C. or whereever....

Any 'vast right-wing conspiracy' theorists?

7. alagator

alagator New Member

Bombingham

Gotta agree with the idea of outside support. Backpacking out west we figure 1.5-2 pounds of food per day for active adults at altitude. Just sitting around in the Smokies you would need a tremendous amount of food stashed to last 5 years. Living off the land? The last people to do that year round were Native Americans, and the most productive parts of the landscape hadn't been converted to buildings and pavement. It's really hard to hunt/gather and remain hidden. So the two questions that I want answered-
    1. Where has he been (or who was helping him)?
    2. What happened to the support (why was he reduced to dumpster diving)?

8. Alabama

Alabama New Member

My point exactly, 'gator...
    Problem is, I'm suspicious we know exactly where he was, who supported him, when he moved and more. You protect those who can hurt you. Was he reduced to dumpster diving or just told to? I guess we're 'sposed to believe now that Rudolph acted alone, just like McVeigh, and now that he's pleaded guilty there's nothing more to be found out about bombings, etc. Nobody recalls that multiple black churches across the country were burnt/bombed pretty close to that time...

On another note, personally, I've quit calling Birmingham that way. There're plenty of folk in Ohio and New York that demean Alabama (No offense, anyone), and I'm not willing to help them out.

It's easy to forget or ignore that for every bomb thrown in Birmingham plenty of folk came out with food, clothing and support for the victims, and they weren't all black. Community and neighbors are just as vital in Birmingham as they are in the country. My suspicon is you're more intimately aware of that than I am...

9. alagator

alagator New Member

You are so right about community. That tired old barb was sarcasm on my part, but I forget that the world doesn't know about the real "good people of Alabama" who have struggled mightily for 40 years to overcome the legacy of violence.
    Today Birmingham is a good combination of city and small town. We have largely left the past behind us. People from all over the world come here to work in our medical and financial centers, and there is more cultural diversity and tolerance than anyone would have dreamed about 50 years ago. So I will let the world in on the secret- Birmingham is a great place to live, especially if you are outdoor oriented. We've got hunting and fishing galore. Like whitetails? Our gun season is 2.5 months long, and the bag limit is 2 per day. Add another 5 weeks of bow only, and we can hunt deer from Oct 15 thru Jan 31. Plus, the weather is warm, and so are the women! Y'all come on down!
    So here comes this idiot Rudolph and starts blowing up Atlanta and Birmingham because we have women's clinics and gay night spots. This guy reminds me of Osama. He can't persuade people, so he will just terrorize them.