rifle triggers for M and SSG 69

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by 7x64, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 7x64

7x64 New Member

Are the triggers the same for the Model M/S/L the same as the SSG 69? I picked up an older Model M '06 yesterday with the type 1 non adjustable trigger. It would be fine for bench work but at under 1.5 pounds its too light in general. Steyr said I could buy the type 2 for bukoo bucks, but I see a trigger on a site for a lot less that is supposed to be for the SSG69. Thing is, it looks exactly like pix on Egunparts for the M/S rifle trigger and shares the same number on the side. It appears to me to be the same trigger. Thoughts??

2. 7x64

7x64 New Member

Well I found out for myself. Steyr says they are interchangable. I didnt get the SSG trigger on ebay, but got an M/S triiger off Egunparts for nearly a third of what Steyr wanted. I had to send the rifle in for service as it had a weird malady. If you pushed the bolt handle down at all while fully retracted, it would flip down out of battery and it only took a few pounds of pressure to do this. This is the older model M without the takedown plunger on the root of the bolt handle. 'Smith at Steyr says he (may) be able to make it totally reliable! He didnt sound to encouraging. Second rifle in a row bought off GB that had to get sent back to the factory right off. I sure wish sellers would be more forthcoming with info on their listings. Without knowing that such a thing was possible there is no way a potential buyer would know to ask about it. The other rifle I sent back, built in 1980 would not feed properly of all things! Think someone before me would have had that fixed before now. Factory fixed it and sent it back, no charge. Steyr is already talking about how much this repair is going to cost me. OY!

3. 7x64

7x64 New Member

Steyr repaired this rifle and is sending it back now for a total of $71 including shipping, so cant squeak about that. 'Smith tells me it should be good to go but could still push off if tried hard enough. I look forward to getting it back, great shooter.

4. 7x64

7x64 New Member

Got it back yesterday and it appears to be much improved though the only way to know for sure is whack the bolt handle down with authority and see what happens. Well, I aint gonna do that! Put a new trigger in it today, the single adjustable. Had to open up the plastic insert to accommodate the rear of the unit but thats done. The original trigger was just TOOOOO light and not adjustable. This unit as set is about 4.5# or so, maybe a tad more. Feels about right, taking it to the range tomorrow.